The Iron Gods return!

Lysimachus

Hello all! Well, it was my plan to give the infamous Iron Gods a bit of a break so I could do something a bit different. However, as we all know the ‘new release’ of the Sisters of Battle wasn’t everything we might have hoped for, specifically NO PLASTIC SISTERS!!! :P

Therefore, I found myself wondering what to do with my ‘hobby’ time and a vague idea I’d had about Talek Varn’s growing band of pirates kept coming back to me. While most of the units in C: SW were quite easily transferred to counts-as Iron Gods, one unit was a bit of an issue (don’t panic, I’m not planning to use giant parrot riding renegades as counts-as Thunderwolves :) ) and that was the Blood/Sky/Swift Claws. Obviously, as Talek Varn recruits his forces from renegades, the idea of youthful, less experienced troops doesn’t make much sense.

However, I think I’ve figured out a way for it to work. Following on from some hints left in the Iron Gods IT article, I wrote this short piece of fluff:

The first voice was weak, reedy and full of bitterness and spite.

“I warned you of this, my Lord,” it hissed disrespectfully. “Without more time, more careful study, both of our goals will surely die, crushed like a ratling beneath a titan’s foot.”

The voice that replied was cold and quiet, yet still full of authority and pride.

“Calm yourself, Magos, and explain. Your previous reports suggested that all was proceeding according to plan?”

“Yes, yes, yes,” the first voice responded in irritation. “Implantation was nearly 39% effective, a testament to my superior skills in genetic manipulation. However, acclimatization and indoctrination have thus far proved utterly unsatisfactory. I would estimate that of the 80 test subjects, only 3 of those successfully implanted will be found capable of deployment. The other 28 are mindless animals, stupid beyond belief, unable to master the simplest tactical dogma and motivated only by uncontrolled savagery and berserk rage.”

There was a pause as the second speaker considered this.

“Unfortunate. Nevertheless Magos, I am confident in your ability to resolve these… issues.” The implied threat in these words was palpable, but the second voice then continued as though this was nothing unusual.

“Fear not, Octavius, your work has been most impressive. In any case, all is not lost. Even mindless stupidity and berserk rage have their place in the arsenals of war.”

The first voice also paused, somewhat mollified.

“Perhaps,” it finally continued. “However, without the proper equipment, they are all nothing more than meat sacks and bullet shields, sane or otherwise; and our Armoury is not sufficiently well stocked to provide for them. My forges can perform basic repairs, but full scale production is far beyond our current capabilities. You must…”

“I am well aware of what I must do, Magos,” the second voice interrupted in a firm tone that brooked no further argument. “Care for your own responsibilities and I shall care for mine. Brother Ghoran should return with the new ‘batch’ of recruits within the next few days, I look forward to hearing how you have solved your problem soon.”

So, the idea is that Talek Varn has started creating his own Space Marines… and that it’s not going quite as well as he was hoping so far. The first batches, although successfully implanted, are psychotic, uncontrollable monsters who barely know one end of a Bolt Pistol from the other. Voila! Blood claws! ;)

Anyway, enough fluff for a second. Here is the first WIP pic of a small squad of c-as Sky Claws, lots of building Jump Packs and GS work still to do:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/simoncherylm/SN853454.jpg

The idea is that these savage but brainless troops are viewed by their commander as expendable, and are poorly equipped with badly made (hence all the Heresy-style bolts) or incomplete armour and mostly carrying very crude weaponry.

Anyway, here’s where I need people’s advice. As far as colours go, I’d like to do something a bit different from the standard IG grey. I’m a bit bored of it, plus I’d like to do them in something a bit brighter as from a fluff view point I think Talek Varn would want them to stand out – primarily so the enemy shoots at them and not at the main troops that are sneaking up behind them!

