Hands of Dorn- An Imperial Fists Successor WIP

Midge913

So I am totally a glutton for punishment..... Those of you around the forums who know me, know that I have a problem with finishing projects. I get bored, distracted, and worst of all I get the painting blahs. Periods of time where I just don't want to sit in front of a model that I have already been looking at for weeks, or anything that looks similar to that model. In times like that I do dumb things to regain my motivation..... like start new projects. For quite some time I have had several pieces sitting around that I was going to use to make a Crimson Fists army as I have always been a fan of their fluff, but after my failed attempt at making a pure BA army (I got bored painting it after one test model) I decided that I wasn't going to make the same twice. So I sat down with my creative writing cap on and took a jaunt over to Bolter and Chainsword to use their SM painter program and I came up with a color scheme that I think will be really exciting for me to paint and some fluff that I really enjoy. So here they are, the Hands of Dorn.

Chapter name: Hands of Dorn

Founding: 26th Founding, M738

Progenitor: Imperial Fists

Chapter Motto and Demeanor: "Never give in, Never surrender"-- Like many of the sons of Rogal Dorn stubborness is an integral part of their genetics. Battle-Brothers of the Hands of Dorn do not yield ground, do not give up, and do not retreat in the face of the enemy. Unfortunately this causes them to loose more brothers on the fields of battle. However instead of causing the Brothers of the chapter to adopt different strategies, the fight all the fiercer, bringing their righteous fury to bear on their enemies to avenge the loss of their brethren.

Gene-seed variances: The stubborness that the brothers of the Hands of Dorn display is a flaw in their geneseed akin to the level of the battle-brothers of the Blood Angels chapter. It is inherent in them and it is a drive that they cannont deny. All marines of the chapter will fight to the death to hold the enemy at bay, and their tenacity borders on near insanity. However as if to assist them in their endeavors, Space Marines of this chapter tend to grow several inches to a foot taller than members of other chapters and are greater in breadth and strength than is normal for the typical marine. To compensate their circulator system is able to ramp up in the moments before battle to give their enhanced bodies the strength to fuel their enlarged frames. It has been postulated that this genetic diversion has actually caused shorter lifespans than other chapter marines, but this has yet to be proved by any scientific evidence.

System governance: The Hands of Dorn rule over a system of 7 planets, the Anerion system, each of which are recruitment worlds. The planet closest to Anerion's sun is the systems forgeworld. The next two worlds are death worlds, largely covered in dense jungles and tepid seas, and popluated by feudal tribes of humans. The Hands home world of Valneron is next. It is a fertile agriworld that is directly governed by the Hands themselves. Rich in every sense possible from resources to genetically pure populations, 50% of the chapter is recruited directly from Valneron. The next two worlds in the system, Arjack and Nemarack are also verdant agri-worlds, lightly populated in comparison to Valneron, but responsible for 70% of the systems resources and trade goods. The last planet of the system is a harsh Ice World. None the less some of the most able and fierce warriors of the chapter come from Beloch.

Chapter appearance: Clad in power armor quarted in vibrant yellow and deep blue, the squads and companies of the Hands follow similar marking patterns to their parent chapter the Imperial Fists.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/IFCFSuccessors.jpg

Chapter Doctrine: Do to their high recruitment rates and larger casualty numbers the chapters scout company actually numbers close to 150 scouts, that are more rigorously trained than in other chapters. It has been in the annuals of the chapters history that in times of war the chapter will actually employ crusader squads, similar to that of their brothers in the Black Templars, though this has not happened in several millenia.

Based on their seige warfare and static gunline form of combat doctrine, the Hands of Dorn rarely employ jump pack troops as the bring little to the power of a gunline. For fast attack and rapid insertion of forces the Hands rely on Landspeeders and bikes as their primary form of vangaurd teams. The Veteran companies consist of 40 terminators, 10 Assault terminators, 40 Sternguard Veterans, and 10 Vanguard veterans. It is obvious by the composition and make up of their armory that the Hands prefer long distance ranged warfare and to assist in this endeavor their 9th company consists of 12 Devastator squads instead of the codex approved 10.

Barring these differences the Hands are a staunch supporter of the Codex Astartes and its tenets.

