Who Here footslogs and how?

thade

So while you are footslogging (I personally don't count bikers as foot sloggers) I guess you use infiltrate and scout... maybe even outflank often! The problem is for people who are foot slogging with no form of special deployment.

I'm sure you understand what I'm saying, I just wanted to make it clear to everyone.

i did add that as a caveat in the post you quoted.

the list has the match the use and tactics, if your footslogging you need a list that can handle that, so bikes scouts etc with mobility and reach would do better than a tac squad on foot.

foot troops like tac marines really couldnt do well footslogging without fast support, whereas bikes and scouts can..

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if any of the Badab War characters from IA would help. In particular the Raptors and Mantis Warrior ones give stealth and infiltrate respectively as their chapter tactics...

I've been running a Chaos Horde recently with pretty good results. All on foot of course.

I'm not finding the lack of transports to be a problem. Admittedly I don't have any Guard Leaf-blowers to face, but being slow doesn't seem to be a problem. The enemy generally has to come to you, as it's too hard to shift 20 fearless marines with "chipping" attacks.

When I started out, I ran foot-slogging black templars all of the time. I just didn't have the rhinos, yet.

IG tanks tore me to pieces. As did skimming, bladestorming eldar. How I learned to hate Doom, Guide, and Bladestorm.

I have been using rhinos and land raiders to great effect, though. I think I'm going to surprise one of my buddies with a return to foot-slogging list. Maybe against the Chaos player. For grins and giggles.

It is a laugh when you show up with no vehicles and your opponent has lugged along a buttload of points of Melta/Melta carrying vehicles.

Exactly. I've been running so many 2x Land Raider lists lately, it would throw them for a loop.

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes play with no mech units just to throw off my usual opponents. I recently played a 2500 point game with three objectives. I was the defender against a massive Eldar force with 2 of their transports. My opponent brought two full units of fire dragons with exarchs and even a phoenix lord. These two units were a waste of fire power and were destroyed (along with their vehicles) in close combat with Terminators by turn three.

I went into the battle with one of 3 objectives held. I knew I had to be a porcupine so I did a refused flank. The objective in his deployment was at the other corner almost of the 4x8 table. Those guardians were out of the fight. In turn three it was a battle to see who could get the other objective to my right. I lost one tactical that had started out closest to it by dire avenger and another phoenix lord but they put a hurting on long enough for Kantor, Librarian, and another tactical to reach the objective and win the combat at the end of turn 5.

Without vehicles I had to play defense until the time was right. My snipers, Sternguard, and Terminators, destroyed anything that approached my little corner. I had to depend on a good run and an assault move to make the distance in time. If I had not it would have been a draw.

Running without transports has hurt me before but this time it did give me enough points to run a Thunderfire cannon and put some upgrades on my command squad.

• 3 weeks later...
I mean any of the marine codexes, really

If I run a foot-slog Troops list, the entire force works best when deployed in a 24" area so that it can better support itself should the need to melee counter-assault arise.

I suspect this applies to space marine armies as well as my Thousand Sons.

It's important to note that sometimes "baiting" the opponent with a single unit on your forward deployment while keeping the rest of your force just behind it on its flanks has great pay-offs. I'm talking about the over-zealous assaulty players who throw their Storm Raven 24" into the enemy on their first turn, for example. Big mistake, regardless of the goodies inside there. When this sort of player does this to a Mech'd up space marine list it takes away their benefit. You just bought rhinos for your troops? Well the enemy just came to you. No more need for rhinos, especially if the Stormraven is a 600+ point sink so you'll cripple his army by destroying it (and its cargo) after he charges out and annihilates your "bait" unit.

I stand firm on the idea that foot slogging marines works and there is an Ultramarine army in my area who stomps most opponents with the most balanced list you've ever seen due to target priority skill.

