HQ of Choice

bmcsw007

Librarian.

Best basic HQ: cheap, psychic hood (a must), psychic powers.

The best special character is Kantor. Great army buffs but you'll have to build an army around Sternguard.

I'm not fond of Specials per say.

Unfortunately Captains/Chapter Masters don't add much save the ability to kill1-3 Meqs/ turn. Considering they may only see 1-3 turns of combat this is a complete waste. I'd rather go for the cheapest HQ possible and spend more on units, for example: the points I save from running a naked Librarian instead of almost any other HQ can be converted into Land Speeders, Scout Squads, even Predators, etc. All of which are much more likely to actually WIN games than a tooled up HQ.

Chaplains are ok but nothing special unless they're in Terminator Armour with a TASquad in a LRC. Too many points and you have to build your army around that unit.

Nope, the bog standard Librarian fits best into any army, any build, any time. He's useful but cheap enough that if he doesn't perform you've not lost much. However, I must say that I've run him for the past 40 games in a row against Guard, 'nids, 'crons, Chaos, Orks, Eldar and Space Wolves and he's done his job every single time, whether it be blocking psychic attacks, using Avenger (great power), Null Zoning for the SG to do damage, etc.

Unless a new Codex significantly beefs up Chaplains or Captains/CMs, I'll never run another HQ again.

Archived