WIP Dreadnought - Priory of Dorn

AngryJohnny

I'm almost done with my Dreadnought for my DIY Chapter: The Priory of Dorn. This is the 1st model to receive the Chapter's modified color scheme.

The Dreadnought is almost done, I just have to finish up some highlights & a little bit of shading.

Any suggestions for improvement before I finish it up?

Honored Brother K'Neth

gallery_26418_3623_498028.jpg

gallery_26418_3623_455039.jpg

gallery_26418_3623_115229.jpg

gallery_26418_3623_906294.jpg

Reason for edit: Posted better images.

That is a very well defined and smooth paint job. The only spots you missed are a few of the exhaust pipes little circular holes, there are a few still white at the bottom. I feel a wash or two, and some minor/major weathering effects on the metal bits would really make this beast shine! Specifically, on the flamer, multi-melta barrels and the exhaust pipes- a mix of drybrushed darker steel (boltgun/chainmail with a dash of black ink/paint- you only need a TINY bit) shades and a few lighter highlights- chainmail, chainmail/white for the top of the barrels.

Your lenses are awesome too. :D

Maybe do some shading/washing on the chest insignia, crux terminatus details?

Looks sweet lad, agree base needs a little to seperate it but on the whole looks wicked. Good job.

And Love the Tac Term flamer looks sweet i have a spare one i might use on my next dred if i can steal your conversion idea.lol

Good work Dorn would be proud

@lolita23q: Thanks for the suggestion; I agree the base is a little "blah". I've never worked with any basing material other than rocks & sand. How difficult is it to use static grass? Do you have any links to some how to resources? I was thinking some brown static grass would look good with the gray rocks?

@d Karma b: Thanks a lot for the feedback on this. I'm really glad to hear that my lenses came out OK. It's the first time I've tried doing them like this. Before this, they were all monochromatic; which of course looked pretty bland & boring. I didn't notice the spots I missed on the exhaust; in addition to correcting that, I'm definitely going to add some heat weathering to the Multi-Melta, the Heavy Flamer & the exhaust. I was thinking of trying out a technique I've seen here a few times using a blue wash on the metals to emulate the metal being heated. If I can't get that to look right, I'm going to take your suggestion with the dry brushing & wash. I don't have any terrain at all, the closest I've got is the base the Dreadnought is standing on. I don't have any spare models to use either. I Think I'm going to try dry brushing the base more & if I get brave, some static grass.

@Cambodia: Thanks for the compliments. The Heavy Flamer is actually the one that came with the Dreadnought kit, but I think the Terminator Heavy Flamer would look cool on a Dreadnought. If you end up doing it, put a link in here for me to check out.

@Kierdale: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to add to the metallic areas, I just haven't figured out if I should try to blue/purple the metals so that it resembles heat damage, or do a soot effect on the metals. I'm also not sure if I should do anything to the metals on the support struts beyond the Badab Black wash that's currently there.

Again, thanks a lot for the feedback on Honored Brother K'Neth so far. I really appreciate it. I want this Dreadnought to be the center piece for my army so I want to get every detail just right on it.

Do you all have any other suggestions? (Keep in mind, this is the best paint job I've done to date, so for now some techniques are outside of my skill level)

No problem AngryJohnny, figured I'd actually take some time to make sure I put some thought into my response. Gotta make it worth your time, no? :tu:

I'm interested in how you'll accomplish the appearance of heated metal, if its anything like what I'm picturing- that'd be absolutely phenomenal. Lemme know how you plan it, or if you can- document it as you try it?

The lenses are incredible, seriously. Thats such a tiny area, I'm afraid to approach them. What brand/style of brush did you use for that part?

As a final suggestion- if you're comfortable with washes, perhaps consider running a thin coat or two of a black or gray wash over this guy, especially the metals. Right now, the highlighting doesnt have much shadow to contrast with, and it'll dull (just slightly enough in a thin coat or two) the rather eyepopping hues you have chosen. Then you can make things like the bone, metal and purity seals really stand out on his armor with some minor highlights/detailing. Cant wait to see more work!

@d Karma b: I came across a YouTube video from one of the board members here going over
. At about 09:30 into the video he does some washes to make it look like the barrels have gotten hot. I was thinking about giving that a try. The brushes I use are from Loew-Cornell. You can pick them up at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. For the lenses I used a 10/0 & a 18/0 brush. I was thinking about doing a wash over the whole model & not just the metals but I'm really scared that it will darken the green paint of the armor too much. I may do a test on some scrap plastic to see how it looks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I've been doing some more work on my Dreadnought. Here are the latest WIP images for him. I've begun doing the heated metal effect to the Multi-Melta & the Heavy Flamer as well as the exhaust.

gallery_26418_3623_777934.jpg

gallery_26418_3623_1192758.jpg

gallery_26418_3623_1606334.jpg

I still need to add a layer of soot, but need to let the washes dry for a bit so I don't mess them up. I also added a black wash to the gold on the sarcophagus.

gallery_26418_3623_221651.jpg

Let me know how it looks so far.

Yeah, I'd run if I saw that thinking stumping towards me. That metal looks amazing, it brings to mind that scent of well roasted heretic under the cover of gunsmoke. All the washes/shading you did on the rest of his larger flat planes looks fantastic as well. My one nit-pick; the gold on his right chest piece, there's some splotches up on the green of the armor- clean that up, and maybe one more wash of something like devlan much to dull the brass a bit more? Otherwise, I cant find another thing that doesnt make me want to paint my dread- right now. :)

Yeah, I'd run if I saw that thinking stumping towards me. That metal looks amazing, it brings to mind that scent of well roasted heretic under the cover of gunsmoke. All the washes/shading you did on the rest of his larger flat planes looks fantastic as well. My one nit-pick; the gold on his right chest piece, there's some splotches up on the green of the armor- clean that up, and maybe one more wash of something like devlan much to dull the brass a bit more? Otherwise, I cant find another thing that doesnt make me want to paint my dread- right now. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really happy with how the metals turned out, especially the heated metal on the Multi-Melta. I really love the GW washes, it made that effect super easy to accomplish.

I hadn't noticed the sloppiness of the gold on the medals on the right side. Thanks for catching that for me. I'll fix that today. While I was looking at it, I noticed the red gem on one of the medals is sloppy too. I'll be fixing that up as well. It's amazing what your camera can catch that your eye didn't. :)

Archived