Ironclad dreads

Myxx

It's an interesting idea, although I'd personally keep it with a heavy flamer, in my experience a single storm bolter doesn't do much. I'd be tempted to try it as well, I tend to dislike Drop Pods so I don't normally use Ironclads as they seem too short ranged to leg it. May be interesting to run it alongside a big Terminator squad, I've heard of good things from melta and assault cannon Dreads accompanying them, in this capacity it could do a similar job, contributing a couple more missile shots, with its other equipment allowing it to help out against high AV targets, could worth a shot.

I can certainly vouch for the Heavy Gunner Dreadnought (a cheeky Borderlands-themed play on the name Rifleman Dreadnought from myself). I took one to the last Throne of Skulls I went to and it never disappointed. Ok sometimes it died terribly but that was because my opponents were fearful of it's potential.

Maybe I should do the same. I mean, I do LOVE Dreadnoughts and have 3 already, so perhaps I can have my Lascannon Dread, Heavy Gunner and Ironclad marching together as an unstoppable mass of guns and heavy metal? Would mean I'd have to find points from somewhere though as I'm not dropping those Typhoons!

I never march then unless in city fight games.

Two reasons.

1. The range, yeah adding 2 HKMs make up for some of it, but honestly, two missiles shots 1 time don't do much after turn 1. You still have to march towards the enemy and do nothing for a turn or two, aside from being shot at(lances negate that AV13 btw) or stay home and play defensively.

2. An ICD drop podding in, after it unloads it ranged weapons and waits for turn 2, the enemy either has to reposition(which if you pod right you can effect their moves) or they have to focus fire on the dread to get rid of it or it will wreck shop.

Who likes it when bad guys deep strike in their DZ? No one, especially when that deep striker is a AV 13, S 10 toting warmachine with a heavy flamer, melta gun and 4 attacks on the charge at I 4.

I may need to get a couple more come to think of it...

MM

This is how I would run footslogging Ironclads.

Master of the Forge

6 Ironclads w/ 2 hunter-killer missiles

4 Tacticals w/ combi-flamer and las/plas razorbacks

3 typhoons

Total: 2000

Large alpha strike potential with the Ironclads advancing the whole time. Thanks to extra armor they'll be moving the entire game unless they get destroyed or immobilized. Just about all your opponent's transports should be neutralized or spilled their their contents for the typhoons to shoot at. Don't worry about powerfists. Ironclads take them on the chin like champs. There's also a MotF fixing stuff to be annoying.

I'm sorry, but where's the alpha strike potential? Alpha strike potential relates to getting first turn charges on things. So Scouts in Storm have alpha strike potential, but nothing in that list does. Rather that's using the Ironclads as bullet magnets, scaring your opponent and forcing him to shoot at them as opposed to your more vulnerable Razorbacks and Typhoons, which is a decent way to run them.

Of course, a good opponent would neutralise your long-range first and then deal with the Ironclads when they get to melta range.

I've had Ironclads stomp up the field a few times, but I don't rate it. Once they've fired the HKs off they can be ignored until they close the gap which can take a little while. Better to pod them in where they are an immediate threat and can start wrecking things from turn 1.

If you're running an Ironclad up the centre would it be worth thinking of running one with hurricane bolters? You may lose that extra attack in combat and the heavy flamer or meltagun (depending if you really want the heavy flamer and therefore upgrade the meltagun to get it). So loses effectiveness in combat, but gets better against hordes (arguable for 3-6 TL bolt shots vs +1A in combat and heavy flamer) and a bit of range. I'd imagine that it'd be able to get in range within a turn or two of firing it's HKMs. I'd imagine the answer would be more based on how it stacks up compared to a normal Dread with assault cannon.

I just can't stomach taking the hurricane bolters. If you could take it on both sides, that would be a different story.

3 shots at 24 and 6 at 12, even it twin linked, just doesn't do much for me. Maybe in a drop pod so you can be sure to get the 6 shots, but even then, idk. Man if you could take 2 though... I would on at least 1.

