lucius pattern drop pod help

shadowslayer

Hello, I am sneaky eldar player and I registered here to learn how the enemy thinks, to see your point of view.

So far I had no problems with space marine players, but a friend of mine,(he plays space wolves) announced usage of lucius pattern drop pods. 2 dreadnoughts assaulting on first turn is somewhat hard to counter, does anyone has any tactics against it except putting everything in reserves? Or guardian bubblewrap, but that's not so reliable. And what to do if dow deployment is rolled?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. sorry for bad english.

Hello, I am sneaky eldar player and I registered here to learn how the enemy thinks, to see your point of view.

So far I had no problems with space marine players, but a friend of mine,(he plays space wolves) announced usage of lucius pattern drop pods. 2 dreadnoughts assaulting on first turn is somewhat hard to counter, does anyone has any tactics against it except putting everything in reserves? Or guardian bubblewrap, but that's not so reliable. And what to do if dow deployment is rolled?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. sorry for bad english.

Take Nightwing fighters XD Whats that... Your dreadnoughts can't assault flyers? Too bad, too slow! Unfortunately the lucius pattern drop pod is one of the few things from FW that is pretty much broken all the time... except maybe in apocalypse... For what it does it needs to be a lot more points.

How many other drop pods does he take in his army? If those are the only two then you know one is coming in on the first turn... If you play mech eldar just move everything fast... not so scary in CC when they need a 6 to hit... Survive until your next turn and then slag it. If you have a list that kind of list that can hide in reserve (if it has an autarch or two) you could try and wait until both of them have come down.

Unfortunately unless he has a very poor space wolf army and you have one of the better Eldar builds then this will always be broken. My advice would be not to play against it if it stops games from being fun. However if you enjoy the challenge is presents go for it.

Oh the other thing you could do... Depending on terrain is try and set up your force so that if he pods down near you he will have to land in terrain and hope that he damages himself or rolls double 1 for his charge <_<

dswanick, I don't care for Furioso dreads since everything in my list that is not mechanised can rip through dreads with no problem(guardians have warlocks), it is my transports that I am worried about.

hellios,

well, I think he has 3 drop pods, so 2 are coming first turn, damocles rhino is ensuring coming of third and 2 land speeder squads with melta/flamers pretty soon after that.

The rest of his army includes landraider with bloodclaws, some razorbacks with gray hunters and some long fangs. Tough, huh?

I have a regular hammer and anvil army, hammer consisting of banshees, dragons and avengers in serpents, followed by small jet council (4 warlocks) with jet bike autarch and on anvil I have 2 prisms, warwalkers, scorpions and 2 guardian squads. And a single vyper to try to cockblock his landraider! <_<

The dice god usually favours me, but relying on terrain to damage him is a bit to much to ask.

Guess I should try to reserve everything and than deploy denied flank. And pray that we don't roll dow.

Refusing to play sounds rude,(we play friendly games and almost all units are proxies) and since IA 11 contains new sexy eldar vehicles, I wouldn't like him to forbid me using them.

Do you run Fire Dragons? Lots of Witchblades?

The trick for you will be scattering those units around your deployment area as a deterrent. If you're fully mechanized, he'll be trading a Dreadnought for a skimmer tank, if he's lucky and kills said tank outright.

Against drop-pod tactics, it's often a good idea to castle up, filling an entire section of your deployment zone with your transports, ensuring he's not getting a pod in your backfield. He'll have to drop in front of all your guns, and run the risks if he doesn't kill with his initial charge.

Lets keep this thread a more generic way to fight against Lucius Drop Pods rather than Eldar specific advice (which is against B+C rules).

Depending on the number of drop pods in the enemy army, consider reserving everything. Or deploy in cover so he has to fight at initiative 1 assuming he makes the charge and he may miss the charge due to difficult terrain.

Shadowslayer, also make sure your opponent has the fully updated Lucius Pattern Drop Pod rules out of the new Imperial Armour Apocalypse second edition book. I don't have it, but it seems the Lucius has had its point cost greatly increased. Dreads wanting to assault out of it first turn have to take a dangerous terrain test now as well. It's not much, but anything's a help...

Dreads wanting to assault out of it first turn have to take a dangerous terrain test now as well. It's not much, but anything's a help...

Can you cite your source for this? I have Forge Worlds IA2 Update v1.3, the most recent on their website, and it makes no mention of this rule.

Dreads wanting to assault out of it first turn have to take a dangerous terrain test now as well. It's not much, but anything's a help...

Can you cite your source for this? I have Forge Worlds IA2 Update v1.3, the most recent on their website, and it makes no mention of this rule.

He isn't talking about IAA2... He is talking about IAA1 2nd edition that they have just published with updated datasheets and new datasheets.

Archived