Sternguard Weaponry (Updated w/ Pic)

bmcsw007

any other suggestions...? I don't want to cut up my 1 melta gun I have, I want to keep it for my tactical squad.

Hey buddy. I've got extra meltaguns I can hook you up with tonight. You'll definately want to make at least 1 combimelta for your sternguard and the plastic ones are easier to work with than the metal ones as far as conversions go.

Also... really like how that heavy flamer is turning out. I agree, if you are going with a small squad the heavy flamer is pretty good.

-Myst

So far, in the army list (not modeled - waiting on arrival) I've kitted out my 10-strong Sternguard into Plasma wielding beasties; the only ones in the army.

I have tactical/scout/devastator squads kitted out for anti infantry (Heavy Bolters) and a Devastator squad set for anti-tank, so I saw it fitting that the sternguard be set with the best mixture, the plasma weapons.

1x Plasma Cannon, 1x Plasma Gun, 2x Combi, 6x Bolter.

This way, I have a heavy weapon in there, a Rapid fire weapon (that can be used multiple times) to keep up with the rest of the bolter fire, and 2 Combis to allow for bolter rounds special ammunition to be used as well as the Str7 plasma weapon if and when required.

As you might expect, I am intending to split the 10 man up into a squad of Fire support (plasma squad) and a squad of multi-choice when it comes to round type depending on who I'm facing. Plus the addition of the only plasma weapons in my army makes for some good small blast weapons that I'm missing out on otherwise.

Arguably, most people dont have a 10 man squad and if you're sticking with 5 I would suggest sticking with 3 straight bolters and 2 combis or 5 combis depending on your points allowance (because, lets face it, +5 for any type of combi is CHEAP) I just wish they allowed for underslung grenade launchers in that.

I have sternguard as well and they have served me well. Though none of them actually have combi weapons i have noticeable bits on half of them so the 10 man squad can be half and half or combat squaded when they come in. Example: i was playing against IG and i dropped the squad down ,all with combi-flamers, combat squaded them and roasted almost 2 whole squads of infantry. They died soon after, but that was the only real damage i did to him, he had 3 vendettas packed with infantry, a few tanks (don't remember which), and a couple of psykers, plus the roasted squads.Against a tau player, his kroot on an objective, had to move back a few times to stay away from dragonfire rounds and his army didn't shoot them much until turn 5 to save his kroot. That is my experience with them hope this helps.

In a 2000 point game this evening, I ran my lovingly painted Mk.III-armored Sternguard for the first time, and was not disappointed. It was nine strong, with a power fist and combiflamer on the sergeant, with four each combimeltas and combiplasmas, led by Lysander in a Land Raider Redeemer. They were the MVPs of the game:

Turn One: Four melta shots burned a Falcon out of the sky, also killing three of the six Fire Dragons inside. (The rest were cleaned up by the Redeemer's assault cannons)

Turn Four: Without Lysander's help, they charged and annihilated a fifteen-man squad of Guardians with a Warlock.

Turn Five: Having lost only a single Marine, they used Hellfire rounds to kill eight out of ten cover-hugging Dire Avengers. (The last two died to a charging Librarian under The Quickening)

Turn Six: Four plasma shots burned a Wave Serpent out of the sky and killed half of its contents, allowing the Libby and Lysander to charge the contents (Yriel and Harlequins) that had set up on the objective I had taken with a nearby Tactical Squad. He rolled like a champ on invulnerable saves, so they survived to contest and I lost, but that's not their fault.

So in one game, nine Sternguard accounted for two grav-tanks, two units of Troops, and about half of my opponent's Elite choices. It was an awesome start for them, and I will definitely be using them again in the future.

Archived