New DA for an old hand.

Emperors Immortals

Hi guys - I want to play DA.

Now please hear me out - ive been a 40k tragic for at least 12 years (it gets a little hazy, but i remember Dark Millenium being launched and being amazed by the tactical expansion lol) and in that time i have fielded almost every major chapter at one point or another.Currently i am running a mech/DoA BA successor with a metric boatload of Death Co (the Immortal Blood Hawks, who are now 9 years old yay!), a mobile plasma SW force, a 2nd co. Ultramarine army and a combined world eater/night lords warband with a Slaanesh auxilery named "Violent Excess". I run my armies to be enjoyable and also for the back story, winning is usualy a pleasant side effect.

Recently i was given a copy of the DA codex and i fell in love with the wing helmeted company master again and so im going to sell some minis and start a DA force.

Now i need some help......I want to make a force that is not broken and not weak, but mpost importantly fits the background and canon of DA.

The sort of things i love are the old paint scheme, dreadnoughts (i have about 15 various dreads already and i want more - hey you never know when an Apocolypse game could break out!.........dont judge me...), land speeders, circles within circles ( i love conspiracies...at least thats i want me to believe) and tac squads.

I already have armies to cover a love of Jump Pack psycho death, big bore cannon and general savage goodness, and im also set for chaotic enemies to hunt - so im sort of looking at a combined force.Ive been collecting the traitor forces from the Seige of Vraaks books and am so im wondering if that might be a start to use 5th co, but i cant find out if there particularily special or not.I dont know whether to use DA themselves or a successor chapter, as i love the consectrators fluff but must paint the dark green DA scheme, is there an easy way to make that fit the established canon?

Thanks for any replies guys and i look forward to contributing to the board.

Hi guys - I want to play DA.

Now please hear me out - ive been a 40k tragic for at least 12 years (it gets a little hazy, but i remember Dark Millenium being launched and being amazed by the tactical expansion lol) and in that time i have fielded almost every major chapter at one point or another.Currently i am running a mech/DoA BA successor with a metric boatload of Death Co (the Immortal Blood Hawks, who are now 9 years old yay!), a mobile plasma SW force, a 2nd co. Ultramarine army and a combined world eater/night lords warband with a Slaanesh auxilery named "Violent Excess". I run my armies to be enjoyable and also for the back story, winning is usualy a pleasant side effect.

My attitude exactly!!! Although the mix and variety of your forces so far seems like a "Violent Excess" in its own right :).

Recently i was given a copy of the DA codex and i fell in love with the wing helmeted company master again and so im going to sell some minis and start a DA force.

Now i need some help......I want to make a force that is not broken and not weak, but mpost importantly fits the background and canon of DA.

The sort of things i love are the old paint scheme, dreadnoughts (i have about 15 various dreads already and i want more - hey you never know when an Apocolypse game could break out!.........dont judge me...), land speeders, circles within circles ( i love conspiracies...at least thats i want me to believe) and tac squads.

I already have armies to cover a love of Jump Pack psycho death, big bore cannon and general savage goodness, and im also set for chaotic enemies to hunt - so im sort of looking at a combined force.Ive been collecting the traitor forces from the Seige of Vraaks books and am so im wondering if that might be a start to use 5th co, but i cant find out if there particularily special or not.I dont know whether to use DA themselves or a successor chapter, as i love the consectrators fluff but must paint the dark green DA scheme, is there an easy way to make that fit the established canon?

Thanks for any replies guys and i look forward to contributing to the board.

5th FTW!!! It's funny we had a similar topic yesterday... (about the 5th that is). They are not particularly special unless you make them! :).

Now I am not your best shot advising on the competitive army list but fluff wise here is my take:

You inevitably will have to do some Deathwing (i.e. 1st Comp. that only deploys in Terminator armour) and some Ravenwing (2nd Company that deploys on bikes, attack bikes and Land Speeders) as they are both signature units of the Dark Angels, fluffy in working together and actually fairly competitive (taking into account the FAQ update). Now regarding the battle companies i.e. normal powered armour marines they are not so competitive due to the age of the Codex. Many people avoid them altogether sticking to DW & RW armies, but is it fluffy? Funnily enough it is. Kind of.

