A little Command Squad help please

Gothical

I am having a little trouble outfitting my Command Squad for my Salamanders army. It requires a little context, which I shall provide here (though obviously bear in mind there is the rest of a 1500/2000 point army backing this up), but I am somewhat unsure on the exact equipment I should give the unit.

My fixed units. The equipment is unlikely to change, particularly for the Captain - I know he is not ideal, but is in there for modelling purposes (even if I say so myself, a totally awesome Helbrecht conversion).

1) Captain: Combi-Melta, Thunder Hammer, Artificer Armour, Iron Halo.

2) Tactical Squad 1 - Sergeant: Combi-Flamer & Chainsword. 9 Marines: 7 Bolters, 1 Flamer, 1 Multi-Melta. Rhino.

3) Tactical Squad 2 - Sergeant: Combi-Flamer & Chainsword. 9 Marines: 7 Bolters, 1 Flamer, 1 Multi-Melta. Rhino.

I wish to add in a Command Squad in a Razorback to act as a retinue for my Captain, and to support the Tactical Squads - these 3 units then form my main "hammer", driving the enemy off the objective and taking it for themselves (usually through rapid-fire and flamer-bathing). As you can see, the Tactical Marines are in dire need of some Close-Combat support, which is where the Command Squad comes into play.

A] My initial idea was:

Command Squad - Apothecary: Bolter. Standard Bearer: Bolter. 3 Veterans: 2 Meltaguns, 1 Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield. Razorback: Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter. 235.

The theory was that I have an additional buried Power Fist (the Storm Shield is largely due to modelling reasons rather than game-play but could be useful), a smattering of Boltguns for the turns that I cannot charge (and to add to the Captain/Tactical firepower), a pair of Meltaguns (again to help out the Captain in the shooting phase), as well as a small pile of regular attacks. Whilst this is not a dedicated Close-Combat unit it does pack a fair punch, and thanks to the Meltaguns it covers a weakness in the firepower of the Tacticals - that of mobile anti-Monster/Tank/Heavy Infantry.

B] However, I have been considering fiddling with the layout. If I keep the Meltaguns, move the Thunder Hammer to the Company Standard-toting Veteran, and drop the points spent on the Storm Shield then I have the room (points and a model) to upgrade one fellow to be a Company Champion. This gives me few accurate Power Weapon attacks that might help the unit out against somewhat lighter foes, whilst keeping the heavy-unit beatdown.

C] Yet I am still wondering if I need more Combat power still - I am considering trading the Meltaguns and Storm Shield for a pair of Power Weapons - I would only have the BS5 Melta shot from the Captain for respectable firepower, but it does increase the amount of combat damage the unit puts out, particularly charging through cover (where thinning MEQs a little will make it more certain that the Thunder Hammers can strike).

Basically, I know I want to keep: Apothecary, Company Standard and Razorback. This means that I currently have 65 points to play around with in terms of equipment - what do you think is the best option (and please suggest other ideas - no doubt there are many more options I could consider). I *may* be able to free up other points, so this is not a hard limit. Thematically, largely anything goes - I'm just staying away from Flamers with this unit as shredding Light Infantry is something this detachment needs no help doing!

In short, how should I equip a Command Squad to support some aggressive Dual-Flamer Tactical Squads?

so: champ, fist (with banner), shield, meltax2 = 75

another choice is simply 4xPG (or champ+3xPG) for 60

i'd seriously look at vulkan, though, you'll find the improvement in your other units more than worth it.

can you re-convert your captain into a sergeant?

without a captain, the command squad is moot, but you can equip vanguard (no packs) similarly.

so: champ, fist (with banner), shield, meltax2 = 75

another choice is simply 4xPG (or champ+3xPG) for 60

I'm looking for a more close-combat oriented unit, so I've not opted for the 4x Plasma set-up. It's a great unit, but it just doesn't quite do what I am after.

At the moment I have: Apothecary, Banner Bearer, 2x guys with Meltaguns, 1x guy with Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield for 80 points.

