Tank Buster Libby

Knurd

I have been considering using a Lib to fill the armor busting role, maybe choosing Blood Lance and Sanguine Sword. Has anyone ever tried using the Lib this way? If so, how effective is it?

Currently, I play a DoA list and usually run 2 or 3 ten man squads with a power fist and 2 meltas and if i have extra points ill throw in an IP or two. Would a Tank Buster Lib compliment this well or is there another unit you would recommend?

It seems like a "eggs in all one basket unit". Remember if your 2 meltas/ IP manage to crack that tank your unit can only assault that tank. Not the unit coming out of it. So a Libby with tank buster abilitys would do better in a unit that does not have ranged melta like Sang guard, VV.

In a unit with 2 meltas, a PF, and an IP with a Libby with Sang sword, and Lance is to hot of a unit to be on the table you will find that any smart player will aim every ounce of ranged weapons at you to take out your 'can opener squad'. IHO your better to use the Libby on a SG squad Thats what I use and its an ace squad.

Remember if your 2 meltas/ IP manage to crack that tank your unit can only assault that tank. Not the unit coming out of it.

That would be wrong there, old bean... If you destory a transport in the shootign phase, you can indeed assault the transprted unit after they have spilled out of the wreck (other assault rules still apply - like charge range, etc)

I have been considering using a Lib to fill the armor busting role, maybe choosing Blood Lance and Sanguine Sword. Has anyone ever tried using the Lib this way? If so, how effective is it?

Currently, I play a DoA list and usually run 2 or 3 ten man squads with a power fist and 2 meltas and if i have extra points ill throw in an IP or two. Would a Tank Buster Lib compliment this well or is there another unit you would recommend?

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. Dealing with the unit's making up most MSU lists, including their transports, is not very difficult. You'll find yourself killing off a small inexpensive squad at the cost of your expensive JP squad more often than not.

The greatest strength for DoA (or rather JP in general) is spreading out and using your superior movement and multi assaults to deal with several units (mostly vehicles) at once. Since shooting only has to deal with one target, usually a weak transport, but your close combat attacks can deal with several units at once, having plenty of anti AV power in CC is great. If you want to add more shooting use a supporting unit like honor guard with melta to compliment your AV fire or plasma for making a dent in tough MEQ units like grey knights that your regular marines can't quite handle.

The thing with blood lance is that even if you hit many units you can only assault the first one hit. In a multi assault, or assault VS a weak unit like IG vets where you want to bring few attacks on purpose to get stuck in the enemies combat phase, you are likely to assault a unit as far away as possible.

Blood lance is a good power on dread librarians, on a JP one you are likely better off with sword/shield or sword/rage. Throwing in an IP or two is a better way to give you margin for error when poppin vehicles. Taken on the librarian it is short ranged but always works and doesn't prevent him from using any powers later in the CC phase.

Remember if your 2 meltas/ IP manage to crack that tank your unit can only assault that tank. Not the unit coming out of it.

That would be wrong there, old bean... If you destory a transport in the shootign phase, you can indeed assault the transprted unit after they have spilled out of the wreck (other assault rules still apply - like charge range, etc)

Where are you basing this off of. I dont see anything in the assault rules that support this, as well as how I was taught to understand the rules. Shooting at the transport means you can not assault the troops inside as they are a different unit. Was wanting to see where you were basing this from.

Thanks,

Where are you basing this off of. I dont see anything in the assault rules that support this, as well as how I was taught to understand the rules. Shooting at the transport means you can not assault the troops inside as they are a different unit. Was wanting to see where you were basing this from.

Thanks,

Its in the transport section of the rules, not the assault section.

Thanks,

Its in the transport section of the rules, not the assault section.

This. BRB pg. 67 , second paragraph under the Destroyed - explodes! heading. "...if a transport is destroyed (either result) by a ranged attack, the unit that shot it may assault the now disembarked passengers..."

yep- not even a faq or errata needed for that one, gents... Unfortunately i told dk by pm, should have also put the answer up here too i suppose... Read the book, read it again, and then read each page carefully a third time. You'd be surprised what you can miss.

yep- not even a faq or errata needed for that one, gents... Unfortunately i told dk by pm, should have also put the answer up here too i suppose... Read the book, read it again, and then read each page carefully a third time. You'd be surprised what you can miss.

Good advice only I would add that even after that third time through you will miss subtle interactions and everyone on occasion gets some rules wrong! :tu:

AS for the libby Its an interesting Idea. I could see it being fun to drop him in solo vs. some guard and steam rolling a wall of tanks with the lance.

Lance and Sword are both good powers, although I would be somewhat hesitant to use them together, as they are both fairly short-ranged, which often means you will want Shield to ensure that your guys aren't getting wiped out too badly while closing the distance. However, it's not unworkable- my Terminators + ASM list flirted briefly with it before swapping Blood Lance for Fear the Darkness. There are certainly lists you could run it in with a decent level of success, especially if you have another Librarian (or Furioso Libby) providing cover to units.

Archived