Who the hell is he?

Finn

I'm fairly certain the one on the left is the Stig while the other is Good Guy Greg.

More seriously:

The man on the left is obviously a wannabe Cypher who seems to have misplaced his pistols in favor of a bolter. The other guy is simply his drinking buddy and best pal. Other than that I'd say they look like some tough as nails marines that have been swept up in decades of bloody fighting amongst alien and brother alike in and around the Eye. With the years of fighting entire companies of their chapter have been wiped out to the man and weapons and equipment have been scavenged from many different sources. Entire chunks of their history is simply lost - taken to the graves by those who carried it. No longer sure of their true allegieance or purpose the remaining marines of the "insert name here" set out to look for answers to their own mysterious past.

Other than that I'd say they look like some tough as nails marines that have been swept up in decades of bloody fighting amongst alien and brother alike in and around the Eye. With the years of fighting entire companies of their chapter have been wiped out to the man and weapons and equipment have been scavenged from many different sources. Entire chunks of their history is simply lost - taken to the graves by those who carried it. No longer sure of their true allegieance or purpose the remaining marines of the "insert name here" set out to look for answers to their own mysterious past.
I like that.

Emperor-forsaken but not crazy enough to turn to chaos.

It's a classic voyage of self-discovery, albeit a voyage involving inserting explosive bullets into things that keep trying to kill them.

Thanks for replies, guys. I guess I'll just make up some of my own background for these guys. I don't want them to be chaotic, but I'd like to reflect their savage vibe in their fluff. Possibly they will become a renegade chapter not devoted to the Dark Powers, but still at odds with Imperium, using whatever equipment falls in their hands. Probably the Soul Drinkers reference was the closest one to what I was trying to achieve, but I just hate SD paintscheme :P

That's actually kinda the way I see the Iron Warriors honestly. They don't (typically) worship daemons or dark gods but rather will use them if it suits their purposes but prefer machines & explosions to do their dirty work.

I'd focus on the chains.

If chaos. They could be used to hold back posession, the chaos within, keep back berserker urges, formely imprisoned by the imperium for their taint, etc. If imperial, it could be similar to the sisters repentia on a squad or chapter scale, a chapter once on the edge of corruption, could be some form of warding chaos, or a specific squad, like the blood angels' death company.

something makes me want to say sternguard veterans.....really want to say that. They seem not quit spikey enough or malicious enough for CSM but a little to dark for your regular marine (ie UM). Maybe something like the Mortifactors? They were very grim and very morbid. But just barely stayed on the loyalist side of the line with that aspect (not speaking loyalty but "decorations"). Maybe something like that....form a successor chapter of say the BA's (you could say they have taken a fatalistic view of what the Flesh Tearers do) or an Imperial Fists. The IF's have a view to them that strikes me with the idea that under a specific set of circumstances (like recruits being so, experiences as a chapter, and home planet) that they could become very fatalistic or grimdark in their outlook and thus have that darker appearance then your joe shmoe marine.

just my two cents...but I alos like MarcAwesome's idea witht he chains too

DUDE! He'd be perfect for my Brass Spectre's story! He's not Chaos. He's not Loyalist, either. He's undecided, or vengeful, whatever! Read it to get my drift.

Call him Serpinek. Or Califel. He should could from the Black Legion, betrayed and now a Brass Spectre with salvaged armour (benefits from BTs Mixed Armour rule?)

Brass Spectres

Archived