I am considering switching that to: Apothecary, Banner Bearer with Thunder Hammer, 2x guys with Meltaguns, Company Champion for 80 points.

Both these options give me some firepower and a nice Assault edge, and pair up well with the anti-infantry Tactical Squads - I just can't quite settle between them.

Yet there are other changes I am wondering about:

Could a unit with just a Banner, Hammer and a bunch of Bolt Pistol + CCW guys work, or does the flexibility and pre-charge firepower that the (current) 2 Meltaguns provide outweigh a couple of extra Str4 attacks? It would be a lot cheaper, albeit a lot less useful.

(So: Apothecary, Banner Bearer, 2x guys with Bolt Pistols/CCWs, 1x guy with Thunder Hammer for 45 points)

I also have a vague idea about equipping a few of the fellows with Storm Shields, to make a more durable unit - though how to apply that is something I am struggling with, particularly as it would ramp up the costs and lose pre-assault firepower. The Forge World "Boarding Marines" look awesome, and I think they are an excellent concept, so I am wondering what I could do with Storm Shields.

An initial idea is: Apothecary, Banner Bearer with Hammer, 2x guys with Storm Shields and Bolt Pistols/CCWs, and a Company Champion for 90 (or I could cut the Champion to be a smidgen cheaper than my current set-up).

i'd seriously look at vulkan, though, you'll find the improvement in your other units more than worth it.

can you re-convert your captain into a sergeant?

without a captain, the command squad is moot, but you can equip vanguard (no packs) similarly.

I'm not such a fan of Vulkan - it might be because I like to customise my characters, or it might be because I have found Combat Tactics to be invaluable. I don't have an exceptional abundance of weapons to upgrade, as I don't have any Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Terminators, few Land Speeders/Bikes and slightly more varied weaponry than the typical Salamanders force. He would still be a bonus to the weapons I do have of course, he just doesn't appeal to me.

Hmm, if you're looking for a close combat unit then that's where your main concern should lie. TH/SS and a Banner are a good start but the Meltas make it feel like you're hedging your bets. Stick with special close combat equipment and leave them in their Razorback until you're ready to launch your assault. A Company Champion and perhaps a single SS guy makes the unit a bit more durable and provides the additional hitting power you'll need against models with a decent armor save. That would only run you 60 points and give you an ablative 3++ model and a normal ablative wound as well.

I agree with Destaro, if you're looking into a combat unit I'd consider leaving the melta at home. How many points are you thinking of?

With the banner it's less combat orientated and more support orientated. The only thing is does for combat for the unit is award an extra point of combat res each turn. It also allows re-rolls on morale and pinning tests to units within 12" though, which is helpful for combat, but that's be something I'd put it in last.

The Apothecary should have BP/CCW if you're going for combat, every attack helps. You also want a TH guy, whether you give him a SS is up to you, it'll look very cool though.

As for the other couple of guys, I'd certainly consider the Company Champion. Fluffy, and for the same points as a power sword you also get a combat shield and an extra point of WS, bargain! If we assume you have a banner then for the last guy I'd consider either a LC or a SS, or both if you have the points. Or put one of them on the banner guy. If you don't have the banner guy then things are easier, one guy with the LC and one guy with the SS.

If you really want some melta in there you could put it on the last guy, I wouldn't worry too much about that though, ideally you should have some dedicated melta units to bust the tank open, and then next turn have these guys charge.

I have run numerous different command squads recently and the one i liked the most that is closest to yours had an apothecary, champion, th and ss, flamer (although that could e a melta no problem), and one stock guy who i'd give a ss if you have the points. Personally I'm not a big fan of the standard but If you wanted you could certainly add him instead of the special weapon. The reason I didn't stick with this is because I've found that it's best to have one guy you can throw away, preferably with a 3++.

While I don't think you need two meltas and think your second choice is a bit better I think either one would give you a fun, cool looking, and competitive unit!

Archived