Planned expansion of my Brotherhood.

G3rman

Hey guys, back again for advice from the ancients.

I am planning to expand my current Storm Lord Brotherhood (equivalent of Company fyi) and I'm pretty sure of the direction I want to go in, but thought I'd get some advice first.

I want more models, infantry to be precise, and expand on my fast attack bike choices later (because I have no bikes or speeders currently.). I also wanted a real vehicle since I only have a razorback currently and I feel unsatisfied with it.

I was going to get a BA battleforce along with a Predator. I have some magnetized tape to use for the tank to expand my options in the future.

Would this be a good step? Or should I forget the battleforce and choose the ravenwing expansion?

I currently have;

1 Warlord (Captain)

1 Chaplain

15+ bolter marines

2 Melta, 1 Plasma Gun and spatterings of Plasma pistols

6 Heavy Weapons (2 MM, PC, LC, 2 HB)

Razorback

5 Assault marines along with a good amount of converted marines with CCW and pistols but no jetpack.

Thanks to a stunning suggestion by ShinyRhino, I want to have my tac squads advance in rhinos supported by assault marines behind them, along with in the future bikes and armor for forward elements.

Only downside really to picking BA battleforce is that I lose the combat squad of the regular and I have to deal with BA icons. I do get sexy honor guard/vanguard possibilities with the death company sprues.

I also can avoid getting scouts, and I hate scouts for everything but their sniper rifles. :P

So basically what I'm asking is;

Should I grab the BA battleforce to strengthen my infantry (focusing on fast attack) or grab the SM battleforce for a more balanced expansion. Or neither and grab the ravenwing for bikes? Or should I exchange the predator for something else.

I'm really only against using a dreadnought to keep the fluff of WS as far as vehicles are concerned. I've realized that I love my heavy weapons too much so I will use Devs in my army, sparingly of course.

I'm not a tournie player and I'm mainly in it for the fun and fluff, so no need to point me toward competitive lists. I would like second opinions before I place my order.

Also as a side-note, I'm gong to be getting some nice animal furs and gun-spears for my Lords to spice them up. :P

At this point, I think you should go for the battleforce. As it is right now, your force is extremely small.

That being said, the ravenwing set is never a bad decision for someone who's going to expand into bikes/speeders heavily.

Given the tactical approach you have adopted, I suppose it would be most wise to bulk out the core of the army first, namely another tac squad, 2 rhinos/razors or whatever, and a filled out assualt squad. From there, I think you'll have more experience with the core from which to draw when making a decision on what supporting forces you want to include.

As for the predator... it could prove to be a useful addition based on how you arm it and what sort of firebase it is a part of. If you are going to play BA, then it's a great mobile fireboat that'll keep up with your wall while providing fire. If not, then it'll mostly be a fancy turret.

Just consider this when building the predator. Tactical squads are good enough at handling enemy infantry. Don't shoot yourself in the foot and make your predator semi-capable at engaging light-medium infantry as well by giving it heavy bolters. Go with the lascannon sponsons and autocannon so you cover the inherent weakness of tactical squads - their inability to engage armor at range while remaining a meaningful battlefield presence.

Also, don't underestimate the utility of scouts in multiple POUs. Scouts can fulfill many roles that Tactical marines are not well suited for, such as close combat cleaners, bargain objective claimers, flanking disruptors, and meaningful long range plinkers. Do not let your personal prejudices get in the way of you utilizing a very useful tool in the codex, as scouts are undeniably useful when utilized with their strengths in mind.

;)

can i ask why?

Ugly models and a bland and boring fluff make them my least favorite unit in SM. They are the future of the chapter and yet you make them look like squats! Even though I hate to admit it, SW did that much right in making their scouts elite astartes and sending neophytes straight into battle as Blood Claws.

@spartan249

Thanks for the advice! Just to make it clear because I didn't in my original post, I'm not using the BA codex or even a BA successor chapter; I play a WS successor which is why I want bikes and speeders eventually. I just like the simple and overall most useful contents in the BA battleforce in comparison to the Ultrasmurf generic one.

Not to mention I snagged a unit of Sanguinary guard for vanguard/honor guards. :D

I agree though, I need more infantry. My bikes can wait, especially since I don't plan to run a bikes-as-troops army as White Scars are encouraged to do, I plan to use them as support only.

Like I said with the predator, I have some magnets that will hopefully help me make the weapons interchangeable. That said, you make a good point of it being most useful for enemy armor killing and let my infantry take care of their infantry.

About the scouts..I understand their use, but from a standpoint of not being a tournie guy I mainly just pick what I like and what will take care for the mission best. If I ever get around to ordering some better looking heads, I would consider using scouts; a popular choice is Pig Iron, and I've seen the finished outcome. They will never be my favorite unit, but depending how they look they might get used once in a while. :)

Heh, fair enough about the scouts. You can honestly get by without them, so no big loss.

Ok, so you are running Codex. In that case, I highly suggest you reconsider using tactical squads as your core. I really think you might do better embracing the WS fluff and going with a very solid shooting core of 3 full biker squads. I would give these bikers 2 plasma guns and a multi-melta attack bike both for the flexible engagement range and their ability to engage heavy armor targets, both infantry and vehicular. While this seems like it's leaving the bikers open to light-infantry like orks, it really isn't because A: the bikers have twin-linked bolters, and B: supporting forces (like those land speeders you get in each RW box) can handle that POU with Heavy Flamers/Assault Cannons.

Bikes in C:SM are so sinfully cheap it's almost a crime not to take them, especially when they can score. The vast mobility upgrade is definitely worth the extra investment, as it opens up so many options during gameplay about how to position your forces in the opening and how you will control the objectives.

You really think I should get the Ravenwing force then? I suppose it would be good to get away from infantry since I have them and no bikes already. I hear land speeders are hard to put together though, any tips as far as its loadout?

I'm still open to more opinions on the matter.

Archived