Psychic shooting & Side-sponsons

Jonah

Hi,

I've gone through the rule book and FAQs but couldn't fine definitive answers to these:

1. Can a Librarian cast Psychic Shooting attacks (Null Zone) if he is locked in assault?

2. Do Side-sponson weapons on vehicles count as 1 or 2 weapons? i.e, if the vehicle takes a Weapon Destroyed result do you only remove 1? And if it moves at Combat Speed can it only fire 1?

Cheers for the help!

Off the top of my head -

1. Psychic Shooting attacks are treated as shooting attacks, per the BRB. The BRB also specifies that a model locked in CC can not shoot. So, no.

2. Sponson weapons are two weapons (that's how you can shoot both of them at a target directly in front of you, otherwise you would only get one shot from both sponsons at a target directly in front of your model), therefore you lose one per Weapon Destroyed result, and may only fire one of them at Combat Speed.

Clarification: Null Zone is a power used at the beginning of the Librarian's Shooting Phase. it is not actually a Psychic Shooting Attack. Per the BRB FAQ:

"Q: What psychic powers count as psychic shooting

attacks? (p50)

A: Any psychic power with a profile like that of a

ranged weapon (i.e. has a range, strength and AP

value) and any psychic power that specifically states

that it is a psychic shooting attack."

So, you can actually use Null Zone when locked in melee.

2. Sponson weapons are two weapons (that's how you can shoot both of them at a target directly in front of you, otherwise you would only get one shot from both sponsons at a target directly in front of your model), therefore you lose one per Weapon Destroyed result, and may only fire one of them at Combat Speed.

Depending on what weapon is IN the sponson, of course.

Yes, with a Predator tank, it's one sponson only as the options listed are generally of a higher S than 4 (defensive).

Hurricane bolters are often mounted in sponsons, for example. These are defensive weapons (UNLESS given the GK psybolt upgrade) and at combat speed, a vehicle with them can fire both, in addition to at least one other weapon.

Two sponsons are two weapon systems. Two weapon destroyed results.

I would like to note, that it must be listed in the units entry that it is a sponson weapon. Some units like a Typhoon Landspeeder may look like it has sponson weapons when in fact it is a single weapon system. This has the disadvantage of removing the whole thing in a weapon destroyed result but allows you to park virtually the entire landspeeder behind cover with one of the ML's sticking out. Since LoS is drawn from the weapon, you can still fire(giving no cover) and be in cover at the same time.

Archived