CMDante's Warhammer 40k Vehicle Bronze entry to GDUK 2011

CM Dante

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZCJ36mfOlN0/Toow14FoxRI/AAAAAAAAAZE/h1HFUraRacs/s1600/IMG_0903.JPG

More pics up on my blog of my entry to this year's Golden Demon which took Bronze in 40k Vehicle Category.

Lots of good entries again this year so pleased to have placed. As I was pushed for time (2 weeks from clean up and build to finished) I feel there are plenty of areas I could do better/more on without the time pressure.

Tried plenty of new things on this model, including using enamels, AK Interactive weathering products, Mr Super Metallics, making icicles and making my own decals, so expect plenty of articles on these topics on my blog soon.

Cheers,

Dante

:)

^ I usually refrain from using that, but I feel it's completely justified upon seeing your work. I wish you would post here more often, or do more Marine-related pieces. Either way, it's an excellent model, one that really does "tell a story". Flawless work with the snow, combined with one hell of a paint-job.

Amazing work, buddy. :P

Thanks guys. I really would post here more often but I just haven't had a lot of time for forums in general lately and also haven't worked on much marine stuff these last few years (2 this year though!). I'll try and be more active.

The red (helmet) was done using an airbrushed base of red gore, with a top down airbrushed highlight of red gore with a bit of blood red. It was then highlighted adding more blood red and blending to the edges. Bronzed flesh was mixed in to the highlights towards the edges and a touch of White was added for the final edge highlights.

Shading was done by first using P3 sanguine base, then mixing in regal blue more for the deepest shades and towards the back of the head (in shadow). This was a bit of back and forth with some glazes of red gore to bring things back if it got too blue looking.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Dante

There a few things I think I could have done better on this with more time but the weathering isn't something I'd have changed really.

I'm not a fan of the overly weathered look - I think marines would take more care over their equipment than just leaving it to rust and get scratched to hell even between campaigns.

This guy is intended to be fighting in the most recent defence of Macragge so I don't think it'd make sense to have him look tattered up.

There are a fair amount of small scratches and chips that don't really show in the pics, but overall I'm happy with the weathering.

@ doghouse - cheers mate! Didn't realise it was the logo from the game until you said but I guess it's a nice tie in (if accidental!)

Cheers,

Dante

Archived