first army, first finished minitures

bigbearballew

hey guys.

this is the first army ive ever worked on. i chose blood angels as my first army and i finished a few miniatures in the last couple of days. 2x assault marines. one angels sanguine pattern and the other hybrid of BA and AS pattern, just testing look on that model. 4x death company. i just want some honest opinions of the painting quality. keep in mind its my first run at this and any suggestions that can help me out would be appreciated. thanks.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/b...ew/IMAG0156.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/b...ew/IMAG0155.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/b.../IMAG0154-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
not a bad start, I would just thin down your white..try painting a slightly darker color under where the white is supposed to go, that way its a much less harsh contrast from black, and you will have to use fewer coats. Line highlighting the armor would really make the black pop. Try a darker gray.

Everyone starts somewhere. :)

One of the biggest things that will help you is to thin your paints. I know painting white over a black undercoat is awful, but if you want a smooth finish you should thin your paints so that it is about one to one ratio of paint and water. With some paints you can use a little less or a little more water depending on what the paint is like. I do 2:1 water to paint when using my Vermin Brown or Codex Grey because they are already thick paints with lots of pigment in them. Thin coats also prevents high gloss finishes (unless that is your desired result.)

The other thing that improves the quality of your models is just spending the time to shave off the mold lines. When I clean my models for painting, I spend probably three to four hours (sometimes longer depending on the sculpt) getting the model clean and free of mold lines. I'm not as concerned when I am painting tactical marines, but I do take my time with them as well. Removing the mold lines and thinning your paints are probably the two biggest pieces of advice people will give on here. I've been on the forum for seven years now, and God only knows how many times I have said these things to a starting hobbyist like yourself. :D

The last bit of advice I have for you is to undercoat areas that you want red or white with grey. Codex Grey is a good basecoat for Scab Red and Skull White. Because grey is a neutral color, it makes it a lot easier to put on the lighter pigmented paints, but it doesn't make painting black a nightmare as if you were to undercoat white.

Don't give up! You will get better with time and practice. With this hobby, you get back just as much as you put in!

Archived