Crimson Fists

OptiMAT

Just wanted to get some pointers and show off my latest army project.

Been out of the game for a while, so while I'm not a beginner some of the first models came out really rough, and there's a bunch of mistakes been made and going to be made.

Been posting on B&C for a bit now and thought I might start my own WIP thread.

Models are at various stages of completion, so Mods feel free to move this if it's not suitable.

Really want to re-visit the bases more than anything. Even the one's that are done could do with a bit of a re-do, maybe add some patches of dry grass to the sand etc.

Some models still to come also and I'll post their stages up in this thread as they come in. But for the most part, when I get the pictures up, I'll be showing off my Dreadnought, Land Speeder Storm, and Deathwatch/Sternguard unit as they're the current projects. Thunderfire cannon and some termies are on the to-buy list.

There's a few more shots in my Gallery too than what I'll post.

Army Shot (squint)

med_gallery_63853_6649_1288535.jpg

Librarian step-by-step

med_gallery_63853_6649_382402.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_1434254.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_1232937.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_228159.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_235118.jpg

WIP Vanguard w/ Chaplain

med_gallery_63853_6649_690252.jpg

Scout force with WIP bikes and missing LSS

med_gallery_63853_6649_935051.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

These aren't really WIP unless you count the army as WIP because these were the first models but I'm updating some text and taking some more WIP photos as we speak so I might as well put in some images in this post to feast upon and critique. Just sucks that I only have a static grass hill to put desert based models on!

med_gallery_63853_6649_1054002.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_230223.jpg

Just ordered up my first of the latest plastic Terminators which should be interesting, I plan to give them an assault cannon and all be in very 'stand and shoot' poses to match the Librarians similar pose. The only terminators I've had previously where the Space Hulk-esque era with the spinning torsos. Also order up a Thunderfire Cannon as a Heavy Support choice to go with the army because I didn't feel that Tanks really suited the theme. So there's picture of the build of those to come and paint scheme ideas for the Techmarine are welcome.

Also to come (on the gift list) is a Rhino, an Assault Squad (that'll be without Jump pack), and another Scout Squad to fill out the Troop choices.

As mentioned on the painting table at the moment are my 10 man Deathwatch squad to stop me from getting sick of painting blue. Also primed I have the dreadnought which you can just catch in the corner of an above picture that's only had his blue first layer just to get a feel for the overall scheme that I'm going to paint, and ready for his HUGE RED FIST! Also of course the Bikers need to be done but after the first Scout painting marathon I've been leaving them and the LSS till later.

Current plan is:

Deathwatch

Terminators when they come

Devastators

Dreadnought

Thunderfire

Bikes

Scout Squad to order

Land Speeder

Rhino

Assault Squad

Fini! I think that might actually be that army finished. If not just because I'll have ran out of room!

Okay, some more pictures taken and got a little bit further but this shift work has seriously cut into my painting time.

Frist, some more completed models for critique, including the last (I promise) shot of the librarian.

med_gallery_63853_6649_54259.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_455313.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_1011716.jpg

And now my Kill Team from start to first fixing. Next will be the first layers of white, and the fist splashes of real colour like Blue and Red layers.

med_gallery_63853_6649_1093232.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_649987.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_143204.jpg

med_gallery_63853_6649_60388.jpg

Lastly, a primed squad of devastators also on the paint list I wanted to show the poses of because I quite like the squad dynamics.

med_gallery_63853_6649_360181.jpg

Shift work is the biggest heretic to the 40k gaming hobby.

I myself do shift work, have to come home look at the figs then go to bed. Its so cruel, i drive at night so sleep is needed if i didnt have to worry about falling asleep and killing myself and could sleep at a desk i would prob get 2 hrs sleep a day lol.

Dont worry mat you'll get there mate! Looking good too.

Picked up two Assault Squads today to make my 10 man Rhino-based attack squad today because I needed to use up some of the stuff in my bits box.

med_gallery_63853_6649_177758.jpg

included a flamer and plasma pistol so that if I decide to lessen the amount of troops in the squad I can pick and choose.

med_gallery_63853_6649_260870.jpg

Sarge with combat shield and power axe, since that particular photo has more purity seals to make him look special in the squad, salvaged the head from a badly done Chaos Space Marine, filed off his arrow head and he looks like someone who has that urge for CQC beyond the typical space marine.

med_gallery_63853_6649_823388.jpg

Showing off the flamer trooper, who I'm proud of because he still manages to fit into the look of the squad even with a 2 handed weapon, double bolt pistol guy, and the grenadier of the squad (all my squads have a dedicated grenadier for fluff purposes)

med_gallery_63853_6649_614335.jpg

And a generic guy with the devastator sarge arm who's either on the charge or just cut someone up.

They're all missing left shoulder pads at the moment as I'm waiting on the Rhino/Crimson Fists pads from GW.

Hey Optimat, nice to finally see your Crimson fists, right on the models, great army coming on but just a few things on the painting side, the tac sgt with a power swords hilt the same colour as his fist doesn't really go, I see the whole point of the red CF symbol on the sword but it just melts into the actul fist and doesn't give a clear definition, my suggestion, either have the sgts right fist blue, so to make him a sgt who hasn't been in the crusade company or paint the sword hilt gold. Your blue is spot on but I feel it just a little more

Depth and lesser harsh extreme highlights.

Please don't take them comments as harsh ones, this hobbie and forum is all about sharing and learning/ helping one another is key.

Hope my input will help and look forward to seeing anothr CF army grow.

Rob

Time for an update, almost.

Sorry, I thought by posting the images using the BB Code form the Gallery they'd be smaller.

Those terminators came in the post. The new plastic sprue is a little hit & miss, IMO. I did make some rookie mistakes, not really checking what was special about each chassis before attaching them then found out I'd got them mixed up! So stupid; plus, the Deathwatch style shoulder pad was a little bit of a surprise, but didn't have much a need for it this time. They accompany my Librarian in termie, so I used the book from the librarian on the sarge:

gallery_63853_6649_1232478.jpggallery_63853_6649_913514.jpggallery_63853_6649_198252.jpggallery_63853_6649_304770.jpggallery_63853_6649_1228536.jpg

Also, the Thunderfire cannon came but no pics yet.

Got myself the metal shoulder pads for the 10 man assault squad so they're ready for priming in the same block:

gallery_63853_6649_76508.jpggallery_63853_6649_81548.jpg

And lastly, Pedro and his Honour Guard WIP:

gallery_63853_6649_984374.jpggallery_63853_6649_1538896.jpg

Needs moar shots of those though because the shots I did have had focus issues. Manual Focus is killer.

Thought I'd show Pedro so far.

gallery_63853_6649_215407.jpg

Not sure how I feel about the Satin Varnish, shown now in this picture.

gallery_63853_6649_167406.jpg

He looks a little bright, there but I think that's just the top lighting combined with the camera flash. While I did do a better job of shading thanks to using a white undercoat highlight with black basecoat in the recesses, he's still not THAT bright.

Archived