Does infantry consolidate after downing a Walker in assault?

thade

Topic says it all. I've been under the impression for a while now that infantry does NOT consolidate after popping the walker as it is a Vehicle; while Walkers have special rules stating they do consolidate at the end combat, those rules do not contradict infantry not consolidating after popping a vehicle.

Bob Mak had this to say:

Thade. The rules for ending combat with a vehicle specifically states "... there is no combat result, and so..." pg 63 With a work there is a result as per the walker rules on how to determine the results Vs. a Walker.

This is why you get a consol against walkers but not vehicles.

(sic)

Obscure, to be sure, but it might mean I've been wrong all along. If the reason you don't consolidate after downing a vehicle is in fact the lack of combat result, then it seems you would consolidate after popping a walker...because there is a combat result!

Well? Have at it!

Well, there is always a combat result after a combat with a walker...it's just that one side (the walker) cannot run away or take No Retreat! wounds.

Every rule on page 73 points to walkers "assault/fight like infantry models." Everything on page 63 between "For a start, whilst vehicles can be assaulted, they cannot be locked in combat." and "Grenades" is entirely disregarded/overruled since walkers "can be locked in combat." and "fight like infantry."(p73).

If a walker can make sweeping advances, pile-in moves, and consolidations...why can't the infantry they fight?

Not really. Just point to the line that says "Walkers fight like infantry" and "can be locked in combat," and you throw out most page 63 with those two lines. Silly thade...but hey, at least you've been shortchanging yourself all these years, rather than playing with an unfair advantage.

Not really. Just point to the line that says "Walkers fight like infantry" and "can be locked in combat," and you throw out most page 63 with those two lines. Silly thade...but hey, at least you've been shortchanging yourself all these years, rather than playing with an unfair advantage.

I mean, the way I see the conversation going, considering my up-to-now position, is focused on Bob's reasoning there. Specifically that the reason vehicle's destroyed in combat don't allow Consolidation moves or Pile-ins, is that no combat result is calculated. Since combat results are calculated for walkers, Consolidation moves are allowed.

That seems the simplest way.

And there have been a few mistakes on my part that have garnered me an advantage over my time playing now. :\

For some reason he always rolls the blue ones for his power weapons........

The reasons for this are: my power weapons are blue; they are dice I received when donating money to Shriner's Hospital (for Battle of the Shrine). If the children deem I deserve victory, I shall have it!

It is, but it uses the rules for Gargantuan creatures in combat if I recall correctly. The main reason I asked though is just to check my interpretations are correct :HQ:

Either way, it looks like my opponent and I used the wrong rules when Mephiston engaged one in combat over the weekend...

For some reason he always rolls the blue ones for his power weapons........

The reasons for this are: my power weapons are blue; they are dice I received when donating money to Shriner's Hospital (for Battle of the Shrine). If the children deem I deserve victory, I shall have it!

My blue dice are for plasma, I have red ones for flamers.

Most of my dice are black with gold pips though.

edit: quoted wrong post

• 2 years later...

To bring it back on topic:

"In the Assault phase, super-heavy walkers once again follow the same rules as gargantuan creatures."

Hey Seahawk....

Explain what you wrote above and where these rules can be found.

Check out my situation below... I just had my first Apoc game with my Warhound and the below happened. I was a little confused.

If a warhound titan is attacked by infantry units can it still fire its main weapons?

I just had my first Apoc game and was attacked by three Chaos Termies who assaulted it's toes... I was told it could not fire its Turbo Lasers while being in hand to hand... Is this true? A warhound with a 12 movement can't step out of melee or just continue to fire its guns?

Seems silly so I thought I would ask the forum.

If there are rules concerning this please point them out to me.

On the positive side before that the warhound took out two Lords of Skulls and two Baneblades in two turns before being locked up in hand to hand with the 3 said HERO Chaos Termies.

To bring it back on topic:

"In the Assault phase, super-heavy walkers once again follow the same rules as gargantuan creatures."

Hey Seahawk....

Explain what you wrote above and where these rules can be found.

Check out my situation below... I just had my first Apoc game with my Warhound and the below happened. I was a little confused.

If a warhound titan is attacked by infantry units can it still fire its main weapons?

I just had my first Apoc game and was attacked by three Chaos Termies who assaulted it's toes... I was told it could not fire its Turbo Lasers while being in hand to hand... Is this true? A warhound with a 12 movement can't step out of melee or just continue to fire its guns?

Seems silly so I thought I would ask the forum.

If there are rules concerning this please point them out to me.

On the positive side before that the warhound took out two Lords of Skulls and two Baneblades in two turns before being locked up in hand to hand with the 3 said HERO Chaos Termies.

I think I found where you are talking anout this....

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/a/apoc6thupdate.pdf

page 4 means all non supers and gargant must step off and out of hand to hand at the end of the combat.

Archived