Test marine for my DIY army

Captain jOE

This is a test marine for the space marine army I've always wanted to do but have yet to start on ;) .

Let me know what you think!

P.S. all I did for photo editing was let windows live photo editor auto adjust things to get rid of the redness/yellowness. Articles that would show me how to take better pictues/better setup would be appreciated! :tu:

gallery_63249_6625_279896.jpg

gallery_63249_6625_92644.jpg

gallery_63249_6625_6751.jpg

gallery_63249_6625_10030.jpg

gallery_63249_6625_116614.jpg

WIP blog hopefully coming soon for those interested. ^_^

Very nice work there, good battle damage details and the glowing eyelenses really add to it. Interesting symbol too, what are they called? ^_^

Cambrius

Thanks for the compliments. :tu:

I'm calling them Grithan's Mercenaries (fictitious character of my own making). The army is roughly inspired/based on starcraft marines. EG these guys won't be real space marines, but catachan type humans in super armor (like even better than normal space marine armor). I'd like to bring this out in the scouts (I want to have a scout heavy army to emphasize the power and eliteness of the marines) and vehicle pilots. I'll really stray away from bionic parts and what not, and hopefully give them more of an individualistic feel with stuff like canteens, knives, and personalized armor and stuff.

Nice work, only crit I have is that isn't the Chapter Symbol on the wrong shoulder?

I'm just gonna quote myself to explain this :P .

I'm calling them Grithan's Mercenaries (fictitious character of my own making). The army is roughly inspired/based on starcraft marines. EG these guys won't be real space marines, but catachan type humans in super armor (like even better than normal space marine armor). I'd like to bring this out in the scouts (I want to have a scout heavy army to emphasize the power and eliteness of the marines) and vehicle pilots. I'll really stray away from bionic parts and what not, and hopefully give them more of an individualistic feel with stuff like canteens, knives, and personalized armor and stuff.

Basically, they are not space marines, and putting the army symbol on the opposite shoulder pad is another way to distinguish themselves from the imperium's finest.

@plasman: thanks for the compliments as well :D. Sadly though, my color scheme is kind of (ok, almost totally) ripped off from Starcraft 2 Terran when you are green as them ^_^ . But don't tell anyone. :P

@plasman: thanks for the compliments as well :). Sadly though, my color scheme is kind of (ok, almost totally) ripped off from Starcraft 2 Terran when you are green as them :P . But don't tell anyone. :)

No so original then, but quite nice anyway.

My ONLY nitpick is that I feel the right eye is brighter than the left eye. Looks exceptional otherwise :wallbash:

Are you going to add those little personal touches that SC Marines add to their armor? How well you painted the battle damage makes me think that you have the skill to do it :)

I think you are right on the eyes, I might have got more straight white in the right eye than the left. Oh well, he's just a test mini, hopefully I can tighten up that kind of stuff as I go. ;)

Are you refering to freehand stuff like promiscuous women and stuff? 'cause I might try my hand at that kind of stuff, but reserve it more for sargeants.

@ everyone: ideas on how to personalize my marines would be most appreciated. <_<

Yeah, WW2 nose art pinup type stuff, but mainly words. The snarky comments that SC Marines put on their gear are priceless ;)

EDIT: Here's an example: http://images.wikia.com/starcraft/images/4...indlayArmor.jpg

He doesn't have much, honestly SC1 marines had much more decoration going for them- fun mottos on their weapons, etc.

Yeah, WW2 nose art pinup type stuff, but mainly words.

I can try my hand at this stuff, but I'm a very bad freehand artist (like I can't draw, at all :( ). we'll see.

The snarky comments that SC Marines put on their gear are priceless ^_^

EDIT: Here's an example: http://images.wikia.com/starcraft/images/4...indlayArmor.jpg

He doesn't have much, honestly SC1 marines had much more decoration going for them- fun mottos on their weapons, etc.

Thanks :D ! That's awesome, I can definitely try some of that stuff.

BTW: I've bascoated and shaded about 5 guys so hopefully I'll have a whold tactical squad soonish. :)

When I do have them done I'll start a more offical thread.

I really like your scheme and think you have a good thing going here. Very top notch.

The only crit I have is with the eye glow. I did something similar with my marines and someone correctly pointed out that the eyebrow glow can't really happen because it is in the shadow of the light source.

I've included an example of my tacticals to show what I mean, not to hijack the thread.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Apocalypse%20Lords/Tacticals/DeathRainRun37012.jpg

Awesome work and I'm looking forward to seeing more of these guys in the future.

Cheers,

I really like your scheme and think you have a good thing going here. Very top notch.

The only crit I have is with the eye glow. I did something similar with my marines and someone correctly pointed out that the eyebrow glow can't really happen because it is in the shadow of the light source.

I've included an example of my tacticals to show what I mean, not to hijack the thread.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Apocalypse%20Lords/Tacticals/DeathRainRun37012.jpg

Awesome work and I'm looking forward to seeing more of these guys in the future.

Cheers,

First, thanks for the compliments :) .

Yeah, I see what you mean with the eye glow effect. This is like my second attempt ever at OSL so I was kind of "monkey see monkey do" just using this thread

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...showarticle=127 as a guidline for glowing eyes. I didn't think I should "light up" the eyebrows either but I saw other people do it, and it looked good, so I did it. But with my next batch of marines here I'll experiment a little more now that I got a bit of experience with OSL.

Thanks for pointing that out ;). Oh, and you aren't hijacking the thread, I appreciate the examples (cool marines btw :P ).

EDIT: I guess in theory you should light up the eyebrow part, but only the underside, which would be next to impossible while still retaining the depth and shading of the eyepiece.

So when can we see a full army of these guys?

Will some of them have combat shields?

(Stormraven Hyperion conversion?)

lol if might be a while for that, but I do have some marines in progress and a landspeeder typhoon conversion that I'm very happy with. I'll start a WIP blog when I have my fluff written up.

Archived