New Dark Angels Audio Drama

Vazzy

Here's the thing. How fast does "only hunting for the Fallen" get? I'd say very damn fast, I've been a fan for a lot less time and I'm tired of having that thrown at my face whenever DAs are involved. They -need- redeeming aspects or else they'll come across as a boring, uni-dimensional Chapter.

And yes, you did pick apart separate sentences and injected them with unintended meanings. Maybe you did so unintentionally, but it's there, and you'll discover where if you re-read what I said -as a whole-.

Here's the thing. How fast does "only hunting for the Fallen" get? I'd say very damn fast, I've been a fan for a lot less time and I'm tired of having that thrown at my face whenever DAs are involved. They -need- redeeming aspects or else they'll come across as a boring, uni-dimensional Chapter.

Space knights is the common and generic theme for every SM out there. They are all space knights to some extent. Isn't that getting old (and dare I say boring) fast? Having a borderline Chapter is infinetely more exciting and interesting. In the end of the day what distiquishes DA is that background. Take that away or play it down, in my view, will result in something close to Kadillus marines. Cool an'all but they could be Raptors for all I care...

And yes, you did pick apart separate sentences and injected them with unintended meanings. Maybe you did so unintentionally, but it's there, and you'll discover where if you re-read what I said -as a whole-.

This is what I got from your text and highlighted the areas I disagree. This is common practice. If you feel I misunderstood your point feel free to clarify. Again you have your vision on DAs and I have mine and I explained in detail where we differ. Accusing me of manipulating your text (apart from being insulting for no reason other than we disagree) is also implying that in some way I need to prove you wrong. There is no such intention because as I stated (in the previous-previous post) it's a matter of personal perception. 40k lore allows for that. And I am genuinly interested in reading other peoples perceptions - especially when they don't coincide with mine.

I think it could be argued that the "Hunt the Fallen!" theme gets tired fast because all but one of the tales we got from that angle came in the short story format and showed little variation. The reason for that, I think, is that the format itself didn't allow for much character development. And going even further to that reason, the Fallen themselves never really got anything more than a name, a rank (from the Heresy era), and one of two soundbites: "The Lion betrayed us!" or "The Lion was weak, hail Chaos!"

Worse, half the time the Fallen don't seem to live up to the descriptors in the Codex. Most of the stories deal with some jerk on some backwater planet involved in some second-rate rebellion. Where are the Fallen "... sowing death and misery across whole sectors and waging bitter wars that have lasted decades and cost the lives of billions" from their "planetary empires"? Even Astellan's reign of power ended anti-climactically, when he pretty much just surrendered.

I guess you could make the argument that the Dark Angels are just that good. They nip most Fallen problems at the bud, when they're at the "... taking control of entire armies and lesser men and leading them to their destruction for [their] own ends" stage.

So I definitely think there's room for improvement in terms of how the enemy that defines the Dark Angels is presented.

On the flip side, though, I don't think the "space knight" theme would necessarily get boring for the Dark Angels, either. As with all themes of that sort, it really comes down to the author's skill. How skillfully does he or she transpose a familiar concept in the milieu of 40k grimdark? How convincingly do they mesh the mentality of a "dark knight", if you will, with that of a post-human Astartes?

Agreed, if you just throw a bunch of knightly adjectives on an Astartes and call it a day, it looks cheap and generic. If you over-do it, you risk losing the 40k/Astartes feel altogether. I think Helsreach was a great example of the balancing act I'm talking about.

Anyways, gotta run!

Archived