I was thinking of using the accent red from the rest of the IG as the main colour, somewhat like this mini:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/simoncherylm/Iron%20Gods/LS2-3.jpg

But I’d be interested in hearing what anyone thinks of that scheme, or any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Lysimachus

Red sounds like it would look good on them, particularly with the whole "distraction" angle, but maybe have secondary patterns? Maybe jagged black patterns, like normal Blood Claws' shoulder pad or something? Red marines are pretty common throughout the loyalists and the renegades, so something like that to make them more distinct.

I like your fluff. However mindless berserkers are probably incapable of piloting jump packs, and vehicles. That could be gotten around if you wanted to by claiming that some of the failures were due to a tainted implantation possible Tzeentch influence? If they're just renegade and not devolved into chaos worship you could hint at a flaw in the geneseed that makes them prone to reckless acts etc etc.

But I’d be interested in hearing what anyone thinks of that scheme, or any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Lysimachus

*Quickly puts on Heraldry Dept. Hat*

Red looks fine, although possibly restricting it to the torso and helmet:

sm.php?b62c=@hyvFn_hJ9Lc.hk8Yt@@@@___hsjzU_.__i8TzJi8TzJ__@@@@@@_@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@hCmX3._______@_@@@@.iakk7&grid=TRUEsm.php?b62c=@hyvFn_hJ9Lc.hk8Yt@@@@___hsjzU_.__i8TzJi8TzJ__@@@@@@_@@@_@_@@@@@@@@@@hCmX3._______@_@@@@.iakk7&grid=TRUE

Somehow the idea of making the head and body the brightest targets and seeing which ones survive to 'earn their iron' seems very Talek Varn. ;)

Sweet. The Iron Gods are back. And with awesome new models too.

Great work SCL, and cant wait to see more of them.

EDIT: Where did you ge the bead thingys for the studs for, as that is a look I am vainly trying to recreate and I cant find a good place to get them.

Thanks very much for all the comments guys, it’s great that people are still enthusiastic about this army! Sounds like everyone thinks the red will work then?

A few answers to more specific points:

@SP: They’re called micro beads, 1mm diameter, basically tiny marbles using for making jewellery, you can buy them on ebay, I got a bag full for a couple of £ including postage! There’s a tutorial (can’t remember who by) somewhere in the Librarium (or maybe the Tuts forum).

@Ace, RevTJ: Yep, I think red will be the prominent colour with random bits (either full plates or jagged patterns) of the grey in different places on each mini, basically the opposite of the standard IG scheme.

Also, Ace that’s a really cool idea, ‘earning their iron’. Pure genius! ^_^

@Mac: Mmm, I get what you mean. Maybe ‘mindless’ was the wrong word for me to use regarding these guys. It’s more that their indoctrination hasn’t worked quite right; the basic stuff of being able to shoot a pistol or interface with their armour is ok (I picture this as something which is known almost instinctively by a typical hypno-indoctrinated Astartes), but the higher tactical function of knowing when and how to apply those learned skills isn’t there, they have only rage. I’d agree that manning vehicles would be beyond them (I wouldn’t use Swift Claws for example) but I think operating a Jump Pack (at least the basics of charging/bouncing headlong at the enemy) is fairly simple.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's taken a ridiculous amount of time but finally an update! Finished building this squad with jump packs, beads and GS filling where necessary:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/simoncherylm/new.jpg

Now, to paint!

C+C welcome!

@Octavulg: Sincere apologies mate, I thought I'd already replied but I guess I hadn't. You have a valid point but I think there are a few balancing factors.

Firstly, a lot of the Iron Gods' time and resources would have gone into creating these new warriors, and Talek Varn needs them in order to continue his plans for expansion. The fact that these new recruits aren't quite right in the head doesn't seem like enough of a reason to stop someone like Varn from using them as best he can.

Secondly, the armour itself, much like the warriors within it, is something of a prototype, hence all the beads representing the lower quality 'bolted together' look, a la MK V.

Finally, I think the fact that many Chapters (in particular BA and their Successors) give costly PA to troops that are mentally less than 'optimum' but still useful for their combat abilities (DC) gives me some leeway to do a similar thing.

Archived