Dark Angel scouts

Spacefrisian

Not really I'd guess, the better stats do not outweigh the nr1 disadvantage, namely not scoring.

Apart from that they buy sniper rifles and have no stealth via camo cloaks...

Sadly all that does not cost a low enough ammount of points to be viable in a list. So only a very select bunch of people would love scouts enough and love DA enough to just use these for a serious list. ( I could see some uses in Blood angels and normal marine lists, whre you'd combine scoring and stealt with a missile launcher and snipers who sit backfield and score/annoy. :)

Usually people have better ways to fill their Elite slots is what I'd guess

• 2 weeks later...
They don't have camo cloaks?

Yup. Along with Thunder Fire Cannons, Land Raider Redeemers, Conversion Beamers, Digital weapons, cheap Techmarines, and free Flamers/Missile Launchers, this is one of those things the Dark Angels don't have because they possess a higher level of technology.

Or something. I'm sure there was a valid explanation somewhere.

That said though, we do still have a few nice things we can flaunt in other PA player's faces. Like Board-wide Ld.10 and cheapy Cyclone Launchers.

They don't have camo cloaks?

Yup. Along with Thunder Fire Cannons, Land Raider Redeemers, Conversion Beamers, Digital weapons, cheap Techmarines, and free Flamers/Missile Launchers, this is one of those things the Dark Angels don't have because they possess a higher level of technology.

Or something. I'm sure there was a valid explanation somewhere.

It is called having a codex from a previous edition, which uses a different format for points costs and has different units/options.

It is called having a codex from a previous edition, which uses a different format for points costs and has different units/options.

I know. I use a little thing called sarcasm. :ph34r:

But I'm sure there was an 'explanation' somewhere supposedly given as to why DA can't use them, Fluff-wise.

I believe it was because they had their own equipment manufacturing facilities and so didn't get the same stuff for the same prices?

OH, so that means we can build wargear even better that the rest of the SM armies.

Haha, no. For GW that means we're separate from the bounties of the omnissiah and therefore get shoddy, overpriced replicas. :)

http://www.thedarkfortress.co.uk/tech_reports/da_5th_sm2.htm -> First quote in the article.

I personally use them. 9 scouts with bolt pistols and combat blades and a sergent with a bolt pistol and a power sword outflanking can cause all sorts of havoc in close combat. I've used them to great effect.

I would equip the sergeant with a powerfist, as the unit can then deal with pretty much anything. They are also then a super serious threat to most things, meaning that the unit will draw serious fire, and usually to the extent that they are wiped out(as nobody want to leave that sergeant with powerfist alive to run amok in their backfield). This of course draws fire away form other portions of your army. You always want to have multiple serious threats in your army so as to force your opponent to have tough choices to make in how they deal with your army.

I personally use them. 9 scouts with bolt pistols and combat blades and a sergent with a bolt pistol and a power sword outflanking can cause all sorts of havoc in close combat. I've used them to great effect.

Would you recommend the power sword over a power fist?

I personally use the powersword over the power fist as most players don't see it as a huge threat and they only draw a small amout of fire. I have found that scouts have won a game for me many times and i put this down to the lower threat the powersword generates over a power fist.

I say either/or can work: it mainly depends on your list. I use a powerfist in my scouts, as well as my assault marines, b/c all of my tactical marines use power swords. Units that are more assault oriented get the fists just in case they run up against a nasty dreadnought, trygon, etc.. I would also highly recommend going half with pistols, half with shotguns. It allows you to take more advantage of our BS being 4 on those turns where you are just a couple of inches away from getting a charge off. And Strangely enough, in my experience, they still get ignored 95% of the time.

One game in particular comes to my mind, I had infiltrated a group of 10: half shotty half CCW in the second floor of a ruined building. My opponent was a tyranid player. He literally sent wave after wave of stuff passed the building, completely ignoring the scouts to try and get to my heavy weapon toting tactical and devastator marines in the back of my deployment zone. That scout squad managed to kill 40-50 gaunts over the course of the game, never taking any return fire, and never making it into close combat. ;)

Archived