Anyway regarding your Circles within Circles theme and whether you should do a Successor, the current Codex heavily implies (outright mentions actually) that all the DA Successors are ultimately led by the Supreme Grand Master of the DAs. Furthermore the codex also implies that the Inner Circle stretches accross all Unforgiven. That means that DAs and Successors can be viewed as an unbroken Legion with a single command structure in pursuit of their secret agenda. This inspired me to create a combined force of Successors operating together (one will provide the DW elements another the RW and another the Ironwing - the tanks). My main body of power armoured marines is the Disciples of Caliban 5th Company that also provide the Termies while the Consecrators will provide the RW (eventually). Right now I'm planning the Guardians of the Convenant to be my Ironwing.

If you really like green of course (who doesn't) stick to DAs!

Welcome to the Rock!!!

Anyway regarding your Circles within Circles theme and whether you should do a Successor, the current Codex heavily implies (outright mentions actually) that all the DA Successors are ultimately led by the Supreme Grand Master of the DAs. Furthermore the codex also implies that the Inner Circle stretches accross all Unforgiven. That means that DAs and Successors can be viewed as an unbroken Legion with a single command structure in pursuit of their secret agenda.

This! There are two loyalist, un-brokedown Legions, DA and SW. (Space Wolves just send a company off to the other side of the Galaxy and formulate a new company in its place.)

This inspired me to create a combined force of Successors operating together (one will provide the DW elements another the RW and another the Ironwing - the tanks). My main body of power armoured marines is the Disciples of Caliban 5th Company that also provide the Termies while the Consecrators will provide the RW (eventually). Right now I'm planning the Guardians of the Convenant to be my Ironwing.

See, Now that is a good idea! I just have a (Training Rotation) squad of GotC vets tagging along with my 5th co. And a squad of Consecrators Devis planned because I just cant throw out my old shoulder mount Heavies....

A "prototypical" DA force would incorporate all three wings, Ravenwing, Deathwing and the Ironwing. Ironwing is just a cool name for everyone else in the chapter, but they usually run a transport or tank with every squad. The "iron" being the Tank armor... (This partway explains our cheap Rhinos.)

I say "prototypical" because we are known as the "Tactical Genius" chapter and this force would be able to handle about anything thrown at it..

First of all thanks guys for the hello!

Back in the day, the SW were the "noble savage", the Ultras were the "Codex Examplers", Sallies were the humane ones, BA were the artistic ones (if you ask me its a Faustian tradition, not necessarily vampires, i tried to get a thread going but it never took off) the IF were the ruthless punishers and of course the DA were the secret society redemptionists and master tacticians - glad to know its still the same lol.

I like the idea of cheap rhinos, ive had a lot of fun running my BA plasbacks and come to really apperciate teh versatility of a rhino.And the idea of the DA still being LEgion is compelling.

I think that a 5th Co DA force from the Vraaks campaign is just what im looking for - ill start digging through the old material and come up with a list that is fluffy and hopefully you guys can help me flesh it out :mellow:

thanks guys.

p.s; i actually started collecting BA because "ANgels of Death" was released and my mate bought about 12 DW termies, so i went the other ones.Cause red ones go faster.He said Green ones go smarter.

I can speak to the competitive list aspects of DA. Right now because of the FAQ that happened late last year terminators are by far the best choice for using as troops. They are best backed up by typhoon speeders from the RW and AC/LC preds from the normal companies. If you want to cut down on the DW squads(typically there is 3-6 depending on points limits) you can sub one or two out for an upgraded tac squad with a rhino. It won't be as effective but it will be more fluffy.

I can probably come up with a decent list for you if you give me a point limit you'd want to play at.

Welcome to the Unforgiven.

For starters, two tactical squads with some Deathwing or Ravenwing support is a good place to start. I've run 3 Deathwing squads with Belial and a couple tactical squads in rhinos before with great success. Most people tend to target the terminators first, deeming them to be a higher threat, then a tactical squad rolls up and rapid fires them into oblivion.

The idea of several chapters teaming up is a great idea, I wish I had though of it before. Oh well, I can always buy some more troops to fill in later on.

Welcome to the rock and to the fifth(i am a new addition to the last one myself :cuss)

Our dex can hardly be called broken,in fact i think its quite the opposite.Its a bit unforgiving(goes hand to hand with our nick i guess)compared to other marine dexes where you can start more easily.

Archived