Regular Assault Marines or Vanguard Veteran Squad

bmcsw007

Bannus, I pretty firmly believe that a single wound model with no invuln save is a very poor place to spend 30+ points. The only place I take double-lit claws are on Captains (and, potentially, terminator squads). Power Armor just isn't sufficient to cover that model. For those 15 points, you get only one more attack...or you get another marine that comes with more attacks and the ability to take a hit for a guy that does have a lightning claw.

I wasn't arguing for a second claw - but for the advantage of the power weapon vs. a single claw (both are 15 points).

While I would do the dual claws for the coolness factor (it is a shame that it isn't an effective combo anymore), I was stating that the power weapon w/pistol still has its advantage compared to the single lightning claw. See my post above.

Ah, I'm sorry, Bannus. I misread your post there. It's been that kind of day. (Turns out something in the order of a terabyte of data I wanted to run experiments on - given to us by another company - may be complete crap...so my day has been spent analyzing it to see if it is in fact all crap. My contacts are about to fall out.)

Statistically, a lightning claw is strictly better than a power weapon/bp combo insofar as wounds landed. It's slight but significant. That said, if your dice are hot, that extra wound going through is very nice. Once (once) a sergeant of mine with a power sword one shot a Demon Prince. Typically, though, my power sword models fail to wound anybody. :\

Statistically, a lightning claw is strictly better than a power weapon/bp combo insofar as wounds landed. It's slight but significant.

*cough*

True, as long as you're against things that are the same T as your S. If your S is one greater than their T, you're on a par.

Lightning Claws are statistically more reliable though.

*cough*

You might wanna get that checked out, man. :HQ:

ADDENDUM: Allow me to come clean here and admit that I do at times use power swords because they look cool and I have a finite number of lightning claws (less than ten) so between variety and at times a need for a stupidly over-costed glut of power weapons, they do make it to the table. For instance, there is a sword on one of my plasma pistol vanguard guys. Not to mention the TDA apothecaries in the BA dex come with a power sword and that's it. They do wounds on occasion, but the honest truth is the one on the vanguard there is just for variety.

Archived