DECISION MAKING CRISIS!

Bigdog

Hi guys,

I'm now at the stage where my first Lamenter Style Art-Scale marine is almost ready for the finishing touches including iconography. Once he's done I've got enough parts to put together another 40 or so.

The downside is that I'm having a complete meltdown over which chapter to go for. I would like a chapter where I can do a fair bit of work with the painting. I see Templars and Raven Guard as mostly black and white with edge highlights so I'd prefer to avoid them and I don't have any bike parts so white scars are out but other than that its open house.

I have quite a lot of spare parts from a previous marine army I recently sold on ebay so I've got enough stuff to make loads of bolter or bolt pistol and close combat troops, lots of power weapons, power fists and a few lascannons, plasma cannons,and heavy bolters. enough to make a devastator squad anyway. I've also got a terminator assault squad box lying around which I was intending to eventually build as art-scale terminators. I just can't decide which chapter to plump for. Here's a few I've considered:-

Ultramarines

Blood angels

Dark Angels

Space Wolves

Imperial Fists

Crimson Fists

Salamanders

Sons of Orrar

Eagle Warriors

Carcharodons

I'm getting reasonably proficient with green stuff and intended to sculpt a lot of the iconography, robes, wolf perlts, honour markings etc and possibly any special characters relating to the chapter I finally decide on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers guys

All of the others are fairly common, so I suggest Eagle Warriors. They have an interesting scheme and there are no Eagle Warrior WIPs on the forum that I know of, whereas there's at least several WIPs of everything else.

Since you asked for a painters army, I've seen a couple of true scale Space Wolf army WIPs, but none that have got to the painting stage. The Space Wolves have alot more colour and creativity involved (pack markings etc) than most of the chapters you've listed. Having said that some TS Imperial Fists or Sons of Orar with kick-ass paint jobs wouldn't go down badly either....

Cheers,

Jono

Wow guys, thanks for the quick replies

I'll restrict myself to the less common chapters (imperial fists, eagle warriors and sons of orrar)

Sons of Orrar might not be an option if I dont have enough beaky heads.

For colour schemes - whats the veteran scheme for fists and eagle warriors? Is it just the usual white helmets and shoulder pad rims?

For Imperial Fists, bosses get a red stripe down the middle of their helmet, if memory serves. As for eagle warriors, dunno, but I think white wouldn't work too well as a veteran marking, seeing as it wouldn't stand out from that paintjob. Now, a gold helmet (or yellow, whichever you use for the aquilla) would work, without doing too much to break up the halved color scheme.

If you are looking for something different I have always had a fascination with the Storm Giants. I do like the Eagle Warriors and think that would be good too. And if I remember correctly the EW follow all codex rules but do reverse for veterans. Blue helmets for vets, and red for sarge.

Ah, a shame you aren't looking at the Crimson Fists. Plenty of battle scarred veterans with ork trophies etc. for conversion but have a pretty flat paint scheme.

I like the sound of the Imperial Fists though.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance but who are Sons of Antaeus? Whats their fluff and colour scheme?

To Brother Chaplain Kage - It's not that I don't like Wolves, I love SW's and have done for years. The problem is I had a spare wolf pack box whihc I sold just before starting this and I dont have any cash to buy more. (what an idiot I hear you say). What I do have is loads of standard marine parts and I'm working on a budget unfortunately. I'd also inevitably want to do a full squad and wolf lord on MASSIVE thunderwolves at some point and I think if I did, I'd spend so much time sculpting that my Mrs would probably forget what I looked like or stop feeding me, neither of which is good. :D

Togusa San - Forgive my ignorance but what's TSOLR? and who are the Sons of Antaeus? What's their fluff / colour scheme?

Magic Dragon - sorry but I'm just not a fan of the colour scheme. I know they have a nice bit of fluff vs eldar craftworlds but just not my thing I'm afraid. Thanks for suggesting something different though.

G3rman - I like crimson fists and was intedning to try my hand at using paint effects for all the chipped and scored armour. the deep colours of the CF would show that up brilliantly and besides I could have a go at a true scale Kantor. If I remember correclty apart from the crux on the left shoulder, the only veteran insignia is that both gauntlets are red, is that right?

1000heathens - I have a copy of IA10 which has Tyberos and Carcharodons fluff in it. I take it they're just a codex chapter but lean towards hand to hand in a big way. Are the IA rules official? The IA rules seem a little sick (ie assault squad with lightning claws and furious charge as troops!!!!! begging for a chaplain and Tyberos in there to take on . . . . .ooh just about everything!! Opportunity to convert true scale Tyberos sounds fun and if he's big it probably almost justifies the severe pasting anything in front of him is likely to get. Could also do Honour Guard with Relic Blades (two handed shark tooth chainswords), shark iconography etc. Saw a guy online doing a termie squad and made judicious use of Tamiya clear red for blood splatter. They looked awesome!!! Apart from the chapter icon and the tribal designs I couldnt see any tactical markings for Carcharodons, do they use them?

I guess the problem I face is that there's so many cool things for marines I just can't make my mind up but its a great help stripping things down. I feel like I'm getting there.

The other idea was to go for a renegade chapter. Not chaos worshipping marines but rather renegades who've turned away from the emperor and set out for themselves. This would entail stripping off all the imperial imagery but would let me keep using the regular marine parts as renegades who have only recently turned.

After a little whittling I'm considering Eagle Warriors, Crimson Fists and Carcharodons mainly. I like the split scheme and strong colours of eagle warriors but feel that changing helmet colours for sergeants and vets etc would severely compromise the overall effect.

TSOL - Turn Signals on a Land Raider (a now dead web comic about 40k)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sons_of_Antaeus#.Trl7pLK2ONU

The Sons of Antaeus are even bigger and tougher than other marines. It is rumored that they have metal laced bones (not unlike Wolverine).

Archived