drop pods and cover

Yotakka

Is it possible to give a full 10 man tac squad deploying out of a drop pod cover by lining them up in a perfect circle arround the drop pod?

This would put half the squad behind it no matter what direction the shot wer comming from. and i believe that would grant them a 4+ cover would it not? this is atleast the way my buddies and i play it. what do you guys think? Thanks in advance :)

TLoS, so if your opponent cannot see more than half the squad behind the Drop Pod then yeah, I see no reason as to why they can't get a cover save from it. Bear in mind that you have to stay in unit coherency, which will make it harder to maintain when you start taking casualties. Personally I don't see what's wrong in dropping next to a nice copse of trees and running into them...

Doesn't the TLoS point come around to the "Model the Drop Pod with the doors shut, and Ta-Daa!" argument? It is not something I advocate (though...given that I don't have hinging Rhino side-doors, such a stance may be hypocritical as most play it as the Rhino blocks TLoS through itself), but it is something I've seen come up, both in forums and on the gaming table.

this should probably be in the -OR- forum

Doesn't the TLoS point come around to the "Model the Drop Pod with the doors shut, and Ta-Daa!" argument? It is not something I advocate (though...given that I don't have hinging Rhino side-doors, such a stance may be hypocritical as most play it as the Rhino blocks TLoS through itself), but it is something I've seen come up, both in forums and on the gaming table.

according to the codex

"once the drop pod has landed, the hatches are blown and all passengers must immediately disembark, as normal. Once passengers have disembarked, no models can embark on the drop pod for the remainder of the game"

if the rules say the hacthes have to be blown (i.e doors opened) then thats the rules, if someone glues his doors shut, then hes modelling for advantage and is being a douche. I have friends who have poorly made pods which have doors glued, but we just act as if we can see through the doors.

by far the worst argument is that of "my drop pod hatches/fins/doors grant cover to my dismebarked troops" but thats not true since a model cant bring cover with it, hatches come under the heading of decorative items and as such are ignored for purposes of movement and TLOS.

at my last games club a friend of mine was winning the league with slaanesh daemons, in the last game he faced a space wolves player with a drop pod list, he claimed the hatches were part of the hull and lined the drop pods up to create a 'barrier'. this way the daemons couldnt come within an inch of the 'fins' and couldnt assault the wolves until the pods were killed.. his army was shot to death.

he called the league organiser who upheld the SW players ruling, and he lost the game and the league..

what was interesting was the space wolf player put his models on the hatches, which he wouldnt have been allowed had they been part of the hull..

the moral of the story?

some people will interpret every rule possible in order to gain advantage, so make sure you know the rules and now them well.

my own adversions torules interpeting aside, i really like the B&C -OR- forum as it allows us to dissect these rules interpretations and know how to argue them when it matters

the way i play it and have read on a few faq's is that the doors once blown are not part of the vechicle(so you cant block of a huge patch of the field from enemy vechicles) but the base, fins, and top(engine) are the hull.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to kick this off into a Rules debate.

I meant more that yes, using the Pod to cover half the squad could work (and would work rules-wise) but you may run into a little speed bump in True Line of Sight - either in terms of arguments, or in terms of the models still being visible.

if any part of the model is obscured, the model is in cover. If half the models are in cover, the squad is in cover. It is intentionally generous to Infantry.

So yes, easily possible, even moreso if there's any terrain about at all.

Archived