So that is as far as I have gotten with the fluff, but I am pretty happy with it over all. I am looking for an army that plays completely differently than the BA successors I already have and I think that I have captured that in the fluff. Anyway since no project log should be started without photos, here is a very rough start to my test model for the Hands of dorn, 4th company, 1st squad.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn001.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn002.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome, but keep in mind that this guy still needs a ton of work. I look forward to your thoughts and comments on the scheme, fluff, and paint.

Nice successors, but is it really nescessary to make their stubborn-ness a gene-seed based flaw? I think it makes for a more compelling story of it's some part of the Chapters' mentality that is passed on through tradition and conduct, perhaps linking it to an aspiration to prove themselves to truly be the Emperors finest, or as a form of atonement for some inadequacy in their otherwise exemplary history? What I'm getting at is that this particular flaw doesn't need to be encoded in their gene-seed, but is rather a product of the Chapters' mentality.

Model is too WIP to properly show how these will look, but the quartering in itself should look sweet.

Nice successors, but is it really nescessary to make their stubborn-ness a gene-seed based flaw? I think it makes for a more compelling story of it's some part of the Chapters' mentality that is passed on through tradition and conduct, perhaps linking it to an aspiration to prove themselves to truly be the Emperors finest, or as a form of atonement for some inadequacy in their otherwise exemplary history? What I'm getting at is that this particular flaw doesn't need to be encoded in their gene-seed, but is rather a product of the Chapters' mentality.

Model is too WIP to properly show how these will look, but the quartering in itself should look sweet.

Quite frankly the idea of a gene seed flaw is just something that was stuck in my head after being immersed into the Codex BA for as long as I have been. However, I do like your idea that it is a mentality based on tradition a bit more than what I have going on already. I will go back to the drawing board on that bit, and see what I can come up with. Thanks for looking in and commenting.

I got quite a bit of work done on my test marine tonight. I am not sure why but the blue highlights look streaky in the photos, but on the model they do not. I am really happy with how vibrant the scheme is turning out to be, I think It will go well with my Angels of Mourning in big Apoc Games.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn003.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn004.jpg

Comments as always are most welcome.

I got more work done on my test marine tonight. For the pose I am going for a Marine whose bolter has run dry and he has been forced to draw his BP to continue on in the fight. Green shoulder pad trim to represent 4th company, and the opposite shoulder will have the tactical arrow and squad number. Anyway here are the pictures:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn005.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn006.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn007.jpg

Comments and critiques are most welcome.

Loving that scheme.

I am currently painting up a fists successor that is a half and half scheme and wondered if you could offer some advice on how you got such a clean and crisp line of separation at the point of colours joining.

I have only managed to do my scouts and the jump packs of my Assault squad so far but have struggled with getting a clean and crisp line.

Thanks in advance.

lol. awesome, looks like somebody chopped up some crimson and imperial fist and chucked em in a ver skilled blender, great work

Thanks man! That is what I was going for:)

Loving that scheme.

I am currently painting up a fists successor that is a half and half scheme and wondered if you could offer some advice on how you got such a clean and crisp line of separation at the point of colours joining.

I have only managed to do my scouts and the jump packs of my Assault squad so far but have struggled with getting a clean and crisp line.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the compliments. As to your question: I am afraid that there really isn't a technique that I can pass on to you that will help you out other than patience. Take your time to get the line as straight as you can, making small corrections where necessary with the opposing color. It just takes a steady hand and a willingness to go slowly. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

I love that quartered scheme, and you're executing it beautifully.

Chapter name: Hands of Dorn

Inspired by the only bit that's left of him, perhaps?

Founding: 26th Founding, M738

You know, if they were 21st Founding, their weird genetic quirks make complete sense. The Cursed Founding saw all kinds of crazy experimentation, and them trying to make a super-strong, super-stubborn chapter wouldn't be weird at all.

