Contemptor WIP

Redfinger

I just received this in the mail today. When I first saw the Contemptor a few months ago it when it was first released I knew I needed one, and I knew it needed studs on it. I will be picking up a 2nd one soon and these guys will be my "count as" for dreadnoughts in my Imperial Fist army. The right assault cannon arm is magnetized and I have the Mulit-Melta, and Lascannon and I am working on a scratch built missile launcher arm. The base is still a WIP as well, and will be fashioned to look like an elevator platform that he is stepping off of.

Ashton

IMG_6000.JPG

I like the pose you have going on there, says "You! You're next!" to me. I'm curious, what did you use for the studs on his legs? Looks pretty sweet so far! Can't wait to see it based and painted! ;)

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good call on the studs. They look great. Can't wait to see it all painted up.

God i love Contemptors, mine arrived today!

I love the pose he is in and the ball bearing detail is nice!

Thanks, when I get home from work tonight I will snap some pictures of the progress, he is all base coated and I am ready to start with the shading.

Ashton

So here is a quick update. He is all basecoated and the first stage of shading is done. I am not in too much of a hurry with this guy, so I will let him sit and dry for a few days before coating and moving on. The yellow was achieved by first priming white, then using army painter Demonic Yellow to put a very thin coat of yellow on, following that was a coat of Vallejo Golden Yellow. Then came the Windsor and Newton Cadmium Yellow, followed by Burnt Umber for the shading. The next step will be to block in all the areas where metallic will be with black.

Ashton

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6042.JPG

Very nice start so far. Are you using an airbrush or painting with a brush?

Both, the oil paints are applied via brush. the blending that you see in the picture was done with a brush, I only used my airbrush for basecoating.

Ashton

Both, the oil paints are applied via brush. the blending that you see in the picture was done with a brush, I only used my airbrush for basecoating.

Ashton

That makes your painting even more impressive in my eyes. The shading is very well done so far. Are you planning any freehand on him? The model has so many flat armor plates that it would be a shame no to include something special on him.

Ashton

That makes your painting even more impressive in my eyes. The shading is very well done so far. Are you planning any freehand on him? The model has so many flat armor plates that it would be a shame no to include something special on him.

My freehand skills are sub-par, it is something that I have just never gotten down. So probably no freehand, but I do have some unique plans for decals and weathering that will help break up all the flat areas. Also, once the shading and highlighting is all complete the contrast will be quite high and that will break up the panels as well.

Ashton

More progress was made today. I added the first highlight via airbrush, this brings it from more of a brown-yellow back to a true yellow. I also painted the studs, and started blocking in some areas in chainmail. Lastly I added the decals it helps fill the empty space while not detracting from the over all simplistic design of the model. I have also blocked in a few spots in my white base-coat as well. After the decals have set for a day I will seal them and then add the final highlights and shadows and start doing the weathering and paint chipping. I also included a picture of the base. It is made to look like the model is stepping off of a lift, I will probably add a number onto the lower lift and it will get some nice rusting and metal chipping too,obviously there is still some clean up work to do on the hazard stripes, but all in due time.

Ashton

IMG_6044.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6049.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

Archived