Razorback

Brother Tual

Does anyone use the TLHF razorback? I have never seen one played. There are obvious draw backs and difficulties but is an interesting support vehicle with great potential.

Thoughts on this Razorback loadout?

True, but I intend to use it very aggressively. Ive never seen them used. The upgrade is slightly cheaper than the other options and fits in perfectly with my list. I cant source 10 more points and this is when I noticed the TLHF.

The thing about getting your own troops only comes into consideration if moving 6 inches or under. At this rate I will probably be dis-embarking before movement (so I can assault) and this allows me to manouvre so I can flame without hitting my own troops. If I move over 6 inches I cant shoot anyway. I cant see this being a major issue really.

Against armies who care it will become a fire magnet though and I expect the enemy general to try to destroy or stun-lock it. Flammenpanzer don't exactly have the greatest track record historically. But I could see it in a Khan list where it becomes a gamble.

Alex

Just going to put this out there, but if you're running into template weapon range, a flamestorm cannon is much better, and you get a lot more oomph out of a Baal. A Razorback is just there to shore up your deficiencies. For an Assault Squad, which 90% of your razorbacks are hauling, that means a heavy weapon. And a heavy weapon means Las or LasPlas.

Looks like solid responses so far.

That being said, it sounds like it'd be fun for rooting some Imperial Guard out of a bunker with that Razorback and some Tac squad. I wouldn't expect to see it in a tournament, but I'd love to field one of those in a fluff game.

I would consider the use of a Razorback with a heavy flamer in a Space Marine list as opposite to what has been considered here. Instead of a Transport supporting an attack, in many games I would consider it to be a useful deterent and back up for objective campers and fire support units against fast moving, deep striking and outflanking units.

Consider those Genestealers coming on table only to find themselves flamed to death. Or Wolf Scouts.

Otherwise the weak armour just screams out situational use and weak target.

i have a friend who uses them as the core of his BA list. with a unit of RAS in each with a meltagun, you have a unit that can put the willies up bot infantry and vehicles. take 4 or 5 or 6 and combined with the 'fast vehicle' special rule and sheild of sanguinius they dont die too bad either. he usually aims to get at least 2 (usually 3 or more)templates over a unit, and when wounding on 3+ with a re-roll, theres suddenly a lot of saves to make.

and the kicker? i think they cost about 15pts for a BA RAS!

AM

They are only really wort it for BA and we get them fast and cheaper. I have no idea what GW thought about when they did that. :D

I don't run them often myself but I'd much rather take the heavy flamer than the heavy bolter for the times when I run non upgraded razorbacks.

Cheers guys. I use Codex marines. I wish I could get the BA version.

The inards of this Razorback will be a 5 man unit with flamer/combi flamer and basic librarian with avenger. I am considering this razorback to counter the loss of the firing point from upgrading from the rhino and the ability to do 'drive bys'. The HB just doesnt cut it and the TLLC/LASPLS isnt really the best upgrade considering my intention with this unit. The TLAC would be my first choice however I dont have the extra 10 points.

Good O Idaho. I have this unit in mind to be used as a loose counter unit. Blocking a flanking/infiltrating attack with this unit is perfect.

I am not convinced the tlHF Razor is a good thing. That doesn't mean it cannot be made to work, but is not an optimal choice. It depends if want a challenge from your units :P

What will it do against Shooty lists [Guard, IG] or Movey lists [Tau, Eldar]?

The Rhino getting weapon destroyed loses its Storm bolter. But the squad can still use it as a Bunker or as a drive by facilitator. The FlameBack is fairly poor once a weapon destroyed is suffered.

Heavy flamers work on Speeders and Dreadnoughts as AV. I don't see it working on the humble Rhino chassis. The BolterBack can still get kills behind the safety of cover, whereas the FlameBack suffers even more profoundly from the issues you already sited as hamstringing MM bunkers, or a Mg drive by.

That is what theoryhammer tells me, anyway :(

+++

FlameBacks really needed the multi-tracker [that Tau get] to allow it to fire as a fast vehicle. Like the old SoB enjoyed.

Oh well.

FlameBacks really needed the multi-tracker [that Tau get] to allow it to fire as a fast vehicle. Like the old SoB enjoyed.

Oh well.

one of the chaps i play against uses BA, and he loves thier fast vehicles, imagine preds, vindies and razorbacks that can all move 12" and fire thier main weapons.. its very scary, and highlights the problems with codex creep.

our poor C:SM is outclassed by many newer marine armies.. its a shame really.

i think the flameback can work with C:SM in the right 'mix' as it were, but i feel the BA dex offers more value for the flameback

edit: shoddy spelling

Archived