Vanilla Marine honor guard + IA special character?

ale0x

I'm wondering if it is legal to take Honor Guard with the IA10 special character High Chaplain Thulsa Kane...

He is the chapter master of the Executioners chapter and comes with Chapter Tactics, etc.

I know that people take Honor Guard with Marneus and Kantor...is it because it is specifically stated in their rules, or by virtue of the fact that they are Chapter Masters?

Thanks guys :P

While High Chaplain Thulsa Kane effectively was in command of the Executioners Chapter during the Badad War, he did not hold the official title of Chapter Master. The former Chapter Master, Arkash Hakkon, had given command over to Kane at the beginning of the Badab War, but he had also decreed that there was not to be an official new "Lord Executioner" until the end of the war, so that no other Executioners Chapter Master would be tainted by that sin. (See IA9, p. 24) So based on that I would say that Thulsa Kane can only get a Command Squad, but no honour guard.

A 'Chapter Tactics' rule is no sign that the character is a Chapter Master. Lysander, Shrike, He'stan and Kor'Sarro Khan all have a 'Chapter Tactics' rule, even though none of them is a Chapter Master. Marneus Calgar, in turn, does not have a 'Chapter Tactics' rule even though he is a Chapter Master. That special rule is meant to turn an army under the command of that character into a force of that particular Chapter. It is not meant to signify any special effect the presence of a Chapter Master would have.

legaly you can only take what the rules allow, so unless the rules for command squad/honor guard say they can be taken with those characters (they dont), or those characters say they can take a command squad/honor guard with them (dont have the book in question so I dont know), then you cant.

Of course being an IA special character in the first place you are already out of the Offical rules area and into "requires oponent permision" so if the guy on the other side of the table is cool with it, go with it.

legaly you can only take what the rules allow, so unless the rules for command squad/honor guard say they can be taken with those characters (they dont), or those characters say they can take a command squad/honor guard with them (dont have the book in question so I dont know), then you cant.

Of course being an IA special character in the first place you are already out of the Offical rules area and into "requires oponent permision" so if the guy on the other side of the table is cool with it, go with it.

You always require the opponents permission... I've had people refuse to play me because I play Eldar... *sighs*

Archived