assaulting an enemy that was already in assault

i had this very rules argument with a very experienced and 'famous' gamer, it was just before the 1.4 FAQ..

we couldnt agree so i let it go, thankfully after the updated FAQ he saw my interpretation was correct and apologised.

but even the best and more experienced gamers can get these things wrong, im very concerned it takes 4 updates to a rules set to get these things sorted

On a similar note...I assaulted my friends wolves with a crusader squad, killing a few at I4, he deliberately took out the ones closest to my powerfist, therefore denying his attacks, is this legal? I couldn't think of a reason why not but my brain screamed out 'MY POWER FIST GETS TO HIT YOU!' o.o

If you were able to hit that unit at the beginning of the combat, and said unit is still alive when initiative 1 comes up, you can still attack that unit, regardless of what models he pulled off the table.

Page 35 of the rulebook under who can fight in case this happens again you will be able to show him. I was once under that same impression as well but this was pointed out to me and while it doesn't make complete sense to me I let it be since this is just a game.

everything is judged before attacks are rolled.. initiative is more about wound allocation, as mentioned aslong as the powerfist is alive and the unit still has members then he gets to swing.

note that in most close combats ive seen, people dont declare whos attacking who until each stage of initiative, which is technically wrong as it leaves it open to abuse if someone wanted to change thier mind half way through the round

On a similar note...I assaulted my friends wolves with a crusader squad, killing a few at I4, he deliberately took out the ones closest to my powerfist, therefore denying his attacks, is this legal? I couldn't think of a reason why not but my brain screamed out 'MY POWER FIST GETS TO HIT YOU!' o.o

That was how it worked under in 4th Edition, which was why it was specifically "fixed" in 5th Edition; folks didn't think hijinks like that were fair, so the rules for close combat was changed to resolve that problem. Some folks just don't catch all of the changes, even years into a new edition.

V

Archived