Custom Obliterators

culix

So I'm building some custom Obliterators, using Chaos Terminators as the base with some extra parts tacked on.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, but I feel like they should be even bulkier and more massive. Instead of (only?) attaching Chaos Terminator trophy spikes I'm gathered more bits and will try layering them with even more tech and weaponry. Not sure how this will turn out - it might look cool, or it might be too busy or ruin their shape :-/

I'm also not sure about Obliterator Delta. His tyranid arm looks weird. I have some ideas for changing him up, and I'll post once they're done.

Anyway, C&C are definitely welcome!

Obliterator Alpha:

gallery_61979_6586_119898.jpg

This guy has an autocannon and a Daemon Prince arm. He still needs some greenstuff work before the arm is done.

Obliterator Beta:

gallery_61979_6586_52040.jpg

gallery_61979_6586_21277.jpg

This guy has spikes going through his shoulderpad, a Tyranid Gargoyle tail, and a Tyranid arm cannon. I really like how mounting the tyranid gun underneath a Terminator arm worked out. I want to make a giant eyeball out of greenstuff and put it in the center of this guy's helmet socket :rolleyes:

Obliterator Gamma:

gallery_61979_6586_78438.jpg

gallery_61979_6586_68212.jpg

gallery_61979_6586_82142.jpg

This guy has a gun made from five separate guns! The center piece is a tank lascannon, with numerous eldar lasers and beams latched onto the side. His head is from the Possessed Chaos Space Marine sprue. I really like how this one turned out.

Obliterator Delta:

gallery_61979_6586_180472.jpg

gallery_61979_6586_14072.jpg

gallery_61979_6586_273964.jpg

This guy I found hard to capture on camera. He has one tyranid sything arm, and a lascannon for the other arm with two Stormraven bolters on top. I'm really not sure of this guy - the tyranid arm looks strange to me. I may try attaching that arm at a different angle, adding a shoulderpad, or adding a Posessed arm to counterbalace it. I feel like he doesn't have the right bulky shape to be an Obliterator and needs some work.

Obliterator Epsilon:

gallery_61979_6586_158518.jpg

gallery_61979_6586_111900.jpg

gallery_61979_6586_57171.jpg

So far this guy just has a simple Posessed bit on his back. His other arm is setting up with Tamiya Cement right now. Sneak preview of what he'll look like:

gallery_61979_6586_110283.jpg

gallery_61979_6586_66671.jpg

Suprise! More big guns :D

Personally I think the Tyranid bio-weapons and crazy clustered weapons work, but the giant close combat weapons have a comical appearance to them. Gamma is my favorite. On Epsilon I would cut off the ammo belts and replace them with something to make the belt flow into the body.

I have to say I like Epsilon best. That's just brilliant. Big guns never grow boring.

On Delta... like you say, the arm is funny. It looks odd enough on Tyranids themselves. Instead if that, why not have several smaller arms in a cluster instead of just one big one? For example, Genestealers have loads of spare arms and the can be bought cheaply for converting.

Alpha's shoulder pad looks a little big. :P

They are very nice and I like the used of NiD parts but why are you modelling Heavy bolters?

Assault cannons, Autocannons and bolters are not fieldable by oblits?

If you look at the actual oblit models they have weapons on them that they can't use as well. I've used heavy bolters on my own custom oblits as well & missile launchers, mostly it's just for looks. Oblits have lots of weapons they can use & you have to state which you're using beforehand anyway so I doubt anyone will be confused by that. And oblits don't have to be WYSIWYG as they never really were to begin w/. If someone wants to model all the weapons they can take & only those, by all means, have fun & I salute you, but I don't think anyone cares.

I'm of two minds about the nid parts on them personally, as well as the daemon prince arm. Maybe if the arm were cut down a bit & the hand looks oversized like an organic power fist it could work. The scything talon guy is... odd, again, maybe trim it down & then give him a second arm on that side it could work, or blend the talon coming off a regular termie arm.

Archived