Landspeeder Storm

SirDuck13

Hey all,

Good info in this thread!

I just acquired one of these models, and I'm amazed by the coolness (so far - everything is still on sprues mind you :P). It leads me to wonder, though... what do people do about WYSIWYG? The Scout body parts don't lend themselves to easy conversions, and the Scouts don't look like they will be especially removable once they disembark.

Also wanted to clarify something else: even though it appears from the model that you would need a gunner to operate the heavy bolter, I don't see anything in the rules requiring it. It can be fired even if the Storm is empty, right?

hi brother Yroc, ill answer the last first

the gunner is one of the passengers, when he disembarks the weapon can still shoot, its not very good continuity from GW tbh.

some people leave thier storms empty (i do now) previously i had one that i converted to have all shotguns, it took alot of work.

i also put the main gun under the hull now to show that the pilot firesit, removes that awful continuity problem

GC08 pretty much got it right on. I put the weapon on the bottom. A multimelta or heavy flamer... or a magnet so you can switch them between games... will fit nicely under the hull next to the cerebrus launcgers. I also left the scouts off and just deploy them onto the board once they disembark.

I've been playing with the storm off and on now for the last few months, and I have to say it really feels like a high risk high reward pick.

Positive: So far the best value that I've gotten out of it is by deploying it so that it influences how my opponent deploys. If I put the tri-melta storm somewhere that I threaten an alpha strike, and my opponent plays around that strategy, then even if I don't kill anything with the storm it had a very real impact on the game because it made my opponent play defensively instead of offensively. I've had some luck with outflanking and taking out soft targets, but on those occasions I've really wanted a combi-flamer and heavy flamer... so I might be mixing it up in the future. At least I magnetized the storm's weapon and I have another scout sarge so it's an easy switch.

Negative: My only real complaint is that it should be a dedicated transport OR should be allowed to be taken in squadrons. Either of those two options would have made it really great. As it is now, it puts some pressure on FAST attack slots which competes against MM attack bikes and Typhoon speeders in my army.

-Myst

Negative: My only real complaint is that it should be a dedicated transport OR should be allowed to be taken in squadrons. Either of those two options would have made it really great. As it is now, it puts some pressure on FAST attack slots which competes against MM attack bikes and Typhoon speeders in my army.

^^ this... and this some more.

they really need to be dedicated transports, those FA slots are valuable for mobile reaction and control.

i swear on my oath as a scout player, that if 6th ed makes them dedicated i will run a air cav scout army, taking 6 of them plus additional speeders..

lets hope they come through for me ;)

edit: to further answer the conversion point i actually switched the LSS cerberus lanuchers for two smoke launchers and placed them either side of the main gun, makes it look much more symmetrical

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/117.jpg

Pig Iron heads? They look pretty good on the scout bodies. Very nice.

I think the modeler in me probably wants to mount the scouts (although possibly with new heads) more than the gamer in me cares about WYSIWYG. The scout poses really help make the model for me. I have a bit of time to think on it anyway, while I finish some of the other dozen or so projects that I have on the go. Really appreciate the advice, though.

Nice scouts GC08. I love the hazard stripes. Wish I had enough patience to pull that off.

Here's what it looks like with the cerebrus launchers still in place and the weapon off set. Same no-crew concept.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj29/mysticaria/storm2-1.jpg

-Myst

Archived