Company Veterans and Chapter Upgrade

Trystt

I know this question has been asked before, but the most popular thread about it seemed to go off on a tangent and I never really found a straight answer.

What's the difference between the Dark Angels Company Veteran pack (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1400016&prodId=prod1060236) and the Dark Angels Upgrade Sprue? (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1400016&prodId=prod900140a)

Is it just that it comes with the single extra sprue for space marine accessories? (i.e. flamer, plasma gun, missile launcher, etc.)

I could be wrong here, as it was literally years ago that I last laid my eyes on the upgrade sprue but the upgrade box seemed to contain a whole lot more DA heraldry, ornaments and general aesthetic fluff if you will, to give your army a true DA look, rather just than SMs painted Dark Angels Green with the relevant DA transfers put on. My evidence for this lies in the form of the very few plastic pieces that survived, which were promptly superglued onto a newly bought Ven. Dread to 'upgrade' him into the Dark Angels chapter.

(The fledgling DA army which I bought; in order to start my own; from a mate who thought he was interested in the hobby, only to find out he wasn't two months later; even included a 'My first bitz box' which was just a wooden pencil box filled with the contents of the upgrade sprue, since returning to the hobby and my angels of death after a two/three year break I have lost this very valuable bitz box, and have turned the house over looking for it, I assure you)

Like I said, the only Bitz I still have from that collection are glued onto a dreadnought, which are two plastic sword 'decorations' that go nicely onto the flat top area of the dread's shoulders and dread knee guards with DA heraldry with them.

Those bitz in particular certainly weren't in the veteran box set which I bought the other week, and I was disappointed when I bought the veteran box because, it didn't have as much ornaments and stuff in it as I remembered from this elusive bitz box.

Ofcourse, there is always the possibility that all those other Plastic DA upgrade parts that I remember having were not from the upgrade sprue at all but from a different box all together, in which case, I will look like an idiot.

The DA Company Veterans set, the DA Command Squad set, and the DA Upgrade sprue all use the same DA sprue. If you had "DA" bits that weren't in those sets then your bits box likely had bits from the Black Templars Chapter Upgrade sprues(as it is very common among Dark Angels players to use some of them too) and/or the Ravenwing/Vehicle Upgrade sprue.

you get bases with the company vets box. thats it :-)

Nope. There's also a regular "command sprue" (that is, the one with special weapons, sergeant upgrades and so on). I know because I recently ordered a box of veterans and an upgrade sprue, partly because I wondered what the difference was :tu:

The DA Company Veterans set, the DA Command Squad set, and the DA Upgrade sprue all use the same DA sprue. If you had "DA" bits that weren't in those sets then your bits box likely had bits from the Black Templars Chapter Upgrade sprues(as it is very common among Dark Angels players to use some of them too) and/or the Ravenwing/Vehicle Upgrade sprue.

I switched straight from Templars to Da, they certainly weren't BT bitz.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were from a vehicle upgrade or ravenwing sprue though.

And those cretins in GW told me there was no DA command squad set! that I should get the vets set, order a separate apoc and convert

That's actually beyond annoying.

And those cretins in GW told me there was no DA command squad set! that I should get the vets set, order a separate apoc and convert

They weren't lying, there isn't any longer. Back when they brought out the DA, and the BT's, they released special command squads, but they were limited kinds of things. When my local shop opened up a few years ago they had managed to score one of each, but they couldn't get more after that because they weren't made anymore.

They weren't lying, there isn't any longer. Back when they brought out the DA, and the BT's, they released special command squads, but they were limited kinds of things. When my local shop opened up a few years ago they had managed to score one of each, but they couldn't get more after that because they weren't made anymore.

Oh well, that's not bad then, I thought GW were just up to their old tricks again and trying to swindle a few slightly immoral sales.

Archived