Calibanites or Terrans?

Champion Cliesthenes

Do both. Have all the Terrans looking slightly to the left, all the Calibanites looking slightly to the right, and set them up on the battlefield like they're keeping an untrusting eye on each other during the fight...

Well, they kinda did, didn't they? In Gav Thorpe's Call of the Lion short story in the Tales of Heresy book, the Calibanites wore a forest green plate (same shoulder as the Legion heraldry, I want to say), and also wore the heraldry of whichever order they were recruited from. I want to say the Terrans had some traditions of their own too (braided hair, i think?). This is all from memory though, and it's late here. I'll reconfirm later

If anything, just make the Calibanites more 'Knightly' (robes, long swords, etc) With Mk. IV and above plate, and the Terrans more plain, with Mk. III and below (Spatha's, kill marks, etc).

It could work...

*snip*.

EDIT: it seems you are right and I'm wrong! Belath says Calibanite warriors so I guess you have a point. :blush:

Although I feel that the "Winged Talon" was allowed to Belath only because of his rank... In any case the fact that Astelan was surprised means two things: 1) he did not have Calibanites under his command and 2) the distinction was introduced at a later point in the Crusade (i.e. not from the start) or else Astelan would be aware. Now whether mixed forces existed, I think the answer in Fallen Angels where Kohl and Nemiel fight together no problem.

K, so looking at Call of the Lion...

'What's that?' Astelan asked, pointing to a heraldic symbol on Belath's right shoulder plate, where normally a Space Marine's organisational and rank markings would be painted. It was decorated with a quartered shield, white and blue, emblazoned with a sword held in the grip of a taloned foot.

'That is the symbol of my order,' replied Belath, somewhat taken aback. 'The Order of the Raven's Wing.'

Astelan turned an inquiring look to Galedan.

'One of the knightly orders,' the captain said. 'A Calibanite rank badge.'

'And that?' said Astelan, redirecting his accusing finger to Belath's other shoulder pad, which was painted a dark green beneath the Dark Angels symbol.

'The glorious Lion El'Jonson has decreed that Calibanite warriors are to wear the green of our home world's forests,' said Belath with no small hint of defiance. 'It is to act as a rememberance of the battles fought to tame Caliban under the leadership of the Lion.'

EDIT: AAACCCK! Ninja'd by you...about me...ummm... :blush:

Edit numero dos: Yeah, no arguement about the later timeframe for both the green plate and the Heraldic shield. Still, it would make for a fun army that would look both 'together' and 'apart', know what I mean?

So all you have to do is paint one shoulder guard field DA green the rest remain black to donate terran. Seem's funny the lion would even care about thing's like that the order would fit coming better from luthor then the stoic and cold lion.

Off topic anyone else sick of the lack of trust between terran and insert homeworld marine's in the HH books?

the Call of the Lion takes place rather soon after finding Caliban. The whole reason Astelan is stuck with Belath is because El'Johnson wants Belath to know what command is like before sending him on his own. Well thats just my opinion anyways.

Actually what I got from the story was that this was Astellan's take in the beginning. Given what we know happened to Astellan eventually, my understanding was that Belath was send to watch Astellan and report back. When Astellan tries to patronize Belath instead of a willing student he finds a hard core indoctrinated and hauty rival. Certainly not a student. Anyway this is my take. Astellan was "evaluated" by the Lion through Belath.

Off topic anyone else sick of the lack of trust between terran and insert homeworld marine's in the HH books?

:) it's true isn't it? Although understandable I guess... Anyway I agree it is overplayed - even with DAs.

I agree, do both. Here is some great inspiration:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252687

Later in the thread, you'll find that he distinguishes Terran from Calibanite by leaving the Terran unrobed (which does makes sense). He mixed the squads though. When painted, the Terrans also do not get a green with checkered right shoulder pad and simply retain black (though I'm not sure if that is only some of the Calibanites that do). Page 6 and 7 depicts this delineation quite nicely.

Archived