Heavy Weaponry and Tac Squads.

G3rman

Hey guys, another tactical question.

Since White Scars don't use Devastators because they get left behind (in fluff), my Storm Lords are in a similar outlook. So, if I was to take heavy weaponry to support my army in a normal tac squad with a Rhino, what would be an effective combo?

I was thinking;

Flamer; Plas Cannon

Flamer/Plas Gun?; Lascannon

Haven't played in a while so I don't know the tactics, feel free to lay it out.

Depends on how you're playing the squad. If you're planning on combat squadding than I feel the options like lascannons and plasma cannons and missile launchers get better, as you're hanging back with part of the squad, or at times all of the squad. However, if you're not doing that you're best bet will be multi-meltas, especially with those weapons. With flamers it diversifies the squad by letting them take on vehicles, with plasma it complements them quite nicely. The range issue isn't really an issue as you'll be moving into midfield anyway where you can set up some zones of denial.

im one of those chaps who dislikes MMs on tac squads, the whole zones of denial idea is a bad one IMO, tac squads arent roadblocks they are support units.

that aside (not wanting to respark an old argument) i think the twi best choices for tac squads are the following:

plasmagun, lascannon in rhino

ML, flamer, fist and combi-flamer in rhino

As far as heavy weapons on tact squads go, the humble missile launcher is free, and has great versatility.

Frags and kraks essentially give you 2 heavy weapons. For free.

Did I mention they're free?

I'm not a fan of the aforementioned "melta bunkers", there are so many other ways to get faster or cheaper melta in marine lists.

But some people have success with them, so meh.

I agree with GC08's tact squad load out, of combi-flamer, flamer, missile launcher, rhino.

(I've gone off powerfists on tact squads). Cheap, great crowd control, and can put out enough wounds to threaten MEQ, borderline TEQ.

Fun fact, the combi-flamer is the only one shot weapon you'll never miss with :)

I agree with GC08's tact squad load out, of combi-flamer, flamer, missile launcher, rhino.

(I've gone off powerfists on tact squads). Cheap, great crowd control, and can put out enough wounds to threaten MEQ, borderline TEQ.

Fun fact, the combi-flamer is the only one shot weapon you'll never miss with :D

This is easily my favourite loadout as well.

I usually take two squads, you can combat squad them when you're not in killpoint games and have 10 dudes with two missile launchers sat on a backfield objective while the flamer half goes forward in their Rhinos to kill things/contest midfield.

Occasionally ill put go Melta/Combi-Melta instead of the flamers if im playing someone i know'll be having a few vehicles that could ruin my day, but generally there are better ways of taking vehicles out. Can be handy against heavy Infantry though.

Hey guys, another tactical question.

Since White Scars don't use Devastators because they get left behind (in fluff), my Storm Lords are in a similar outlook. So, if I was to take heavy weaponry to support my army in a normal tac squad with a Rhino, what would be an effective combo?

I was thinking;

Flamer; Plas Cannon

Flamer/Plas Gun?; Lascannon

Haven't played in a while so I don't know the tactics, feel free to lay it out.

Devs aren't great anyway.

Tactical layouts: there is not one best combo. You have to provide the right mix throughout the army. Flamer/ML is the most versatile. Since you likely will meet armoured cans in armoured boxes a lot though, many people go with c-melta, melta, MM/ML/PC. They leave dealing with hordes up to other parts of their army, namely dakka preds, rifleman dreads and typhoons. TFC or 2xHF Sternguards in a Rhino can help too.

Alex

Thanks for the replies.

I was planning on having a bike force to handle the enemy vehicles, or vehicles of my own. I want my infantry to be lethal to enemy infantry and be flexible.

I've heard some bad things about the ML, it may be free and versatile but overall its not great at what it does. Flamer is always good so I know I will be using it, however, I think a Plasma Cannon would be useful against enemy infantry.

The ML is great. The Typhoon/Cyclone ML is even better. Why is it great? You have a fair chance of stunning or killing transports.. You can put wounds on MCs. You can place hits on hordes or Terminators (try use frags against units with save 2+). You can instant death (and/or bypass FnP) T4 models.

Plasma Cannon is shorter range, has trouble with AV12 and even AV11 to some degree. It is great against MEQ/TEQ when they are not in cover and clustered (for example after killing their Rhino).

Lascannon is solid for taking on AV12/13 and can handle AV10/11 fairly reliably but a Typhoon or Cyclone ML is better for that. Or 2xAutocannon dread.

Heavy Bolter is just good as an auxiliary weapon (Pred/Typhoon)

A note on bikes and infantry. The really dangerous infantry that marines have can be found in the Elite section. Tacticals are only dangerous when they jump out of their Rhino and Rapid Fire with 10 man at an unit within 12''. They are not dangerous in melee due to A1 and lack of power weapons or any other dangerous rule/gear.

Bikes can't bear the task of handling vehicles on their own. Having fast melta on bikes is good. Very good. But those need to go for the hard targets: AV13+. Everything else will probably need to get adressed by a large arsenal of ranged AT aka TL Autocannons, Missiles, Lascannons.

Alex

Since White Scars don't use Devastators because they get left behind (in fluff)..

Devs aren't great anyway.

That may be - but for clarification, they are (now) fluffy for White Scars and their successors who emulate them.

Thanks, although I'm inclined to argue that its a contradiction to GW fluff, I won't because I don't have the book and am relatively new to WS fluff. Besides, I've decided to use devastators sparingly in my Brotherhood anyway.

Archived