Hardest tank possible

Sons of the Forge

Right I was at work today and got me thinking whats the hardest tank a spacemarine can field from the codex (not forgeworld or expansions). An I came up with this:

Landraider with Chronous special character

Then inside

Techmarine with 3xservitors

This means the LR is immune to Crew shaken/stunned results, on a +2 repairs immobilised or weapon destroyed results and with BS5 quite nice shooting. Though this comes out at a painful 410pts. Not sure if you can have two techmarines attached to the same servitor unit to fix two immobilised or weapon destroyed results on a +2 but that would be 460pts.

So if anyone has any comments or tactics for using something similar or experiences post away.

Guest Drunk Guardian

Land Raider Achilles with Chronus, Master of the Forge, 5 Servitors.

Nobody would want to play against that configuration.

Land Raider Achilles with Chronus, Master of the Forge, 5 Servitors.

He did kind of specify no Forgeworld ;)

Honestly Sons, the Landraider is expensive enough as it is and there are lots of things that can pop it really easily. Its true that with the points you're investing in it, until someone scores a Wreck or Explodes! your tank will be hard as nails and impossible to stop, but all it takes is a lucky die roll to send all of those points down the tubes.

You'd have to be really careful with your movement such that you protect your LR from the weapons that can kill it easily, but if you manage to do that, you could have a serious beast on your hands.

Any vehicle/configuration that is pretty much guaranteed to go down in one turn to half its points value* or less can't, by definition, be hard. 400 points for anything is silly. A base landraider is hard enough to kill without overspending.

(i.e. 5 fire dragons. Vanguard vets with combi meltas. Guard vets with melta guns. etc.)

Any vehicle/configuration that is pretty much guaranteed to go down in one turn to half its points value* or less can't, by definition, be hard. 400 points for anything is silly. A base landraider is hard enough to kill without overspending.

(i.e. 5 fire dragons. Vanguard vets with combi meltas. Guard vets with melta guns. etc.)

(that is why the Achilles and Proteus are immune to meltas.)

It's immune to melta rule and all rolls to the damage table are -1. Good luck with glancing hits (Chronos and MotF and Servitors inside). It has a TFC as main weapon and MM sponsons, TL, I think.

Alex

And it's Forgeworld. Which alters the scope of the conversation from what the OP was talking about.

AV14 immune to melta is a unique challenge to try and deal with. The strongest attacks in the game have a 50% chance of having a chance at doing meaningful damage.

Last time I checked S10 was a little hard to come by in power armor lists. I'm not sure I've got any non-apocalypse list that can effectively deal with those sorts of things, and unlike the previous generation of Necron Monoliths (not sure about the new rules), you can't just ignore an Achilles for the whole game.

I dont mind forgeworld options now im acturally going to look at the LR suggested cause il agree why I have never baught a LR before. The reason is a single melta shot, lascannon, anything S10 or 2D6 penetration can easily take out the LR. Thats why I did say it was a load of points. So allowing FW etc anymore suggestions. I just want to see whats the hardest tank possible as a normal LR is just not hard enough for me nor is it worth the points if a single melta shot destroys it.

It was only an example and the reason no forgeworld was I wanted see what could be made out of the SM codex.

EDIT: can you put chronus on a forgeworld LR I dont see rules were you can? But il assume its a given.

I dont mind forgeworld options now im acturally going to look at the LR suggested cause il agree why I have never baught a LR before. The reason is a single melta shot, lascannon, anything S10 or 2D6 penetration can easily take out the LR. Thats why I did say it was a load of points. So allowing FW etc anymore suggestions. I just want to see whats the hardest tank possible as a normal LR is just not hard enough for me nor is it worth the points if a single melta shot destroys it.

It was only an example and the reason no forgeworld was I wanted see what could be made out of the SM codex.

EDIT: can you put chronus on a forgeworld LR I dont see rules were you can? But il assume its a given.

You can put Chronus in any tank vehicle that can be fields with the SM Codex that includes the Achilles and the Proteus.

The strongest attacks in the game have a 50% chance of having a chance at doing meaningful damage.

Only 1/3 actually. -1 to damage table rolls, offsetting the AP1 bonus.

Alex

I should have been more specific - 50% chance of getting a glancing or penetrating hit, either one of which can result in meaningful damage. AV 14 requires a 4+ with S10 to affect.

You can put Chronus in any tank vehicle that can be fields with the SM Codex that includes the Achilles and the Proteus.

Chronus doesn't really add lasting power. I'd rather have a techmarine and extra armor if I were trying to make a LR last longer, all you are getting is an extra shot from ignoring shaken and BS:5 you still get one shot without him from either a template or twinlinked weapon from Power of the Machine Spirit. If I were trying to make a LR more deadly then I would buy Chronus. If Chronus could repair with that servo arm of his, that would be different.

The strongest attacks in the game have a 50% chance of having a chance at doing meaningful damage.

Only 1/3 actually. -1 to damage table rolls, offsetting the AP1 bonus.

Alex

I should have been more specific - 50% chance of getting a glancing or penetrating hit, either one of which can result in meaningful damage. AV 14 requires a 4+ with S10 to affect.

Just to add a silly bit of trivia ... the orks have a weapon that can be Strength 12, but it kills a crew model when it rolls that high. So the strongest attack I know of can damage AV14 on a 2+. The weapon is wildly unstable (but then so are ork players) and a zap gun will only get S12 in about 1 in every 3 or 4 games but it can get up to S12.

Archived