BA Battleforce

Armor Athlete

They take the sprues from the boxes of Death Company, Assault Squad, Tactical Squad and a Rhino. It's the generic sprues, nothing extraordinarily fancy about them.

Me and my friend (he is starting a Space Marine army) bought two battleforces and split them so he got the Tac. Sqs and the Rhinos and I got the Assault Squads and Death Company. That was a good deal :confused:.

I think the Battleforce is a pretty good value personally. I've bought one already with my eye on purchasing at least one more. I used the DC and Assault marine sprues to make a full 10 man Assault squad, the tactical sprue made 5 bolter DC and a 4 man Dev squad 2x plasma cannon and 2x lascannon with Srgt. (with some odds and ends bits for the Sgt and an extra plasma cannon and lascannon for the heavy weapons). The Rhino chasis I haven't touched yet since I have all I need at the momment, but it will likely get painted up pretty soon, you can never have too many Rhino chasis in my opinion. All in all I think it's a good value especially if you can snag it at a discount, the place I order from offers a 30% discount w/ $6 flat rate shipping. that's a lot of stuff for only roughly $76.

The biggest problem with it, honestly, is the Tactical Squad. The DC can easily have their bitz spread around to make fancier-looking Assault Marines, but few BA armies are going to want a squad of Tacticals these days (although there are some that do.) However, with a little conversion work to chop the Bolters down to Bolt Pistols or some bitz buying to get the BP/CCW arms you need, you can make them into twenty ASM (up to ten jump packs, the others on foot to go in the Rhino), so it ends up being a quite good deal in that respect. You also get the heavy/special that can be used for Devs or traded to some poor SW player who doesn't want to pay $4 does a single Missile Launcher.

The biggest problem with it, honestly, is the Tactical Squad. The DC can easily have their bitz spread around to make fancier-looking Assault Marines, but few BA armies are going to want a squad of Tacticals these days (although there are some that do.) However, with a little conversion work to chop the Bolters down to Bolt Pistols or some bitz buying to get the BP/CCW arms you need, you can make them into twenty ASM (up to ten jump packs, the others on foot to go in the Rhino), so it ends up being a quite good deal in that respect.

That's a lot of work when you can just make mounted DC of the Tac squad instead. You'll want some bolters in there anyway so the CC arms should be enough to make 10 ASM and some DC with no problem.

The Tac squad can be converted into Devs by using HK missiles. It's fairly easy work, and looks good if done right.

"Done right" unfortunately involves having a set of proper missile launchers arms, and how often do you have those but not the launcher?

The Tac squad can be converted into Devs by using HK missiles. It's fairly easy work, and looks good if done right.

"Done right" unfortunately involves having a set of proper missile launchers arms, and how often do you have those but not the launcher?

Incorrect, frankly. It takes a set of bolter arms and a smidge of GS. *shrug*

I'm a bit skeptical since every conversion like that I've seen looks like crap. Not as bad as using IG launchers though.

Just order the forgeworld set and you get extra meltas and missile launchers for less than one ML will run you at many places.

I'm a bit skeptical since every conversion like that I've seen looks like crap. Not as bad as using IG launchers though.

Just order the forgeworld set and you get extra meltas and missile launchers for less than one ML will run you at many places.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Razzuran/DSCF0745.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Razzuran/DSCF0744.jpg

Conversion on the left, Tac squad missile launcher on the right. I'm still working on the base for the conversion model, but you get the idea. Conversion takes me about 45 minutes, including drying times. In addition to the HK missile, there's a bit of plasticard, and the tubing I ordered from Dragonforge. GS for each wrist joint.

@Volcatus: Interesting idea to use HK-missile launcers. You wouldn't happen to have a tutorial on it? :)

Sure. I'll get one put together tomorrow.

Conversion on the left, Tac squad missile launcher on the right. I'm still working on the base for the conversion model, but you get the idea. Conversion takes me about 45 minutes, including drying times. In addition to the HK missile, there's a bit of plasticard, and the tubing I ordered from Dragonforge. GS for each wrist joint.

Proved me wrong. :)

The extra work with the tubing and plasticard makes all the difference.

I picked up the BABF with a 18% discount and its a good investment, you can make a full assault squad (minus 1 melta guy, but can be converted with a infernus pistol and a bolter) and a 10 DC squad with rhino or even another RAS on foot. A good deal if you havent started yet your BA army.

List: 5 DC chainsword, 5 RAS chainswords, 2 chainsword of the special weapons sprue, 2 PFists (1 in the DC sprue 1 in the RAS sprue), 1THamer, 1 Melta, 1 Flamer, 3 PWeapons (1 in the DC sprue, 2 in the RAS sprue) 2 Infernus pistols, 2 handflamers.... yep there are a lot of goodies

Archived