Lysander wip

Redfinger

This is my Lysander for my IF army. I was not happy with the normal pose of his arms, I felt it was a little to "squished", so I used some pins and putty to reposition both arms. I really wanted a "winding up for the strike" pose, and as his body was already in great position I just needed to reposition the arms.

Also, I decided I did not want to go with a red cape, though I did go with red trim, I wanted a 3rd color to balance everything out and that is why I went with blue, I will probably be adding some white trim on the cape before I am done. In addition the shield will be white as well, w/ a red eagle and green laurels.

So what do you think keep the blue, or switch to red?

IMG_5925.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

Ashton

hmm.....never thought of black, not really part of the pallet I was working with, I think though that it might come across as a little mono-chromatic, whereas I was looking for more of a vibrant scheme...The blue I have is just the base coat, I have not highlighted or shaded it yet, so I can definitely take it down to a darker blue, also, instead of trimming the cape in white I could do black, that would also create a nice play between light and dark colors too. thanks for the suggestions guys!

Ashton

Dark blues or purples go really well with yellow by color theory.

Personally, with my IF army, I'm going to stay away from red as much as I can(no red shoulder trim or chest eagles) for fear of the dreaded Ronald McDonald marine look, so I would stay with the blue, but maybe darken the color some.

Dark blues or purples go really well with yellow by color theory.

Personally, with my IF army, I'm going to stay away from red as much as I can(no red shoulder trim or chest eagles) for fear of the dreaded Ronald McDonald marine look, so I would stay with the blue, but maybe darken the color some.

Yeah I took a look at my color wheel and I think I am going to shade the blue with dark pruples, that will deepen the color and richen the pallet.

As far as how you are painting your IF's yeah, I understand that, there is not a lot of red in my army either, I am doing the 5th comapany, so black trim, however I am still keeping the chest eagles red. What I am worried abou though, as far as the McDonald look...is the non-company vehicles, like predators, speeders, and landraiders, adding red trim to this can make the vehicles look very much like the red clown :P

Ashton

I love how you painted the face, would you mind sharing your recipe?

Actually it is just Vallejo Basic Skin Tone with 2 Ogryn Flesh Washes, I still need to sahde and highlight more, but my shades will be done with more Ogryn Flesh and maybe Devlan Mud, and the highlights will be Basic Skin Tone and Vallejo Ivory. I use the GW washes quite a bit to blend with with, and I suppose that is what makes this face look good is that I wet blended the washes. Once I put the wash where I wanted it, I took the brush and wiped it once or twice on a damp paper towel, this takes off most of the wash left in the brush, and dampens the brush. Then I take the edge of where the wash stops, and just blend it into the base model color.

Here are a couple of more pictures with the shield, I also added s GK shield over the joint of his right arm, some one mentioned it looked a little off, and since then it has started to bother me, the shield is not permanent, but I will let it sit for a while until I decide I like it or not. In the picture you can kind of tell the blue is getting darker and more purple, I am taking my time on it so I think it will take a few more coats.

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5929.JPG

Ashton

I love how you painted the face, would you mind sharing your recipe?

Actually it is just Vallejo Basic Skin Tone with 2 Ogryn Flesh Washes, I still need to sahde and highlight more, but my shades will be done with more Ogryn Flesh and maybe Devlan Mud, and the highlights will be Basic Skin Tone and Vallejo Ivory. I use the GW washes quite a bit to blend with with, and I suppose that is what makes this face look good is that I wet blended the washes. Once I put the wash where I wanted it, I took the brush and wiped it once or twice on a damp paper towel, this takes off most of the wash left in the brush, and dampens the brush. Then I take the edge of where the wash stops, and just blend it into the base model color.

Thank you!

So more work done over all, I liked the idea about purple, I have a little more highlighting to do before I call the purple done, and I think I will add some white trim on the cape as well. I decided tokind of stay with blue as the I am using a blue color to do the highlighting and shading on the purple, I am digging the effect. I have also made progress on some other areas as well, the face is about done as is most of the shading on the armor, I need to start working some of the highlights now.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys and please continue to leave feedback!

IMG_5930.JPG

IMG_5933.JPG

IMG_5934.JPG

IMG_5935.JPG

Ashton

Woo looks like purple satin. Very slinky (and very nicely rendered indeed).

Some might say it's a wee bit indulgent for the famously spartan Adeptus Astartes, but stuff them. He a first captain of a first founding chapter. He can wear whatever the hell he wants.

@ Alex-- I always believed that company captains are allowed a bit of freedom on their heraldry, but thanks for the feedback nonetheless, I have Lysander sitting on my desk right now and I have been trying to decide if I want to push that highlight a little further,and possibly loosing the satin look you noted, or leave it as is.

@Duncs--Lysander has a lot to be angry about, a few thousand years in the warp will do that to you.

@James and Night--I think you guys were the first to suggest the purple, thanks for the tip!

Ashton

Archived