Ice Marines

Reed

Hey Everyone,

Thanks again for the feedback.

Crusader of Dorn - Vanilla ice marines is perfect...hahaha

Togusa-san - Love the idea of the chapter drawing their recruits from Valhalla. Good thinking.

InquisitorHayn - The reference was a pure coincidence haha, but thanks for the compliment.

And, to answer some of your questions, the army will have white bases with blue "ice" on top . I want to make the bases look like the army is out in some arctic, alien wasteland. They will be fairly simple. I've always liked keeping bases basic because I think it makes the army look more uniform. (Also because I've never been great at basing). And as far as the painting is concerned, I tried to take some WIP shots of the painting process for a tutorial, but they turned out bad. So for now, I'll just tell you how I do it.

White Paint:

- I first do a white base coat (I use white spray paint for this. Unfortunately my spray paint seems to run and "glob up" in the fine details of the miniatures, making the rest of the painting process a royal pain)

- I then wash the entire miniature with Asurmen Blue (I'm pretty generous with the wash)

- Then, I start painting with skull white (I use many coats, all of which are extremely watered down. It should literally be like painting with water. Be careful though, the watered down white has a tendency to seep into the crevices on the figure)

- Once finished with the skull white, I add a touch of Asurmen Blue wash to any areas that I feel could use some more depth

- Then, to finish, I add a final layer of watered down skull white to the miniature.

And that's it. Not much to it really. Be warned though, if you do try painting white, and never have before, it takes some time to get used to. The layers take forever to paint (and dry), and the white paint doesn't hide mistakes well. You just have to be willing to keep your cool, and let the paint do the painting.

Anyway, thanks for looking and commenting.

More pics/updates to come shortly!

-Reed

• 1 month later...

Just a small update:

Haven't gotten much more painting done, but I have been doing some modeling. Here are a few shots of my army's new commander:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/commander2.jpg

And from the side:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/commander3.jpg

The model is still pretty rough, but any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking, more updates to come soon!

Reed

I love these guys! :lol: They look wonderfully crisp and the colors match perfectly. If I ever played a loyalist army I think I would probably try something like this. For now though my painting skills aren't up to this level. :blush:

Commander looks good I think. May be just the lighting but he doesn't look rough at all to me. A pretty dynamic pose.

@AngryJohnny - Somehow missed your comment when I read through the thread today. Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like the color scheme. I've been on and off trying to decide between a few different ways to paint these guys. Comments like yours help reassure me that I picked the right one haha.

@Tanith Ghost - Thanks! I'm glad you like them. And as far as your painting skills, I'm sure you could pull off an army like this if you tried. Compared to some of the other guys on this site, my painting skills could use a lot of work. So, just keep on practicing, and there is a good chance you will soon be as good, if not better than me at painting.

Another small update:

Finished building some more models. Enjoy:

Marines

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/troops1.jpg

Standard-Bearer

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/standard2.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/Standard1.jpg

Terminators

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/termi1.jpg

As you can probably see, I have strayed away from the idea of making this army "stealthy". I think I'm just going to go all out with this one, and buy whatever looks like it would be fun to paint haha.

@Battle-Brother Ludovic - Thanks! I'm hoping to start painting these new models ASAP. Gotta go buy a new can of spray paint first...

@Cyrox - Yea, I definitely need to make some sort of chapter badge. I should probably come up with a name for the chapter first though haha.

Thanks for looking,

Reed

As you can probably see, I have strayed away from the idea of making this army "stealthy". I think I'm just going to go all out with this one, and buy whatever looks like it would be fun to paint haha.

That's the best way to do it mate :D

Those standard bearers are really cool and have really dynamic poses, which is great!

Looking forward to the next update!

Ludovic

@Kodanshi - Thanks! The color scheme is yours to yoink haha

@Brother Melice - The commander's banner came from the Bretonnian Knights of the Realm kit, and the other one came from the Empire Knightly Order kit.

@Battle-Brother Ludovic - Yea, I just wasn't feeling the stealth theme. I felt like my creative freedom in terms of what I could make and paint was being capped. Now I can build/paint tanks, termi's, and dreadnoughts... much more fun this way haha. Thanks for the feedback.

-Reed

• 2 months later...

Long overdue update:

First off, some WIP marines:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/2spacemarines.jpg

Second, some pictures of my chapter master:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/chaptermasterfront.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/chaptermastertop.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/Platypus098/chaptermasterback.jpg

Any feedback on the chapter master would be appreciated. Also, not sure what color I should make the bolters. Any suggestions?

@Redemption2994 - Thanks for the input. And I agree, Asurman Blue is an awesome wash.

Thanks for looking.

-Reed

The white on these guys is really nice. Really like your standard bearer as well. ive had that banner in my bits box for years wondering what to do with it. For the Chapter Master Im not too sure about the Dark Angel parts sticking out to the side. I personally would remove those. Im not too up on the technique but Im guessing you are going for a true/art scale look for the chapter master?

I personally dont like the Ravenwing parts sticking out the side. It looks like you tried to have wings on him and decided to use those to be different but it doesnt look right to me.

I think you should go with black, grey or silver for the bolters. Unless you want some kind of contrast then try red. Even a dark blue would look good to me.

These looks great. As for the bolter colour.... i think you could actually get away with ANY colour you want. Personally I wouldn't want to break up the perfect white, so i paint the casing white also =)

And a quick note on you stealth theory... to me, Space Marines arnt stealthy at all. They are massively armoured killing machines that have no fear. Having said that, some chapters (Ravenguard) do use hit and run tactics. I'd say take a look at their fluff, possibly your chapter could be a successor as you want the whole hit hard and fast theme =)

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. For those who care, I finally found a decent name for the army. I think the chapter name will be the Frost Runners. Still not totally set on that, but it's growing on me. Let me know what you think.

@Biohazard - Yea, I've had those banners forever too. I never knew what to do with them either. Glad I finally found a use for them. As for the DA parts, I'm still deciding whether I want to keep them on the Chapter Master or not. They do look a little funny, but I like them. I went with a space marine torso rather than a terminator body because I wanted the Chapter Master to look a bit more agile than a standard terminator. That's why he turned out looking like a true scale marine.

@Commander Sasha - Glad you like the DA "wings"! You may be the only one besides me haha. And yes, I will definitely be checking out all the new paints coming out. A white paint that actually works would be great!

@Captain Juan Juarez - hahah sounds good!

@Andrew J - I never intended for the Ravenwing parts to be actual wings. Rather, I just wanted something to make the model standout from the rest of the army. I decided these parts were kinda cool, so I put them on as a sort of decorative piece. Maybe they can act as jump pack stabilizers or something... Who knows haha. And yea, I think I may end up going with grey or ultramarine blue for the bolters. Thanks for the advice.

@Inquisitor_Lensoven - Yep, this thread's been up a while... mostly because I'm a slow painter/modeler haha.

@Battle-Brother Ludovic - Thanks! And yea, I knew people weren't going to like this chapter master. It's kind of a strange looking model, which is why I like it haha. Hopefully I can change some opinions once I've painted it.

@S'jet - Glad you like them. If the grey or blue bolters don't work out, I think I may go with white. Could look pretty cool. As for the stealthy theme, you are right, space marines really aren't stealthy haha. I figured that out half way through painting these guys. Like you were saying, I'm probably going to try and make them a quick strike type of army.

-Reed

Archived