Gene-seed variances: The stubborness that the brothers of the Hands of Dorn display is a flaw in their geneseed akin to the level of the battle-brothers of the Blood Angels chapter. It is inherent in them and it is a drive that they cannont deny. All marines of the chapter will fight to the death to hold the enemy at bay, and their tenacity borders on near insanity. However as if to assist them in their endeavors, Space Marines of this chapter tend to grow several inches to a foot taller than members of other chapters and are greater in breadth and strength than is normal for the typical marine. To compensate their circulator system is able to ramp up in the moments before battle to give their enhanced bodies the strength to fuel their enlarged frames. It has been postulated that this genetic diversion has actually caused shorter lifespans than other chapter marines, but this has yet to be proved by any scientific evidence.

This feels like a bit much. Dorn's geneseed is pretty stable, after all. It also feels like unambiguous improvement, frankly, and that's usually not a good idea in DIY fluff.

If you made them Cursed Founding, the downsides that come with that (unluckiness, genetic instability) would make it seem less like you're just trying to make your marines tougher and stronger than everyone else for its own sake. :)

System governance: The Hands of Dorn rule over a system of 7 planets, the Anerion system, each of which are recruitment worlds. The planet closest to Anerion's sun is the systems forgeworld. The next two worlds are death worlds, largely covered in dense jungles and tepid seas, and popluated by feudal tribes of humans. The Hands home world of Valneron is next. It is a fertile agriworld that is directly governed by the Hands themselves. Rich in every sense possible from resources to genetically pure populations, 50% of the chapter is recruited directly from Valneron. The next two worlds in the system, Arjack and Nemarack are also verdant agri-worlds, lightly populated in comparison to Valneron, but responsible for 70% of the systems resources and trade goods. The last planet of the system is a harsh Ice World. None the less some of the most able and fierce warriors of the chapter come from Beloch.

Forge Worlds belong to the Adeptus Mechanicus. It might be an Industrial world, but it's not a Forge World.

What makes the inhabitants of the agri-world tough enough to be Space Marines? Also, agri-worlds basically produce food. As in something like 80% of the surface is used for that. I'm not sure many other resources would be produced.

Are all the worlds formally under the jurisdiction of the chapter, or do they just recruit from there and get consulted about things a lot? I mean, this sounds like a pretty nice system to just hand over to a Space Marine chapter.

Chapter Doctrine: Do to their high recruitment rates and larger casualty numbers the chapters scout company actually numbers close to 150 scouts, that are more rigorously trained than in other chapters. It has been in the annuals of the chapters history that in times of war the chapter will actually employ crusader squads, similar to that of their brothers in the Black Templars, though this has not happened in several millenia.

The whole "more rigorously trained" thing feels like more "we're better"ness. And why would they be able to train scouts harder, especially if they've got higher turnover?

I am pleased to report that he is complete!

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn008.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn009.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn010.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/Midge913/HandsofDorn011.jpg

Comments and critiques are most welcome. I am not sure when I will get to it in the painting schedule as I have some commissions and some dwarfs for the painting challenge to work on, but up next the block for this army is a standard multi-melta and DCCW Dreadnaught with some FW embelishments.

Amazing work.

Regarding Octavulgs' suggestions, while I think most are very well-founded and makes a lot of sense, making them a 21st. (Cursed) Founding, is just as much a cop-out on a chance to make them interesting on a psychological level, rather than "Gene-seed did it", which to me greatly detracts from the possibilities of interesting dynamics, both within the Chapter, but also in their dealings with the rest of the Imperium.

It's like how the Marines Malevolent are, in some ways, more interesting than the Flesh Tearers; one has a skewed image of the humanity they're supposed to be protecting, essentially viewing them as inferior to the Post-human Astartes, which leads to a casual disregard for Imperial Citizen's lives, while the other is blood-crazed and nigh-incontrollable thanks to, sigh, the Gene-curse of Sanguinius. Both Chapters have committed terrible atrocities (even by Imperial standards), but which one makes for the most interesting discussions, stories and actual character-development?

Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions on the fluff folks, I really appreciate it.

Great looking marine, could I ask the recipe for the yellow?

Guessing: White, brown ink, layer golden + increasing amounts of white?

No problem man:

1)basecoat Iyanden Darksun

2) applied Flesh wash

3) layer of 1:1 mix of Iyanden and Golden Yellow

4) layer of Golden yellow

5) First highlight with Sunshine Yellow

6) Finally highlight of 2:1 mix of Sunshine Yellow and Bleached Bone.

I will update this log when I have some thing new to post.

Archived