Army Layout - How many HQ's?

Sparx Macgyver

In the Codex Astartes, it states that for a standard mission, you have 1 HQ mandatory, but may take one as an option. My friend whom is just getting into the game asked em if you can take more than just the standard mission layout. Like 3 HQ's, or 4 Heavy Support options. I don't have the rulebook or knowledge of the game to actually answer this, so I turn to you guys. Are you allowed to take more than just the standard layout? Obviously both players would have to agree to it.

There's two answers to this.

Officially: No, you may not take more than the choices shown on the Force Organization Chart.

Unofficially: If the two of you want to play a game that ignores the FOC altogether, go for it! Just don't expect a random person, or someone at the local game store, to be okay with playing a game by your house rules. :lol:

As Wyck said, the official ruling is a max of two HQs for a normal FOC. Some codecies break this a bit: Space Wolves have a custom FOC, for instance, allowing them more characters than normal as HQs...and beyond that, some ICs are Elite choices (Sanguine Priests, Lone Wolves, vanilla Techmarines, and the like).

Are you allowed to take more than just the standard layout? Obviously both players would have to agree to it.

Always keep in mind that you can do absolutely anything if both players agree to it. The rules are really a) a framework, and b) a reference for what the "default" is when playing with random strangers. They aren't a prison.

and beyond that, some ICs are Elite choices (Sanguine Priests, Lone Wolves, vanilla Techmarines, and the like).

Lone Wolves are not Independent Characters.

V

Apocalypse? Really? Bring every single thing you have? I might have to look into that. Planetstrike looks like it could be fun as well. Thanks guys for the input.

The funny thing is, just by discussing what we want and are thinking of doing in terms of armies, we have gotten my brother and 2 other game group friends to join up and are going to be buying an army as well. I'm going to be collection SM, IG, and Necron, maybe some Tyranid or Tau down the line, or maybe even Ork, though not till after I get a good chunk of army built. My friend that I refer to in this post is going to go IG, with maybe some SoB or other such, my brother will be either SM or Ork's, and the other two are SM and Tyranid's, respectively.

Older editions of the game had actual mission types that used different FOCs similar to planetstrike & spearhead, try to find a copy of the 4th ed rulebook for examples of this. None of those feature more than 2 HQ choices but that doesn't mean you couldn't use this as an idea for your own missions in which theres a good reason to have multiple HQ choices. Though I feel if you wanted to houserule chaplains, techmarines & librarians as part of a command squad in place of the regular marines in the command squad so it'd be: chaplain, librarian, techmarine, standard bearer, apothecary, if you're paying that kinda points for a unit, I'd see no problem w/ that. That was the way the old command squads were, after all.

Older editions and house rules, interesting as they are, are issues outside the parameters of the +OR+ - let's keep this in the focus of the current 40K and its derivatives.

Archived