Red Wolves

ChaosKen60

Hello All

It has been sometime since I posted; but I quit 40K for a while and had to sell my Chaos Army due to personal reasons.

Well I am thinking of playing again, and for 1st time in very long time I am going to try Loyalist, I love the BA background but be a bit DIY'er I would like something more of my own.

So I was look around the web and found the Red Wolves - Link http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Red_Wolves#.Tqm6anKljRY

Not much there but then I saw the name of the Home world: Bloodfall; "Bloodfall is the homeworld of the Space Marine Chapter Red Wolves." now I know is up to me, I would like see what you all think?

Could the Red Wolves be a Blood Angels Successor?

Thanks

Probably not. The sources are official GW publishments, so it would have appeared in our codex as these publishments are older than our current codex.

Officially, they are no successor of the Blood Angels me thinks. However, you can still make a successor chapter and name it that way and also adopt the paint scheme.

Oh, and be prepared to be looked at for combining Blood Angels and Space Wolves. ^_^

Snorri

Probably not. The sources are official GW publishments, so it would have appeared in our codex as these publishments are older than our current codex.

Officially, they are no successor of the Blood Angels me thinks. However, you can still make a successor chapter and name it that way and also adopt the paint scheme.

Oh, and be prepared to be looked at for combining Blood Angels and Space Wolves. :P

Snorri

Good Point, about combining Blood Angels and Space Wolves, something I never thought of; the main reason I was thinking them as Blood Angels Successor was the Homeworld's name it seemed so BA, plus the world location in Segmentum Solar it just felt right. Azkaellon placing them there to help guard Holy Terra :lol:

Thanks for the input give something more to think about.

Ok these are the listed successors of the BA - Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Angels Vermillion, Blood Drinkers, Exsanguinators, Flesh Eaters, Flesh Tearers, Knights of Blood, Knights Sanguine, Lamenters, Blood Swords (Claimed otherwise in Codex: Blood Angels 5th ed.), Blood Legion, and Red Wings.

So next question - Can there be others or does "The Flaw" prevent, the Imperium from using the Gene-seed? :lol:

Ok these are the listed successors of the BA - Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Angels Vermillion, Blood Drinkers, Exsanguinators, Flesh Eaters, Flesh Tearers, Knights of Blood, Knights Sanguine, Lamenters, Blood Swords (Claimed otherwise in Codex: Blood Angels 5th ed.), Blood Legion, and Red Wings.

So next question - Can there be others or does "The Flaw" prevent, the Imperium from using the Gene-seed? :lol:

I think the geneseed is used less often now. There'd be the centuries after the heresy when the bulk of our successors would have been formed. Now the flaw has become more apparent, i doubt that the High lords want to use such an unstable geneseed in founding chapters, especially when there's banks full of Ultra/Fists ones. That being said, that list of successors is by no means exhaustive and you can very easily have your own chapter formed within those days when the Blood Angels geneseed was being more readily used.

So next question - Can there be others or does "The Flaw" prevent, the Imperium from using the Gene-seed? :P

I think the geneseed is used less often now. There'd be the centuries after the heresy when the bulk of our successors would have been formed. Now the flaw has become more apparent, i doubt that the High lords want to use such an unstable geneseed in founding chapters, especially when there's banks full of Ultra/Fists ones. That being said, that list of successors is by no means exhaustive and you can very easily have your own chapter formed within those days when the Blood Angels geneseed was being more readily used.

Ok thanks witchunter kraine, when I played Chaos never worried about that stuff, and last time I played "Loyal" was a long time ago - RT Days :P

But what to you think of the Red Wolves idea??

So next question - Can there be others or does "The Flaw" prevent, the Imperium from using the Gene-seed? :P

Ok thanks witchunter kraine, when I played Chaos never worried about that stuff, and last time I played "Loyal" was a long time ago - RT Days :P

But what to you think of the Red Wolves idea??

Ah no worries. They leave this sort of thing deliberately blank as a canvas for us gamers to work with. Perhaps see what you can come up with yourself with regards to a bloodies successor? Might be a bit easier than adopting the Red wolves, I've noticed theyre mentioned in the Badab war book and forge world have been quite good with fleshing out these obscure characters so you never know, they might get their mitts on them.

I found a name called the Angels Revenant. They are listed in some IA. They have no info and revenant means returned ghost. I was going to have them be cursed in that sometimes they will have flashbacks or act like the previous geneseed owner. This sort of fell in with the BA seed flaw so I just went with them being a BA successor. I use thier codex and wanted a "flying" army. You should be good, but people will think that you are mixing SW and BA.

IIRC BA GENESEED has hardly any or no flaws. the curse however is apparent and indeed appearing more often but the mechanicus and the apothecaries (or sanguinary priests in our case) cant find anything wrong with the geneseed itself :D

so its likely that would use it again, theyre just not listed in the current BA dex. then again most DIY chapters arent :P

Considering the reference to them come from C:SM it seems likely they are not BA...BUT neither were Lamenters or Blood Knights before...do what you feel is right. You can even make the assertion that a genetic modification similar to the Canis helix was introduced into the population of bloodfall creating BAs that have SW like traits. And badoink there's your Blood Wolves.

