Dark Angels 5th Company

roninmodern

Hey!

Been out of the hobby for some time, but some friends wanted to start playing again and I have a lot of Space Marine and Dark Angel stuff lying around that I've collected/inherited over the years.

To start off, I began work on an Interrogator-Chaplain last night. He still needs a lot done and I've added things since these photos were taken (went back to a bolt pistol, added purity seals).

I don't know that I like his helmet - I think the teeth might be too pointy... I might try to do one like the guy from From the Warp.

Anyway, a pic of him in pieces, and a pic fully assembled.

IMG_20111102_214203.jpg

IMG_20111102_222525.jpg

The head is a Khorne berserker head that I had on a Blood Angels chaplain some years ago.

More to come soon!

Painting work on the chaplain has begun.

Black on the armor is done, skull helmet maaaybe finished. Dunno if I'm happy with it.

The green on his shoulderpads is done, and I've started on his robes.

IMG_20111105_133826.jpg

IMG_20111105_133634.jpg

IMG_20111105_133815.jpg

C&C is always welcome.

Hail Fellow Battle-Brother, the Light of the Emperor Shines upon this meeting ~smiles~. i feel often a simple conversion can make a model really look fantastic and i like what you have done. as to the painting great start and maybe focus on 2-3 other things apart from the robe, perhaps the chapter icon on the left shoulder and the Crozius and perhaps something else, that way you have things that will attract the eye and stand out, the robes being such a large part of the model is also something you want to take some time over. i wish you well with your painting and hope to see more of your models soon.

peace

This guy started off rough. I've not painted in two years, but I think I'm starting to pick it up again.

He's now all ready except for metallics:

IMG_20111107_232719.jpg

I'm waiting on some magnets so that I can swap a backpack for a jump pack, and I've come up with a name. This is Chaplain Essau.

I have a small (500) point game scheduled for Wednesday, and he'll be ready to lead the charge!

@Shabbadoo - Thanks! The Dark Angels upgrade kit is really a great tool, and for the cost compared to a tactical squad box it's totally worth it.

@Sagan - Thanks! He's almost done!

@Kanan - Thanks for the tips. I've not painted power armor in a long time. I only hope that I get back to as good as I used to be. (Non-power-armoured image)

Updates!

Ok, so I think my chaplain is done! I freehanded the skull on his right shoulder and think it actually turned out all right, but C&C is always welcome.

IMG_20111110_220107.jpg

IMG_20111110_220121.jpg

My 5th Company Master, painted...three years ago? (That's how long it's been since I've touched 40k) :

IMG_20111110_220159.jpg

And next on the agenda. I need to fix these guys up. One needs his bolter painted - in the three years since I did these guys he lost it. The all need their shoulderpads redone - they're being changed from 1st squad to third. 1st squad is for veterans, silly! I'm going to try to do their decals with microset and get them on nice and smooth. Finally, they need their sergeant to be painted up nicely.

IMG_20111110_220404.jpg

And the third squad's ride, which actually doesn't have a lot left before it's finished. Paint the driver and gun, weather it up a lot (especially the white dark angels motifs) and I think it'll be set

IMG_20111110_220420.jpg

After that, time for another tac squad!

look like you have been experiencing some problems with you 'ard coat... it's a shame for those minis are great! I like the attention on marking!

I only used it over the decals on the rhino, and I think that once I put the dullcoat on them, those issues will go away. Did a lot of work this weekend, more soon!

Touchups have been made to the third squad, led by the newly painted Sergeant Harridan. The squad marking on the right shoulderpads have been redone to show that they're assigned the the third squad, and their rhino transport has been finished.

IMG_20111115_222849.jpg

IMG_20111115_222916.jpg

And here's Sergeant Sevante of the fourth squad, which is currently being glued together:

IMG_20111115_222616.jpg

C&C always appreciated!

So, I used to be pretty darn good at painting and I'm completely willing to admit that the models I've presented so far have been a bit...lacking. I think the face on Sergeant Sevante has been the best thing in this army so far...but that's not saying much.

The next tactical squad is going to be entirely devoted to reclaiming my skill. I attempted to paint the armor of a brother-marine this morning, and while it's better than what's in Squad Harridan, it still...well it sucks. By the end of this squad, though, I aim to have this down and looking beautiful. I wonder how well that'll look on the battlefield, to have models of varying qualities in the same unit.

Anyway, here's what I did this morning...took me roughly an hour to paint all his armour:

darkangel.jpg

Started with orkhide shade, then almost completely covered that with dark angels green. Then I attempted to slowly highlight it to snot green, but I don't think I did too good a job with it...it's far too splotchy. Finally, to keep him from looking too much like a Salamander (he really didn't, but snot green is bright) I washed him down with badab black.

So far...Meh. We'll see where this squad goes, though.

C&C welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've finished two tactical marines for the new squad. I'm pleased, but I think I can do better. And so I'm going to.

Anyway, here they are, along with the finally finished chaplain:

Brother-Marine with meltagun

meltaside.png

Brother-Marine with boltgun:

bolter4_1.png

Chaplain Essau:

chaplain.png

This was my first time trying to do weather by painting nicks and scrapes in all of the armour. C&C is always appreciated.

My friend Benjamin is trying to make some terrain out of a ruined chaos landraider. The idea is to make it look completely overgrown with vines and jungle trees. There's even to be one coming out of the top of the vehicle. I asked him how he'd like me to paint it and he said, "Whichever legion is Slaanesh." (His first army is Eldar. Vendetta much?) Guess I'd better learn to paint some purple.

lrterrain.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

When I was half done with the squad I've been working on, I decided to take a break from rank and file marines and paint up my mortis dreadnought.

After a few weeks, his body is finally done! All in all, I'm rather pleased.

I give you Brother Sheol (No relation to the 4th company master):

IMG_20111212_215000.jpg

I'm painting up his autocannons now, and then it will be back to finishing this tactical squad.

• 1 year later...

Hello hiatus. My group stopped playing for a year or so which put me off of painting, but we've recently started up again so I'm all motivated! I'll post new stuff again as well as some things I've finished a while ago.

Like the dreadnought:

Dread_Front.png

Dread_Side.png

I've started work on some terminators. I'd never done the bone color before so I did a test model and think he came out very well:

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

I'm now working on the squad's sergeant, because how can the squad perform at all if the sergeant isn't painted? I believe that I've already improved on the bone a lot:

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

As alway, C&C is heartily welcomed.

Roninmodern, it's looking great! Glad you are back into the painting again, the Terminators are very nicely done, I like the battle damage, appropriately sized and not overdone, but it makes the suit look suitably aged. I like the aged bronze-ish gold for the Crux Terminatus, but I do think you could do something to pick the little rope holding the dagger on the assault cannon out a bit more, it seems like it just blends into the red too much. The bone on your new Sgt looks very nice. Keep it up!

Some minor updates: The the Deathwing Sergeant, now known as Seargeant Edelbert Steiner, is coming along. Metals are done and I've started blocking out reds:

IMG_0133.JPG

I've also started on a Terminator Chaplain, because my Deathwing Knights would benefit greatly from hatred. Yes. I don't know that I'm sold on the bare head - it's the half-bionic one from a really old kit and I thought that bionics on a chaplain would make him gritty, but I'm unsure.

IMG_0137.JPG

C&C always welcome!

Archived