-Persi

1 Grandmaster, 20 paladins, 20 strikes. 12 psycannons (8 being MC and relentless), 56 S5 shots and 2 S4 shots. id say thats a fair amount of fire output, the option to deepstrike everyone is nice and 5 kp is muy bueno :). everyone at 24" range is rough but not unworkable

I actually have 3 mostly footslogging lists:

Necrons (1750 pts)

HQ

Nemesor Zahndrekh

4x Crypteks w/ HoD, 1x pulse

Destroyer Lord - Scarabs, Weaver, Scythe

Troops

5x Warriors

5x Warriors

5x Warriors

5x Immortals - Tesla

Fast

10x Scarabs

6x Wraiths - 2x Pistols, 3x Coils

6x Wraiths - 2x Pistols, 3x Coils

Heavy

3x Spyders - 1x Gloom

3x Spyders - 1x Gloom

Deathwing (1750 pts)

HQ

Belial - LC's

Troops

5x Deathwing Termis - 4x TH/SS, 1x TH/SS + CML

5x Deathwing Termis - 4x TH/SS, 1x TH/SS + CML

5x Deathwing Termis - 3x TH/SS, 1x CF/SB, 1x TH/SS + CML

5x Deathwing Termis - 3x TH/SS, 1x CF/SB, 1x TH/SS + CML

5x Deathwing Termis - 2x TH/SS, 1x TH/SS + Banner, 1x TH/SS + Apoth, 1x TH/SS + CML

Fast

Speeder - CML + MM

Speeder - CML + MM

Speeder - CML + MM

Heavy

Vindicator - Dozer

Vindicator - Dozer

Daemons (1750 pts)

HQ

Fateweaver

Bloodthirster - Blessing, Might

Elite

5x Fiends - Might

5x Fiends - Might

Troops

5x Horrors - Bolt

5x Horrors - Bolt

5x Horrors - Bolt

5x Horrors - Bolt, Changling

Heavy

DP - MoT, Bolt

DP - MoT, Bolt, Wings

DP - MoT, Bolt, Wings

I've had good success with all of these, and while not really counter-meta lists, they work well and I have no complaints. Of course, my other two lists (Blood Angels, Dark Eldar) are very mech heavy in comparison. I like playing both ways. I honestly don't get those players who have 5 or 6 armies that are all MSU-mechspam.... I like playing different armies and then making that army play nothing like my others.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, loooong time footslogger here. In my local meta, transports have a life expectancy of one, maybe two turns at most. If you are lucky. Lots of AT fielded, because that is what people play. My usual horde o doom is a captain w SB, LC, AA and maybe an aux grenade launcher, and a MB, a MOTF w CB, 4 servitors to back him up (sometimes I drop the cappy for other toys) then I get into the boots. 3-5 tacticals at 200 each (I'm kinda obsessive about 'building block' units) a flight of 3 LS Typhoons, a TFC (good lord I love my scratch built TFC) and Dread's to season and taste. I have won several tournaments, and placed well (top 3 usually) in pretty much all the rest except for my first RTT (Old iron warriors..*shudders* unkillable super preds FTL!).

In my experience, even ork hordes and nid swarms can't stand up to the might that is 30+ marines laying down the dakka. I have even gone without the dreads and LS's and been effective. There is something about 50+ marines firing away from whatever cover you have that seems to unman your opponent. The TFC and CB are great ways of encouraging your opponent to come a bit closer, and then its time for the tacs to earn their paychecks. Multiple ML's and LC's to make your opponent a footslogging army as well, and let the fun begin.

Unless you are facing an IG armored company, they usually just don't have enough templates to kill you off really. If you are facing a template spamming horde of rus's then well, you probably would have been walking anyhow if the scatter dice were with them, right?

Foot still has a place, you just have to believe in the Armor of the Marines!

and the fact that you can unmech them as well.

Move here from much older post to continue newer thread

If we're talking marine horde, I know of one way that I think works pretty well. For a 2k army, bring in a Libby in termie armor with Gate and Null, 4 Tac Squads with lascannons (and whatever other upgrades you want), a scout squad with sniper rifles, an Assault Terminator Squad 10 strong, two Missile Devie Squads, and a Thunderfire Cannon.

Decent mobility (Not necessarily speed, more on the reach part of the equation), a piece of bolstered cover to take advantage of (there needs to be some sort of survivability upgrade to ensure that your staying power is maximized), and a boogie man squad of 10 terminators to act as a bubble wrap or super harassment depending on the opponent and mission.

