Vetern Sgt Imperial fists

ironbear

Anytime that I see this colour scheme painted and executed well, I want that brother to definitely go for it.

He looks great and I think that if you're willing to put in the time and the effort that looks like that's gone into it then it'll be a worthy endeavor.

Cheers.

I play Imperial Fists & I think you should. Just know it's a SERIOUS undertaking to build an army of them, more so than almost any other army aside from maybe White Scars as it gets VERY tedious to yellow & do it well AGAIN & AGAIN. I'll be honest, I've got 2 drop pods that need to be built & painted as well as 5 sternguard, 10 scouts & a TON of marines that need to be detailed that I just... can't bring myself to pick up again after painting yellow on 4000 pts already & going to all the headache to make it not look chalky. It's very rewarding on the table top, I'm told everytime I field them that they look very striking but it's up to you whether it's worth it. A couple minis is not a big deal, a whole army is.

I play Imperial Fists & I think you should. Just know it's a SERIOUS undertaking to build an army of them, more so than almost any other army aside from maybe White Scars as it gets VERY tedious to yellow & do it well AGAIN & AGAIN. I'll be honest, I've got 2 drop pods that need to be built & painted as well as 5 sternguard, 10 scouts & a TON of marines that need to be detailed that I just... can't bring myself to pick up again after painting yellow on 4000 pts already & going to all the headache to make it not look chalky. It's very rewarding on the table top, I'm told everytime I field them that they look very striking but it's up to you whether it's worth it. A couple minis is not a big deal, a whole army is.

I would 2nd this as well, I have built about 2/3's of the IF 5th company so for, much of it is painted. Before I started getting into painting it I worked for quite a while trying to figure out what yellow recipe I wanted. I finally settled on 2 different ones, the results are almost identical, but the processes are different, which helps me avoid burnout. I would STRONGLY recommend writing your recipe down so that you dont deviate to much from it, I think a little color variation from model to model is a good thing as it adds some realism, but there is very little wiggle room on yellow.

Basically the 2 recipies I use are one for my troops and one for vehicles, though I will often mix them to get variety. I have found that using oil paints, specifically Windsor and Newton Cadmium Yellow, provides excellent coverage and is very easy to work with and I can get a 10 man squad base coated and weathered in about an hour or so, add on the detailing and basing and I finish a squad in 3 hours, I would strongly recommend looking into oils....

One last thing, as great as your mini looks, you do realize that the paint job is not kosher right? IF sergeants have yellow helmets with a red strip, or a red skull, and I think the vets it is a white stripe with a red skull, I would have to look it up to be sure. I paint my helmets like you have shown, but I just thought I would let you know.

Ashton

Archived