No Corvus helmets!

I just noticed something... There are no 'beakie' helmets on any Chaos sprue. I have no logical explanation for this, besides GW couldn't find a way to make a Chaotic version.

It would be really nice to have some Mk. 6 helmets on my Chaos armies that I don't have to pilfer from my loyalist armies... Does anyone have an idea why GW doesn't do this?

because corvus helmets came after the Heresy, chaos cant have them unless they loot it off and even then they are still hard to get.

Wrong. They were developed during the endgame of the heresy and the traitor legions did manage to get their hands on a fair few IIRC. (as for the occasional beaked helmet in art showing ealier stages of the heresy, likely experimental pieces)

Even mk 7 was invented right at the end of the heresy and was used (exclusively) by the loyalists on Terra (and luna according to lexicanum).

allot of the EC had Corvus helms in there art work not sure if that is canon. But they do look to have them just look at the old EC mini Jes Godwin made for Slannesh that is a Beaky helm with a tube for the front going into the chest.

To be perfectly honest, the artists and the fluff don't always perfectly add up on the armour mk's. :lol:

Of course, once they had access to it, it would show up.

After the heresy the armour marks don't even have to matter, because the chaos marines may steal and stylize armour to their heart's content (even to the point where some armour is pretty much unrecognisable).

Quite logically, but it's still a pity we don't have such helmets - they look very good and we have even Mk. 2/3 helmets, i think Corvus-helmets're specially given to loyalists 'cause of it. Maybe. In any case there's a Forge to help us :P

allot of the EC had Corvus helms in there art work not sure if that is canon. But they do look to have them just look at the old EC mini Jes Godwin made for Slannesh that is a Beaky helm with a tube for the front going into the chest.

:P from the WD.

http://s001.radikal.ru/i194/1110/77/c2a530d3fd88.jpg

because corvus helmets came after the Heresy, chaos cant have them unless they loot it off and even then they are still hard to get.

Wrong. They were developed during the endgame of the heresy and the traitor legions did manage to get their hands on a fair few IIRC.

WD129, Mk6 entry: "During the Martian campaign forces of Horus eventually overran the production facilities for Space Marine armour and soon began to manufacture new suits for their own use. Consignments were distributed to other forces elsewhere in the galaxy so that this new type of armour became quite widespread"

Wrong. They were developed during the endgame of the heresy and the traitor legions did manage to get their hands on a fair few IIRC.

WD129, Mk6 entry: "During the Martian campaign forces of Horus eventually overran the production facilities for Space Marine armour and soon began to manufacture new suits for their own use. Consignments were distributed to other forces elsewhere in the galaxy so that this new type of armour became quite widespread"

The Martian campaign, as in, Mars? Little close to the endgame there :P (Ignoring the fact that it became quite widespread regardless... ^_^ )

Yeah, that's the details. Basically Horus and his main force get their hands on the mk6 armour when they completely take over Mars, before getting to Terra. That's what I mean't by "endgame".

Of course it's possible that black library has stretched out the "endgame" a bit now that they expand on the heresy.

I've always stolen (read: traded) mine from loyalists (players) and repainted them.

Back when I started playing 40K, Beakies were commonplace so it felt only natural to acquire some after the first CSM plastics were released.

To me they are aesthetically pleasing when combined with Chaos bits and as has been mentioned already, their use fits with the fluff.

gallery_11038_549_35911.jpg

gallery_11038_549_16760.jpg

I'm in agreement that Corvus helmets available to the forces of Chaos. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty damn certain that there is a piece of Night Lords artwork in the previous Chaos Codex which shows one of them wearing a Corvus helmet.

The.Latros.Sacrum

I'm in agreement that Corvus helmets available to the forces of Chaos. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty damn certain that there is a piece of Night Lords artwork in the previous Chaos Codex which shows one of them wearing a Corvus helmet.

The.Latros.Sacrum

After the heresy it doesn't even matter, because what they want they can steal. Even imperial tech not available in the chaos codex could just be stolen. This happens a lot in the black library books, even though the boardgame rules don't allow the items, as the rules have to be restricted to be somewhat fair. (stuff like hand held multi meltas or plasma cannons and such)

even though the boardgame rules don't allow the items, as the rules have to be restricted to be somewhat fair. (stuff like hand held multi meltas or plasma cannons and such)
We used to be able to do that though, back in 2nd edition.

even though the boardgame rules don't allow the items, as the rules have to be restricted to be somewhat fair. (stuff like hand held multi meltas or plasma cannons and such)
We used to be able to do that though, back in 2nd edition.

That should definately be re-introduced in the next Chaos Codex :D

The.Latros.Sacrum

Let's see...the old IA articles showed a few pre-heresy mk. VI's (Night Lords and Emperor's Children, off the top of my head)m the Horus Heresy collected visions book have TONS of Mk. VI shown for every Legion, and the Horus Heresy books are starting to show them popping up as well (Battle for the Abyss Word Bearers and I believe the Ultramarine; and the short story Little Horus had the White Scars entirely plated in Mk. VI as well). I've personally always felt comfortable with having Corvus helms in Traitor Legions, both pre- and Post-heresy. There's enough evidence, in my opinion, to use Corvus armour.

Oh, and since Nihm is throwing around pics of Night Lords with beakies... :)

gallery_37532_5424_11979.png

Ya while the fluff on corvus helmets has always been a tad hazy it's pretty iconic for the Night Lords, especially with terror markings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/Nightlord1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/SquadCaligaNL42.jpg

It's funny but the armor that seems to be most represented in the CSM kit is MKVII which should be the least available to them. But I guess that's to make them match loyalists who have primarily MKVII armor :huh: . There's a significant lack of MKIV-V which would be the most common armor used by the traitors.

Archived