This is not entirely theoretical: There's an... apprentice of mine that I guided into making this list, and it's being pretty damn mean to the rest of the local scene because of the critical mass of bodies packing big guns and the fact that they are backed up by one of the best assault units in the game, either protecting his stuff or gating about, being a nuisance and driving back field elements out of their hiding places and right into the sights of the lascannons/missiles.

With the emphasis on mobility in 5th edition (siezing objectives, etc...), foot armies need to remain mobile and advance. Even marines need to run a horde, and a horde of 3+ armor saves is a beautiful thing.

5th gave us cover saves from our own units, which is rather sweet for footslogging forces. You can even intermingle to get cover on all your front squads with good positioning. This is huge.

Owning only the BA Dex at the moment, cheap SP for FNP on every squad with a model within 6" is also pretty sweet for a footslogging list.

I also think taking a tactical note from the Roman conquest of Spain is also useful. Basically, bring enough bodies to control most of the table so you can compel engagements and restrict enemy movement.

I'm currently considering a primarily infantry army right now (and wouldn't mind seeing a reason to pick up a regular marine dex if they do it better than BA). My thoughts:

-10 man squads and combat squadding are necessary

-Tactical heavy weapons are cheap, use them

-Devastator Squads might be best fielded combat squadded with 2 HWs in one of the squads and just bolters in the other.

-A squad of Terminators to spearhead for the army is probably advantageous.

-CCW upgrades on veteran seargents probably necessary

-Every non-HW toting squad advances into rapid-firing range to secure objectives and project force.

In 4th edition it was possible to hit 100 power armored bodies on the table in 1850. I haven't checked with 5th edition yet, but that would be my target number. Assuming BA, 6x10 tacticals is 170x6 = 1020, 3x10 Devastators is 170x3 = 510, so 1530 points before upgrades. Going to want some weapon upgrades, so 100 bodies is looking unlikely, but 90+ looks perfectly doable. (Librarian, 2xSP, 120 points of weapon upgrades). Could go with scouts to free up points, but then you don't have 90+ power armored bodies.

Might be entertaining to take a 2500 point footslogging army to 'Ard Boyz. Add a terminator spearhead to that, another Librarian, and a couple more SPs. Fielding more than a full battle company sounds like fun.

That idea sounds pretty fun, Squirrelloid. But just an FYI - one of the more recent FAQ's stated intermingling only gives one squad cover, not both. The squad with a model "in front" gets no cover save.

Are assault marines (or any unit of jump infantry) a necessary part of an all-foot list, just to go and contest objectives?

Are assault marines (or any unit of jump infantry) a necessary part of an all-foot list, just to go and contest objectives?

I would say not necessary, but extraordinarily useful in a list with so little mobility- though thade's OP was questioning 6" movement only footslogging :devil:

In fact I was, and I still wonder about it. I may man up and try it myself...my haitus is coming to a close (I haven't gamed in like two months due to holidays and work) so I need to ease back into it before I do anything crazy.

My Draigo wing force is still doing pretty well, and has no vehicles in it. 17 models at 1500 points and I win way more then I lose.

My main problem with foot slogging is having to plan ahead, and the chance of being slowed from taking enemy objectives due to lack of speed.

I think I really need to check out a regular marine codex. The BA points per model on Tactical marines feels punitive compared to assault marines. Maybe regular marines still get them at the 4th edition cost. Paying 20 pts per squad more than you used to really adds up! Including the devastators, that's almost 200 points more for the same number of marines. And, if anything, the basic marine got worse relative to the competition...

A 10 man Tactical squad with flamer and missile launcher (the most common load out and cheapest as well), comes at 170pts, which I'm pretty sure is the same as a Blood Angels Tactical squad. In fact, C:SM is what started that new pricing, as Marines increased by 1 point and the Sergeant's upgrade is included in the base cost of the squad. However, the Tactical squad also gained bolt pistols, frag and krak grenades, combat tactics and combat squads, so I'm fine with that 1pt increase, especially as that effectively reduced the Sergeant cost by 5pts IIRC :ph34r:.

Archived