(ARTWORK) Something old, something new, something...Blue

Colrouphobic

Thanks Olisredan.

New blogpost; http://studiocolrouphobia.net/2012/03/13/c...rtwork-and-wip/

Has a full illustration and a WiP in it.

Showing the full art here, because I feel the WiP need the explaining you can find in the blog accompanying it...

http://studiocolrouphobia.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/feastofbladesanddetails.jpg

www.feastofBlades.com , details are at 100% paintingsize.

Enjoy!

*nerdgasmcoupledwithexplodyheadsyndrome*

Despite the fact I am of the male gender, I'd like to have your children.

Okay, when they turn into monsters I'll just drop them off at yours. You took this onto yourself mate ;)

Someone just kicked their skill level up a (large) notch. ;)

C&C,

His eye-lenses could do with a touch up, it looks like he has floating daemon eyes and not lenses. (fitting in a Chaos/Possessed sort of way but prolly not good for a BT). This is only really visible for people with good eyes & bright monitors though.. :lol:

In short, I love it, very atmospheric and grimdark.

Sweet manetee of galilee, that's an awesome picture. Quick question - what chapter is that victorious marine? Because he's looking very Raven Guard-y to me...

Cheers guys, Yeah it's a Raven Guard vitorious over an Iron Knight. I am not terribly knowledgeable on the Feast of Blade but apparently it is something mostly Imperial Fists and "offspring do, along with Raven Guard and one or two other Chapters/Legions!?).

Nihm- The main reason for the eyes to look like they do actually has with size of packaging to do- They needed to stand out a little so I had to add a little more glow to them. They where positively darked out before ;) But you are right. Will fix for the next job!

Just checked up on the Feast of Blades to make sure but it's just between the Imperial Fists and their successors. So... meh. Nevermind. On the upside though, in my mind, it now creates this interesting scenario as to why exactly a Raven Guard would be there. What would the reason be? Hmm... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Just checked up on the Feast of Blades to make sure but it's just between the Imperial Fists and their successors. So... meh. Nevermind. On the upside though, in my mind, it now creates this interesting scenario as to why exactly a Raven Guard would be there. What would the reason be? Hmm... :)

Yeah, I'm going to just claim innocence right now. The definite clearance on the Feast of Blades being an exclusive IF+successors-thang came in the LEgion of the Damned book. Which was released some 7 days before I began painting the illustration. Needless to say, neither I, nor the client, actually had read the part about the Feast of Blades when the ilustration was completed, hence our lack of knowledge on the subject.

Glad you liked, glad it inspires ideas ;)

The only thing I don't like is Lorgar being so pale, but otherwise, flawless

It will work out just fine in the end, the Lorgar image is just an underpainting, meaning that there will be quite some more painting done before it is done.

How about a little something new?

Fantasy Flight Games sent me the contributors copy of Hand of Corruption, which mean I can show the images I illustrated for it.

Images in blogpost:

http://studiocolrouphobia.net/2012/03/27/t...-releasing-etc/

It's got an Adeptus Arbites and an Iron Warrior... that should cover the Power-armour part, no?

Yeah, I'm going to just claim innocence right now. The definite clearance on the Feast of Blades being an exclusive IF+successors-thang came in the LEgion of the Damned book. Which was released some 7 days before I began painting the illustration. Needless to say, neither I, nor the client, actually had read the part about the Feast of Blades when the ilustration was completed, hence our lack of knowledge on the subject.

I think it was pretty common knowledge the Feast of Blades was IF and successors before the book was released as it was heavily spoken about by GW staff members and on other forums since it first came to pass in the Codex.

Still though lets hope you can change that Raven Guard to something else. :)

Yeah, I'm going to just claim innocence right now. The definite clearance on the Feast of Blades being an exclusive IF+successors-thang came in the Legion of the Damned book. Which was released some 7 days before I began painting the illustration. Needless to say, neither I, nor the client, actually had read the part about the Feast of Blades when the ilustration was completed, hence our lack of knowledge on the subject.

I think it was pretty common knowledge the Feast of Blades was IF and successors before the book was released as it was heavily spoken about by GW staff members and on other forums since it first came to pass in the Codex.

