Scouts Question?

Epistolary Theodoric

It depends entirely on what you do with them.

Assuming you mean a sniper scout squad who are going to just camp on an objective then I would say it is worth it.

Even better if you run a HQ that has bolster defences, giving your scouts a 2+ cover save!

However they are certainly not throwaway without them, 4+ cover will make them pretty durable.

However if you want to do literally anything else with your scouts then I would say leave them at home.

In my experience with my scouts there are only two ways to run them. Snipers with cloaks used to hold an objective on your side of the board or as squad with CCW's or Bolters to outflank and take or contest an enemy objective. I have had sniper scouts with cloaks go to ground and hold a home objective for an entire game. They can shrug off almost anything outside of a flamer template with their 2+ cover save. I like them as cheap as possible for this purpose, only giving them the cloaks for the improved save. In most cases, snipers rarely kill much. As a troop choice with Move through cover and outflank or scout you can a lot of advantages. Just don't depend on them for combat, that is not their main mission.

I have had some luck with outflanking a squad of CCW scouts into squads of camping guardsmen, but would not depend on it for much else. In large list I usually try to fit in a full CCW squad and a 5 to 7 man sniper team with cloaks.

If you haven't yet, check out GreatCrusade08's scout writings - they're a great read if you're considering running scouts of any type.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...p;hl=metagaming

As others have said, it depends on what you're planning on doing with your scouts. A lot will depend on the rest of your armylist and your playstyle as well.

Personally I don't rely on camo cloaks a lot, as I like my scouts cheap and disposable. But - when you have them and then go to ground (2+ save) they're fantastic values. If you want them consider using Telion. In addition to being a great character, he confers stealth on the entire squad. He opens up a lot of possible uses for a scout squad as well - my 5-man team with Telion and ML have killed a lot of tanks by infiltrating and getting shots into rear armor (at BS6!).

If you're running Land Speeder Storm + scouts (which is horribly, horribly fun), then you don't need cloaks as they're probably not going to be in cover. And probably going to die a quick, glorious death.

Give us some more details about your list and planned scout build!

Archived