I just can't stomach taking the hurricane bolters. If you could take it on both sides, that would be a different story.

3 shots at 24 and 6 at 12, even it twin linked, just doesn't do much for me. Maybe in a drop pod so you can be sure to get the 6 shots, but even then, idk. Man if you could take 2 though... I would on at least 1.

The low rate of fire is indeed the problem with the Hurricane Bolter arm. Every other weapon in the Ironclad's arsenal is designed to destroy units with an AV. Throwing in a low-ROF anti-grunt weapon gives the Ironclad a personality disorder. Instead of a solid anti-armor platform, you're left with a questionable anti-armor platform with a limited utility anti-trooper weapon strapped to the side.

Not quite true. There are Heavy Flamers also which are almost pure anti-infantry.

But the Hurricane bolters do seem a little lack lustre really. Up close they are ok, but not quite as good as a heavy flamer and you can have a heavy flamer and still keep the extra attack.

Now if we could replace both arms for Hurricane bolters, that would be cool. 12 shots a turn is nothing to be sniffed at. Of course, I get a 6 shot Dreadnought with Autocannon and Assault Cannon for a mere 125pts, and those shots are high strength, so the competetion seems stiff.

I'm sensing a lack of love for solo Ironclads in lists who walk up the field, so I doubt I would ever try it since I haven't the time or money to spend on one just to experiment. (count as perhaps?)

Since I don't own any drop pods, I've run my lone Ironclad on foot from time to time. I leave his arms stock, and add FALs and two HKs. He's an area denial tool and that's about it. He becomes a "I dare you to try to take this patch of land from me" model. He cannot reasonably be expected to advance forward and do much of anything, so I use him as a bodyguard and take the occasional potshot at side or rear armor with his HKs.

It's not a tactic everyone will enjoy using.

So, I have a few WIP photos of my Ironclad. (Mods: could you sling this over to the WIP section?) Since it will be a Techmarine Dread, it still needs some gears and skulls and such...

gallery_52430_5361_10473.jpg

...but I always thought the seismic hammer should be a hammer, now with added melta...

gallery_52430_5361_7848.jpg

...and a DCCW with storm bolter...

gallery_52430_5361_9518.jpg

...the heavy flamer mounted on the sarcophagus, which I figured was a good place for a short range template weapon...

gallery_52430_5361_2568.jpg

I wanted to model all 3 options, so I could use whichever 2 out of 3 seem to work. As to the Techmarine-ification, I am looking for some transfers or brass-etch of the AdMech skull/symbol to add, but have been unsuccessful so far.

C&C appreciated of course.

-Myxx

My Ironclad has the Hurricane Bolters (no hunter killers or FAL) and does... okay. I'll admit it's looking like the DCCW would've been a better idea now, but armies that are charging me he makes for a great counter assault unit for my devastator squads or sternguard veteran units, able to lay down some decent CQ fire (letting the Devs still target their heavier targets for a turn) and then quickly steps up to the plate when the enemy gets in range of assault.

Above posters are right though, the Anti Vehicle abilities are lost, 'side from the Melta and single hammer which are okay but nothing special compared to the units he's supporting, which might be lascannon or multi melta squads.

All in all you lose the one-machine power house and gain army unification, which of course has ads and disads depending on your opponent. I'm sure anyone reading my post would have already wanted to say you would've probably been better off just with an Assault cannon standard dread, and I agree, but it's way cooler to have an Ironclad on the tabletop. *shrug*

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, not to raise a dead thread form the grave but im contemplating an Ironclad for my army list, however ive come across a wee snag.

The DCCW can be swapped for the Hurricane Bolters, but do i lose the built in Stormbolter/H.Flamer if i do? from the way its written in the codex, i cant quite be sure (unless im having a senior moment) but if any1 could clarify wether you do or dont lose the attached S.Bolter when swapping DDCW for Hurricane Bolters, would be much appreciated :)

Shaabhekh

Archived