Actually, one of the Deathwatch supplements makes it clear that Blood Angels geneseed is one of the most commonly used. There's a table to roll on for choosing the geneseed of a DIY chapter, and BA have a better chance of being rolled than anybody save Ultramarines and I think Imperial Fists - I'd have to glance at it again to be sure.

It's also worth noting that the list of successors presented in the BA book is probably not all-inclusive; those are known successors.

Edit: I was wrong. Here's the table:

Ultramarines: 1-50

Blood Angels: 51-65

Dark Angels: 66-80

Imperial Fists: 81-85

White Scars: 86-90

Raven Guard: 91-94

Iron Hands: 95-98

Space Wolves: 99

Salamanders: 100

Take it for what it's worth. Several things about it seem questionable to me, but as a rough guide, I think it works.

I'd say first pick what theme you want your army to be styled on, be it fast attack/mobile firebase (BA), Termies or all bikes (DA), A well-rounded but melee-focused force (SW), A zealot melee force (BT) or just a general group which would be the standard codex.

Then you can go from there which chapter you'd link a heritage to.

I think the idea of bloodwolfs is really cool!

Add the wolf helmet and some power claws and bam!

However, I am kind of partial to bloodravens, but I would certainly paint them different and scrap there fluff.

So yeah, scrap everything and just keep the boss name. lol

I'm pretty sure they stopped using BA geneseed after a few foundings.

They still used them for a while, actually. The flaw was kept very well hidden for a long, long time.

However, since it has become more apparent that something is... wrong... with the BA and successors, they are using the gene-seed less.

Also, as to the successors question, the codex states that that is by no means a comprehensive list of the BA successors, just the most known about and the oldest.

Considering the reference to them come from C:SM it seems likely they are not BA...BUT neither were Lamenters or Blood Knights before...do what you feel is right. You can even make the assertion that a genetic modification similar to the Canis helix was introduced into the population of bloodfall creating BAs that have SW like traits. And badoink there's your Blood Wolves.

LoL I go to bed everyone comments - cool

Thanks AustonT - But, I was not planning use any SW Traits, I was going to keep it BA - just steal the name. As a old CSM player I like the BA story line, I might use some SW bits to spice up the figs. ^_^

Time for a little history

History

Shadeblight

In 750.M41 the Red Wolves fought Chaos Space Marines of the Night Lords Legion in the Ango sub-sector. Although they stood alone, the Red Wolves were able to prevent the Night Lords capturing the possessed cruiser Shadeblight.

Fourth Quadrant Rebellion

The Chapter deployed in full strength during the Fourth Quadrant Rebellion, playing a crucial role in crushing the insurrection

So they have been around for a while it looks like

Well I am going work on the idea a little today at work - It just (IMO) just seems to fit, I read through my IA9, and try to learn more. :rolleyes:

But the little that I have found makes me feel that they could be BA, and no I NOT talking about combing SW and BA.

When GW introduces a Space Marine Codex(of whatever Chapter), the depicted Chapter's successors were listed in there, based on the publications GW made in the past. Of the Red Wolves I've never heard of(I don't own any of the books where they were mentioned) but if they have been mentioned in C:SM, it is probably a sign for them being a pure Codex-adherent chapter without the changes made due to the Flaw.

What also points against a BA-geneseed involvement is their name. Red Wolves. BA successors have never used animal symbolic in their names or iconography but most of the time referred to their Primarch and to the Bloodbound or in some cases their bloodlust.

You might be better of using the SW codex really, to make it fit to the name. On the other hand, you vould change the 'wolves' part and replace it with something less...feral. Another trait of the Blood Angels(and most of their successors) is their appreciation for art and skill. SKill not only in battle, but also in

the smithies of our artificers, decoration of their armour and probably even reciting litanies while drinking a cup of blood-tea. :)

To be honest, you DIY chapter 'Eternity's Angels' sounds much better to me than Red Wolves.

Snorri

When GW introduces a Space Marine Codex(of whatever Chapter), the depicted Chapter's successors were listed in there, based on the publications GW made in the past. Of the Red Wolves I've never heard of(I don't own any of the books where they were mentioned) but if they have been mentioned in C:SM, it is probably a sign for them being a pure Codex-adherent chapter without the changes made due to the Flaw.

What also points against a BA-geneseed involvement is their name. Red Wolves. BA successors have never used animal symbolic in their names or iconography but most of the time referred to their Primarch and to the Bloodbound or in some cases their bloodlust.

You might be better of using the SW codex really, to make it fit to the name. On the other hand, you vould change the 'wolves' part and replace it with something less...feral. Another trait of the Blood Angels(and most of their successors) is their appreciation for art and skill. SKill not only in battle, but also in

the smithies of our artificers, decoration of their armour and probably even reciting litanies while drinking a cup of blood-tea. :P

To be honest, you DIY chapter 'Eternity's Angels' sounds much better to me than Red Wolves.

Snorri

Hey Snorri, after did a lot of reading I think you are right.

SO next thing I will do is post Eternity's Angels on DIY thanks for you help.

B)

Archived