Still though lets hope you can change that Raven Guard to something else. :confused:

I am not inclined to agree about that,

it was never spoken as consencus. It was assumed by many fans and hobbyists to be an exclusive IF and successors thing, but it was never corroborated by any form of official fluff or likewise until the release of the Black Library book. In fact, as far as I understand it, it was even debated to be a loyalist thing instigated by the IF by quite a large group of fans, meaning that there where fractions among fans thinking about it differently.

The only fluff that mentioned it had a list of of IF-successors as participants, but only ten chapters named. It also said there where twelve chapters present at each Feast of Blades. On top of this it also said that not every chapter in the list would participate every time.

Pretty fast one would come to the conclusion that either there are far more successors to the IF then noted anywhere, or there are other chapters involved. What you chose to believe came down to assumption.

Regardless of which, what fans believe is irrelevant in the end and had this image surfaced half a year before the book came out it would not have created half of the argumentation, because people would not have cared enough. Not even on this forum. Not until the book came out (if the image still held interest, that is)

Point in case- when I first posted the Sanguinius illustration some years ago, I got a lot of praise, but almost every single comment I got also had an attached "but he seems kind of huge!".

Since the Horus Heresy books came out, describing the Primarchs as being way larger then the Space marines, I don't see a single comment on that since the release of Fulgrim basically.

So the job has been done, the client was happy and I have moved on to other clients work.

I am glad that people like the image because of it's looks.

I feel with the people who remark on the improbability of the events taking place in it and I am sorry to not have had all the facts when creating it, but that will not make me come back to an image I am very happy with and change it based upon the fact that the title of the illustration is "Feast of Blades".

If I'd called it "friendly jousting" nobody would have cared, even if the image is for an event called Feast of Blades. The fact that I called the illustration what I did seem to have spurred a host of "disagreeing" everywhere and I must say I find it unbecoming.

Hence I move on and hope that everyone else would do the same.

I will not discuss this anymore, it is what it is.

Something I worked on for quite a while (not this image but the chapter it represents)

http://studiocolrouphobia.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/angelscruentismarine-davidsondered.jpg?w=899

Angels Cruentis Standard Bearer.

This is not by far completed, and the entire image is a bit larger...showing the standard he is holding. And some more... stuff.

Things not completed (though sketched out and/or partly done) are- standard, Chainsword, Tabard, Backpack, Pauldron with mosaic pattern (shown in the preview above) SpaceHulk interior background with marines fighting genestealers... (so there's sort of no point in showing those parts just yet)

• 3 weeks later...

So here is a long awaited update to the blog. Got some stuff in there of interest, but since it's been a while I'm going to spoil one of the images right here.

This is an illustration of a Lantern Marine for DasOmen on Heresy Online (http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98844)

http://studiocolrouphobia.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/000completedcharachterillo000.jpg

And here is the full blogpost-

http://studiocolrouphobia.net/2012/04/20/m...tle-art-update/

I like your work alot but that last image looks off. You have the hand with a 3 quarter view but the bolter is in a 2D view. If you were holding a gun like he is the angle of the wrist/hand would continue to the bolter. I think it would just be more realistc.

Grey88.

I like your work alot but that last image looks off. You have the hand with a 3 quarter view but the bolter is in a 2D view. If you were holding a gun like he is the angle of the wrist/hand would continue to the bolter. I think it would just be more realistc.

Grey88.

Though I can appreciate your concern, you need to consider that he isn't firing at the moment, he is moving. To be able to hold it proper when you move, you usually hold the gun in such a fashion. I speak not only from checking countless reference, but also from personal experience with sub-machine guns, heavy machine guns and rifles. All of which I carried and used extensively during my military service.

Then consider the bulk of the marine's armour, which would, technically, actually accentuate it. The option would be to let the marine drop the gun with one hand, only holding it with the left. But that makes it more time-consuming to pull the gun up again if firing becomes necessary.

I, and the client, wanted a "calm" shot of a marine walking through the battlefield, but not firing. This seemed like the best pose.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
The lantern marine is fantastic. Incredible work. Love all the detail and the glowing lanterns look great. You have definitely stepped up your game since the beginning of this thread. Glad to hear you do commission work now too.

Chers Andrew J!

Since I got so much positive comments on it, I thought I'd post the Stormwarden WiP right here. Please remember that it is cropped(!) and still WiP. It's not done, and the final image is a full-figure illustration.

http://studiocolrouphobia.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/khullainpreview002.jpg

The rest of the images are found in the blogpost I previously linked to.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived