Starting to build my city

bmcsw007

Ok, I finally made a game table and purchased a zuzzy game mat (the broken blacktop city terrain). While I waiting for the mat to come in, I've started planning how I want to set up my city. Here is a pic of how I am imagining it. The main building will be on city blocks with sidewalks, a small 4 block "neighborhood", and then an industrial sector. Any area not covered by structures will be considered a road. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on bulding a city?

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff516/BMCSW007/2011-10-10_11-22-08_104.jpg

Get a digital camera (or cell camera, whatever)

Play Fallout 3

Steal ideas left and right

Or, you can do this without getting distracted by gameplay.

Rust, graffiti, if the civilians didn't all evacuate early then a couple of corpses, scrawled messages (a la Left 4 Dead) little hidey holes and stuff like that.

It'll be the little touches that really bring it out and make it pop as an urban cityscape. Things like posters, graffiti, bits of trash and so on. Think of as many cool details as you can to enhance the mood that you're going for.

Looking like a good foundation that you're building on, I'll be watching for more updates. :D

Roger that on the posters and graffiti... With that being said, should I go with more of a gothic / imperial style or modern city. I relize 40k is in the future, but I've seen alot of different styles for cities.

Roger that on the posters and graffiti... With that being said, should I go with more of a gothic / imperial style or modern city. I relize 40k is in the future, but I've seen alot of different styles for cities.

If I was gonna do something like this, I'd take my inspiration from warzones and places with authoritarian governments and the like. So down at the street level below all the gothic architecture and statues you'd have propaganda posters and religious icons, state messages, etc. And then on street corners and in alley ways you'd get scrawled messages of desperation, anger and fear... a way for an oppressed populace to express themselves before hurrying away into the shadows. Ideally one would be over the other, so a looming 'GOVERNOR GAIUS LORENUS WANTS YOU FOR IMPERIAL SERVICE' poster might have graffiti hurriedly sprayed on the bottom edge saying something like 'no more deaths!' or 'the people will rise up!', etc. Examples off the top of my head, I'd take the time to think up something catchier.

Style wise, definitely gothic/imperial. You've already got the beginnings of that style going on, and really over the top of the huge towers and walkways and industrial stuff you'll have all the signs of a modern day city anyway if you're going for full detail because ultimately people live in the place so there'll always be litter and bars and street lamps and parked vehicles and all that stuff.

I'd suggest going to www.hirstarts.com and having a look see at Bruce's terrain molds (which can also be used for base conversion and the like). While they're pointed at D&D and other RPGs, there's a fair few people who use them to cast up 40k terrain.

Archived