Insane Question

Gulag

Hi guys. Gulag here. As usual I've got an odd question.

The answer is probably painfully obvious but I'm gonna go for it.

Is it possible to have an SM Captain or Chapter Master with a jump pack, a power weapon, and a storm shield?

I dont see why not...

Check your codex.

I did check my codex and thats where the idea came from - what I'm looking for is if someone/anyone knows of a reason or rule to make this idea a bad one...

because if he's got a jump pack, storm shield and thunder hammer, iron hale, adamantine mantle, artificer armor....he's practically a flying terminator and while that idea is super cool, it might be a little broken or against the rules. Or simply tactically bad.

Where are you getting the adamantine mantle from? That's 4th ed. rules. And yes, that probably isn't the greatest of choices. It's incredibly expensive for a 3 wound model, who can't go with anything other than a Vanguard or Assault squad if he wants to take advantage of his movement.

It's not broken or against the rules, since it's only one model, you're limited to maximum 2 of them in an army and they're kinda expensive. That model would come in at 185 pts, so it's a bit on an investment since you can get a fully equipped Tactical squad for the same price. Sounds like a pretty sick model though, friend.

I dont see why not...

Check your codex.

I did check my codex and thats where the idea came from - what I'm looking for is if someone/anyone knows of a reason or rule to make this idea a bad one...

because if he's got a jump pack, storm shield and thunder hammer, iron hale, adamantine mantle, artificer armor....he's practically a flying terminator and while that idea is super cool, it might be a little broken or against the rules. Or simply tactically bad.

Ah, your looking for "Tactics". So well move this to the tactics forum.

I dont see why not...

Check your codex.

Ah, your looking for "Tactics". So well move this to the tactics forum.

Oh, well thank you. I was not sure if it was a matter of rules or tactics.

Where are you getting the adamantine mantle from? That's 4th ed. rules. And yes, that probably isn't the greatest of choices. It's incredibly expensive for a 3 wound model, who can't go with anything other than a Vanguard or Assault squad if he wants to take advantage of his movement.

Thats 4th ed.? I thought I had the newest SM 'dex...

So, its probably not the greatest choice - how would I go about either making it more versatile?

It's not broken or against the rules, since it's only one model, you're limited to maximum 2 of them in an army

That is good to know. So it is possible to field without finding out that it is actually against the rules.

and they're kinda expensive. That model would come in at 185 pts, so it's a bit on an investment since you can get a fully equipped Tactical squad for the same price.

That is what I noticed, but would it be useful enough to replace a tac squad?

Sounds like a pretty sick model though, friend.

Oh yes. I'm going to have to get a more experienced modeler/painter to help me do it justice.

If it's tactics he wants then I'll say this, take the Captain because Honour Guard don't get jump packs (neither do Command squads but the reason to take a CM is to get HG). Give said Captain a relic blade, digi weapons, storm shield, arty armour and a jump pack, comes to 195pts. Lots of points I know but mobile, durable and hits out hard with his 3/4 As. Then stick him either an Assault squad if you're on a budget or a tooled up jump Vanguard squad, deploy them on foot, run them behind terrain, vehicles etc and pounce them onto any weak looking infantry unit.

Competitive? Not especially, it costs a lot of points for a unit that can still be gunned down by boltguns, and the Captain can still be insta-killed. Fun? You bet!

EDIT: as for his use vs a Tactical squad, it depends on the use. He'll rock in combat, but suck in shooting, which is sort of the opposite of a tactical squad. He'll hopefully soak up some firepower, but also is one man with not many attacks, so will need support when getting stuck in against hordes. And he can't score, which Tactical squads can. So I'd say it depends on the amount of Tactical squads in your army, plus the rest of your army as well.

Here are my thoughts:

Captain with a Jump Pack is fine, provided he's got a posse with jump packs to hop around with him...be it a tooled up Command Squad or a modest Assault Team.

Captain has no need for a Storm Shield; he's already got a 4++ built-in. Give him artificier armor and an offhand weapon/pistol to really take advantage of that power weapon.

Captain in the vanilla dex can take a Relic Blade, so definitely consider doing so. S6 I6 is a good time. If you do this, the offhand weapon/pistol loses some value and the storm shield is no longer completely kooky. (It's still a lil bit kooky.)

Ermm thade, Captains are I5 :P

But your points about the power weapon are true, in that case it's often better to pair it with a pistol for the extra attack. A 4+ invulnerable save is better than some people make out, of course I still don't find it completely reliable, it's ok, decent, but it's not solid, unlike the storm shield. Of course, I only mentioned the storm shield originally because the fact that a Captain can take a power sword completely slipped my mind, all I can think about is that lovely relic blade. But I suppose it can take a power... thingy :).

Of course, I imagine a dual LC Captain with I6 and S5 on the charge is something else that's quite cool, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

See what a lot of people forget is that a HQ is at least 100 points and thats before you even give them any upgrades to make them fighting fit....heck special characters cost almost twice this anyway.

The only HQ thats reasonable at 100 points is a librarian!

A captain is a pretty nice character, hes best in melee and so your choices are generally good:

A jet pack gets him there fast...the downside to this over a transport is that he can be shot en route....of course theres no other way of slowing him down!

A relic blade is an excellent addition for him as many others will testify because it is dangerous against a wide range of foes and lets the captain hit hard against tougher opponents, a power sword is an ok weapon, but it seems underwhelming in comparison to his other options!

A storm shield is helpful to help him take the hits his armour can't (whether it be artificer or regular) as some attacks ignore armour saves and although you probably won't throw your captain into a unit that can kill him that easily it can help......personally I don't think its THAT neccessary, but it has its benefits

Artificer armour makes him termintor tough which is what everyone wants :)

The downsides to this captain are really that he lacks ranged punch, hes not going to do much until he gets into a fight. He'll have to have an accompanying unit (as any captain would) to prevent him getting bogged down, even a regular assault squad to give him some mass would be a reasonable fighting unit...but if you start getting vanguard to make his unit more deadly...well it gets expensive fast upgrades pending! Plus his cost himself is comparable to other special characters which not only have decent wargear, but also some flashy rules....

So overall hes a decent captain, not broken or over the top, but you'll have to play to his strengths to get the most out of him

Ermm thade, Captains are I5 :)

Oh, yes. Of course. Sorry, I'm use to my way-more-awesome Captains who are I6 when they charge under the watch of their apothecaries. :P Doesn't apply here though, as you point out.

Of course, I imagine a dual LC Captain with I6 and S5 on the charge is something else that's quite cool, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

This is precisely how I run my captain and he's quite the beast for it.

It's not terrible to take a storm shield on a captain...and indeed, it does look cool. If you do, definitely consider taking a Relic Blade over a Power Sword: you won't get the extra attack anyway, so you may as well hit at S6.

Archived