Standard or Venerable Dread?

demio

Hey all I don't have much gaming experience but I have been looking at the points cost difference between standard dreadnoughts and venerable and I just cant see how the extra stats and re-roll is worth it.

I will be taking 2 dreadnoughts if i take them as standard instead of venerable that gives me another 120points in a 1750 list.

What is everyones experience with these am i right in going for the standard dreadnought or are the venerable's worth it?

Cheers all.

Ven Dreads are more of a fun fluffy unit than competetive. I like them, and they are great fun. BS 5 is just great. It helps to make that one multimelta shot hit. Like wise twin link weapons are a waist of points for ven dreads. Non twin link weapons are better able to benefit from BS5. Assault cannons are very nice on them.

The Ven Dread's reroll can be a miraculous lifesaver- or it won't matter one whit. Example: one of my opponents rolled an "Explodes!" result against my Ven Dread. I (of course) told him to reroll it, and wouldn't you know it, but another "Explodes!" turns up. But things can be quite frustrating for your opponent if their rerolls are poor, keeping your Ven Dread alive much longer than normal.

What Confusion says about the weapons is basically true- its kind of a waste of points to give a Dread with Twin-Linked weapons BS5. Two rolls of 3+ is plenty, it doesn't need to be two rolls of 2+. But don't let that stop you if you really like the idea of a tough Dread that never misses :tu:

Ven dreads are more worth it in a mid to longrange load out. they are also great against non MC's in CC. just be carefull of the 12" range, the +1 for ap1 and double pen on meltas can make a reroll useless.

Over the last 3 years I have spent playing dread heavy lists, I have done both full Ven dread lists, normal Dread lists, and mixed lists with varying degrees of success. One thing I take away from this time is that the lists with normal dreads have more substance to them (I.E. more models, more firepower, more room for other stuff). Ven Dreads don't bring enough advantages for the exorbiant price they charge IMO.

Have to agree with Sparton, if you're gonna use a vendred just use one with others.

i've been running 4 riflemen dreds with one of them a venerable. (its a master of the forge list, also included are two vindies)

the re-roll 2+ might be seen as a waste but when that efffing guard vendetta needs to be splashed, it helps fine. (too many guard players here have all vet armies :))

The best Venerable loadout ever is multimelta, heavy flamer, DCCW, extra armor, in a drop pod. You get him in close to a priority armor target Turn One, blast it with a multimelta that hits on a 2+, the Venerable rerolls lets you keep it alive during the opponent's turn, and if it is still mobile with its DCCW, you can charge it into infantry and against MEQ, you're getting hits on a 3+ instead of a 4+ and killing on 2+. I've got a dread like this who has a kill count now that includes four Land Raiders of varying marks, two Falcons, and three or four Vindicators -- all Turn One pops.

And I'd imagine the Venerable ability would be handy in letting it pop other tanks in the second turn if need be, and then charge the infantry inside!! :tu:

Yeah, the Falcons were hard targets -- I've gotten two of them, but that's out of like seven attempts (grumbleholofieldsgrumble) -- and even killing them wouldn't keep the Dread safe because they're invariably carrying Fire Dragons. The Venerable reroll is the only thing keeping the Dread alive in a situation like that (or the Dragons get pinned on the Emergency Disembark).

Archived