Heresy Era Thousand Sons

AnDyzZzoRe

Hey everyone, I dont have too much to show right now, but after I primed my models today I was excited and wanted to show them off.

First of all, this is a purely display force at the moment. I don't play very often anyway, and I'm building a display board for them as well.

The shoulder pads and power packs are being sprayed and painted separately, that's why they're conspicuously absent, and the reason some things look wonky is because all the heads, weapons and arms are pinned so i can dismantle them now and paint them, and then re-assemble them once they're finished.

My Dreadnoughts are also pinned which explains the rather odd pose of the Contemptor at the moment.

At the moment I have the 2 dreads, 2 tac squads, 1 dev squad, 1 assault squad, and some other characters .

Sorry for all the waffling on, so here are the pics!

led By Ahzek Ahriman himself

gallery_43755_6628_370392.jpg

Squad 1

gallery_43755_6628_404397.jpg

Devestators, a sharp eye may notice i converted the arms for the heavy weapons into Mk.III so they match the rest of the armour

gallery_43755_6628_1597154.jpg

Assault Squad

gallery_43755_6628_613992.jpg

An unnamed as of yet techmarine

gallery_43755_6628_223452.jpg

The first dread- a Mk.IV Ironclad

gallery_43755_6628_344.jpg

My Contemptor

gallery_43755_6628_616709.jpg

and a knight class titan -

gallery_43755_6628_484808.jpg

So I've still got one tactical squad to build, plus a few characters, and then its on to the actual painting. I'm also on the lookout for that awesome model of Magnus on Ebay.

I'm also waiting for an order of resin bases, so these hideos black bases will be used so i can hold onto something for painting, but they'll be pinned to the resin bases once they're finished.

Thanks for looking!

Andy

Thanks guys! It's nice to hear the thoughts I have in my head eachoed by others. :)

I seriously cant wait to start painting these guys. Its been hard enough to build them. I'm very impatient so when i got all this at once, I had to seriously pace myself and make sure I had removed mold lines, test fitted, drilled etc before I primed them.

I still have 1 tac squad to build, a 5-7man strong unit of terminators which I'm going to use as Scarab occult. Plus a Standard Bearer, and maybe 1 or 2 of the named captains from Thousand Sons. I'm thinking Hathor Maat, and Phosis T'Kar.

Although I don't want to play with these guys regularly,I've built the squads according to the Tempus Fugitives Age of the Emperor Codex, so they are legal in a Heresy Era event.

Hopefully I'll be able to build the other squad and marines by mid next week, then I'll chuck some more photos up, and get started on the proper painting!

Cheers!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, havent gotten much done unfortunately. Been really busy at work lately and had no time for painting.

here's what ive been working on so far, mostly done Ahriman. Hopefully ill have more updates soon!

gallery_43755_6628_8764.jpg

These boys are looking awesome! Its great to see Pre-Heresy TS. They are such a great legion and the modelling opportunities are boundless.

One small critique would be that Ahriman is really missing his 'mage' style collar. It would really give him some extra hight and presence. Once he has a back pack though that might help with the high and extra mass.

Great work!

Thanks for the comments guys,

Thanks Keirdale you're right - Tomb Kings Tomb Guard set has heaps of TK goodies, all the blades in my army have these heads on them. It really adds a cohesive look to the force.

@AngryJohnny - The Knight Titan conversion was fairly simple. I dont have the plasticard skills to knock up something from sratch so i bought the cockpit from ebay. I just used some greenstuff to patch the gaps left on the bottom and sides from the turret weapons and locking mechanism.

I then added some gubbins to the sides, and the straps holding the GK termie in to the back of the cockpit so it had a cohesive look with the rest of the model.

The shoulder mounted launcher is from the Ravenwing landspeeder, and fits perfectly with no gs needed.

again, work has been pretty hectic and I was away for the last 4 days at a paintball tournament, so no painting yet. hopefully I'll resume tomorrow!

Andy

Another quick update, i recieved most of my bases in the mail a few weeks ago but hadn't gotten around to them till now.

Ive cleaned them up and pinned them, next ill prime them, and paint all of them at once, so that I have them all ready for when I finish my individual marines.

heres some pics to show the progress ive made, plus some marines on them to show how they'll go -

a group shot of the 40 bases I have. Im waiting on another 10

gallery_43755_6628_341425.jpg

my ML marine on his pinned base, plus a close up of what they look like

gallery_43755_6628_1043144.jpg

ML guy and my assault squad srgt.

gallery_43755_6628_496896.jpg

assault marine and techmarine

gallery_43755_6628_648564.jpg

Andy

Very nice work ;)

Only one minor critique, the Knight-Titans near foot looks really wonky considering the leg position.

But other than that nice painting and sweet conversions.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas to pilfer ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been away for a while, so I apologise for no progress shots. I have done some more modelling, but no painting as of yet.

Thanks Cyrox, the red is really simple, and I think its a good compromise between time and results.

I start with a basecoat of army painter red spray. The reason for this is I didnt want to paint 50 marines red from a white basecoat. In the end it would probably look better, but I cant justify that time at the moment.

From there a little touch up with Blood Red, then a wash with Devlan Mud.

Once the wash has dried, i start with a 50/50 mix of blood red and red gore.

Then plain blood red, then a 50/50 of blood red and sunburst orange I think?

then just a little touch up of pure orange.

All my paints are very watered down so it might not look obvious in the photos, but thats it.

Hopefully in the next week or two Ill be able to break out the paints again

Cheers,

Andy

Those are nice bases. Where did you get them?

I second this question!

I also add that I am currently drooling over your models.

Beautiful, crisp reds and incredibly well modelled!

Archived