First Assault squad

kriller

Hi there!

This is my first post in this forum, because i have finally decided to run Blood angels as my first 40K team. I have played fantasy alot of years before. First thing i did was to buy the codex and a squad of the super cool Death company. I equped them well i think to bring some death on the battelfield. My idea of the army is to make it flying. So i will not be able to use tactical squad. So my "core" squads will be the assault ones. Because i dont have the roulbook yet i dont know everything about 40K yet, so i was wandering if you gays could give me some nice tips? In the first case how a good assault squad can be equped, but also in generall in a flying army?

A big thank you for help!

Kriller

Welcome to the Blood Angels and the B+C.

The standard assault squad armament is 10 marines, 2 meltaguns, powerfist or thunder hammer. Sometimes add on an infernus pistol for the sergeant as well.

For a jump heavy army, look in the Blood Angels army list threads. But in general you will want several assault squads, some priests (I prefer to arm my priests with lightning claw or power weapon) and then fill in with stuff like Sanguinary Guard, Vanguard and Honor Guard to fit your style/needs

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot for your help! Its very useful! The thing is, i cant find meltaguns in the assault squad pack. Can i use the meltacombo as a meltagun or has they different looks?

Im on my way to built my Commander too. I was thinking of power fist and Storm Bolter and of course jump pack. Is that a good choice?

Thanks alot for help!!!!

If i am running two or more assault squads i like to have them kitted for different purposes, generally one is anti infantry with two flamers, or one normal flamer one hand flamer sarge with power-weapon . the other will be two melta-guns and powerfist.

it depends on what you need them to do, or what the rest of your army lacks.

Thanks alot for your help! Its very useful! The thing is, i cant find meltaguns in the assault squad pack. Can i use the meltacombo as a meltagun or has they different looks?

One is a grenade and the other is a ranged gun.

Games workshop sells a 5-pack of meltaguns. If you have any arms made for bolter marines these are the easiest to use.

Im on my way to built my Commander too. I was thinking of power fist and Storm Bolter and of course jump pack. Is that a good choice?
You are talking about the captain right? the Captain generally is regarded as a sub par HQ choice. You further sell him short by removing his I5 with the power fist (it always strikes at I1). If you want to keep the captain, replace the power fist with a lightning claw and maybe even the storm bolter with another lightning claw. 3(4) WS6 I5 that ignore armor and reroll to wound shopuld make minced meat of most infantry in CC. If the captain is near a Sanguinary Priest, he becomes even more killy on the charge.

Other good options for a jumpy army would be:

-Librarian: cheap, psychic powers, hood.

-Reclusiarch: makes a unit a real meatgrinder

-Dante: Better DoA for his squad, Sanguinary guard as troops

-Astorath: same as Reclusiarch, better Red Thirst

As quixus commented, Captains are substandard compared to other hq choices.

Reqlusiarchs and Librarians are good choices both for generic leaders.

If you are dead set on a captain, the most used loadouts include one or two lightning claws to mete out as much high initiative death as possible.

Hi and thanks alot again! I like the forum already. I understand from what you say that the comissar ( i played High Elves yesterday so commander was what came to my mind) is not the best HQ. I will try it as long as i learn to play 40K, but then i will listen to what you said.

I will try one claw and one Ipistol, to try both CC and shooting!. Again, thank you!

Kriller

Any chaplain model will do for the Reclusiarch. Personally I use the new Lemartes model for a Reclusiarch.
Is Lemartes still metal? Another reason not to use the Chaplain with Jump Pack, which isn't even on the HQ or elites section of GW's Blood Angels section for some reason.

@krilller: commissars in Blood Angels, what are you talking about? If you are talking about the Imperial guard there are actually several models available.

Things to buy: Death co squad, sang guard, command squad, captian, razorbacks

Things not to buy: tactical squads, assault squad, rhinos

Reasons: death co boxes come with every thing you need to make 5 assault, tactical, and even some special chars. sang guard, command squad, and captian boxes give you every thing else you need; extra PWs, fists, lightning claws, extra guns and all the parts you need to make sang priests. Razorbacks come with everything you need to make a rhino and the extra turret with costs and extra $2.

If you want some ideas on kitbashing the special chars check out my painting thread in my sig

good luck and welcome

I bought some Death CO boxes which will make either great looking TSQ (Tactical) or great A (Assualt) SQ. I bout some Sang Guard box to make HQ and charaters with. I will by a box of Command Sq because of the extra bits for a Priest or Champ. If you are playing BA, nothing is better than having your army look like it. The DC (Death Company) box is great, glue the models, paint them red and bam regulare BA. Paint them black and they are thristy for blood!! Welcome to BA you will never leave.

Thank you again for the good help. If i want to try to kit an Reclusiarch, which weapons and so on is the best? As i said i will for sure use jump pack, but what else to make him as useable as possible?

Thank you!

Kriller

The issue with using only death company boxes is that you get units with the 'x's all over their armor which is only on death company units. Sure you can paint over them but they're still there. What you may consider is using that new liquid greenstuff to fill in the 'x's.

The issue with using only death company boxes is that you get units with the 'x's all over their armor which is only on death company units. Sure you can paint over them but they're still there. What you may consider is using that new liquid greenstuff to fill in the 'x's.
Of the 20 shoulder guards for 5 marines 14 do not have an X or crossed bones, that should be enough variety. The smaller Xs on the gauntlets can probably be ignored or painted over.

Using only that box however would make overly decorated RAS/TAC IMHO. Now Vanguard or Sternguard Veterans is a different story.

Archived