Devastators with FNP?

Sanguinius Chosen Wing

I'm running a Sons of Medusa force and am able to use the special character which grants your devastators squad FNP for free. I have never used debs mainly due to how overpriced they seem but I decided to try something different. For troops it will probably be two tacticals and one 10 man scouts with telion and snipers again for something a little different to the normal. Any help would be appreciated on effective ways of using devs with that USR

Otherwise feel no pain is a waste on devs.

Unless, of course, your opponent shoots at your Devs. ;)

Which I wager they would do, if you were to stick plasma cannons or lascannons on them.

I'd go with either 2:2 split of plasma cannons and heavy bolters (or all plasma cannons), or the typical krak spam or 1 LC, 3 ML. 10 guys in cover to maximise their survivability, and use them as the crux of your fire support. Watch as your opponent struggles to remove guys from cover short of assaulting them, and even then it'll take them some time to die (unless hit by power weapons).

I'm not sure how it works out, but if you combat squad them you could stick the Sergeant and some bolters into a Razorback and use them up close, but I'd imagine the second combat squad would lose FnP, so perhaps not the best idea. What equipment does the Sergeant have?

One of my common list variants involves two full Dev teams with 4xML and 4xLC among them. Typically I combat squad them (to increase the number of targets they can engage a turn, ideally) and - with 20 marines that may not always be in cover (depending on table lay out) - I definitely sit one of my apothecaries with them (I use the BA codex). It's nice insurance...though I will have one or two other Apothecaries on the field as well with my close-range engagement teams.

One of my common list variants involves two full Dev teams with 4xML and 4xLC among them. Typically I combat squad them (to increase the number of targets they can engage a turn, ideally) and - with 20 marines that may not always be in cover (depending on table lay out) - I definitely sit one of my apothecaries with them (I use the BA codex). It's nice insurance...though I will have one or two other Apothecaries on the field as well with my close-range engagement teams.

I used to do this, but decided the FNP wasn't worth it. Of course, I was running less devastators than you and may change my mind if I increased the numbers.

Any weapon that is more expensive than 15 points is over-costed. Heavy Bolters are ineffective against many vehicles, MM need to be close on not static backfield. That's why I don't see me taking anything other than ML on Devastators. If I need Lascannons or Plasma Cannons, I'll field them somewhere else. (And another bad thing about gets hot! is that you don't shoot at all when you roll a 1, whether you save the wound or not.) Don't cluster your S9 in one unit. spread them across your army. 4xLC in one unit is at best one dead vehicle. No guarantee of that versus AV 13 (newcrons).

Alex

I used to do this, but decided the FNP wasn't worth it. Of course, I was running less devastators than you and may change my mind if I increased the numbers.

With only a single unit of Devs, I'd never consider this; but when you have that many Devs they are typically the bulk of your ranged anti-tank. Very good way to put a hard lock down on a firing lane, with more durability, threat potential, and range than things like Vindicators, but their mobility is severely restricted (really, they can't move at all). When I have that much of an investment in them, it makes sense to me to stick some FNP in there. ;)

It's a sons of medusa army so as long as they look like they have bionics they get FNP for free. So it's a basic codex force with a HQ which is a MOTF with toughness 6 strength 5 with a thunder hammer and a 4+ invul. I was think plasma cannon/ heavy bolter mix maybe two devs with that set up and two tacs with meltas and one with a plasma cannon and one missile launcher. I think with free FNP I should really try and find a usable method of deploying devs even if it's a 10 man combat split or just 10 with no extra weapons and just hold up units

The "usable method" is essentially this: during deployment, put them in cover that gives them great firing lanes across the table. Don't move them unless it is absolutely essential to their survival, because if they are moving they are not doing their job- shooting across those firing lanes. This applies if you combat squad them or not :)

FnP is just an extra measure of survivability. If they get hit by weapons that allow FnP, then you're likely getting both their armor save and an invulnerable. If you get hit with weapons at S7 (or less) and AP3, then you get a cover save and FnP. Worst case scenario, your Devs get hit with really serious weapons that allow you only a cover save. If that is happening, then you probably have a lack of vehicles to be shot at, allowing your opponent to direct their big guns at your Devs.

So:

1) Devs need cover to be stationary in for the whole game that affords them good firing lanes.

---- With the right weapons, this can work as an excellent area denial tactic- if your opponent's units that are vulnerable to your Dev's weapons enter the firing lane, they're going to get hit hard.

2) Include in your list something to absorb punishment that would otherwise be directed at your Devs.

---- This can be anything from a moderately armored vehicle (Predator, Vindicator) to something relatively fast moving that gets your opponent's attention (Land Speeder, Bikes, Assault Marines, Dreadnought/other unit delivered via Drop Pod, etc) to a Rhino/Razorback parked between your Devs and the threat to cut line of sight.

Terrain permitting I tend to form a firebase of my devastators and a tactical squad (often a combat squad with heavy weapon), in cover with a priest attached to one unit. This created a very resilient (3+/4++/FNP) element which, with the tactical squad, can also camp an objective. They can be a little vulnerable to assault if anything gets close enough but it can be tricky to shift even basic marines from behind cover.

Archived